Fuel Economy MPG/KPG/KPL

Yata-Garasu_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
My 2014 has been getting around 40 to 41 mpg since I got it a month ago. I've filled the tank 3 or 4 times and it seems very consistent at the 40-41 mpg.

The expected mileage listed by Honda for this bike is 43 mpg, so I'm pretty close to that.

I was surprised that so many people seem to be getting in the 50+ range.

I weigh about 260 in full riding gear. This is an obvious variable.

I was told the dealership where I bought it refilled the oil with Honda G4 10w40.

In fact, they may have overfilled it, as the oil window appears completely full on the center stand... Would having too much oil contribute to poor fuel economy?

I'm not trying to start an oil thread... Lol

I haven't checked the air filter yet either... Too much oil in my Nissan fouls the air filter very fast...
 
Check the oil according to the owners manual and then decide if its overfilled. It does not take very much to go from that top line to over the whole window.
 
I have four tanks through my 2014 Standard now and my mileage has increased with every fill. I use an app on my iPhone called "Road Trip" and track every fill up. When I first got the bike I was a little to throttle happy (which I shouldn't have been, at 230 miles it was still breaking in) and got 41.1 on my first complete fill. Since then I have been more focused on how smoothly I am shifting and accelerating and my mileages since have been 42.13, and 50.91. My driving is probably about 80% city traffic and maybe 20% freeway, all on flat to slightly hilly terrain.

So far the biggest impact on my fuel economy I have noticed is that after my first two fill ups, I have tried try to keep my RPM's between about 2000-2500. Anything less than 2000 feels like it is lugging a bit even though it has the grunt to pull itself out no problem. I plan on running about 10 tanks of ethanol free 91 Octane ((R+M)/2) and then running another 10 tanks of just plain old 85 octane (common low grade fuel here) to see if there is any appreciable difference within that 2000-2500 RPM riding style.

I suspect there won't be as I have tracked every tank of fuel in my vehicles for almost ten years now and I have never observed a difference between fuel types. Any differences I have seen basically comes down to things you either can't control, such as differences in wind, hills, routing, number of stoplights, etc., or one thing, RPM's. The lower the RPM's and the higher the gear, the farther you travel on a given amount of fuel. The bottom line is that it took using the data from an app to train myself out of stomping on the accelerator. :D
 
I dont think I've ever gotten below 52 mpg. Then again I'm easy/smooth on the throttle and brakes, tend to ride in 6th a lot, and not many stops/starts where I ride. My highest mileage was 78 mpg while riding in the Rocky Mts with Longranger and Offroad 4x4.
 
On behaved rides I typically averaged about 5.0 L / 100 kms. On conservative days I managed average down to about 4.2 L / 100 km. On manic days, average was up to 6.0 L / 100 kms.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
On behaved rides I typically averaged about 5.0 L / 100 kms. On conservative days I managed average down to about 4.2 L / 100 km. On manic days, average was up to 6.0 L / 100 kms.
Thanks for your reply.

I forgot that metric countries measure liters per 100 kms. I knew it was something like that, but I couldn't quite remember, and it's too late for me to edit the post title!

Thanks for understanding what I meant even if I said it wrong!

6 liters / 100 kms = 39 mpg
5 liters / 100 kms = 47 mpg
4 liters / 100 kms = 58 mpg

Looks like we're all getting comparable fuel economy.

I ride my bike around town and rarely have a need for 6th gear. I suppose if I did more highway riding I'd get more miles per gallon.
 
Yata, if I ride my bike around town, the fuel consumption rises considerably. It's much better touring. Over 130,000 + Kilometers I've averaged 5.27 litres/100 kms.
 
I have about 7000 miles on my 2017 EX and have never seen a tank below 50 mpg. Usually it's in the mid-50s and once just under 60 mpg. I weigh about 150 lbs. and never carry a passenger or significant other weight.
 
I have averaged 45.8 mpg, strictly measured over 27,000 miles with a calculator. I ride my bike very easy, never exceeding 6,000 RPM. (Ok, maybe once or twice). About 50% of my riding is two-up, with a combined total weight of 330 lbs. 10% of my riding is around town, 30% is at freeway speeds (70 - 80 mph), and the remainder is back roads, that are fairly hilly. Maybe someone can create a spread sheet for this forum where we can all enter our mileage figures?
 
Dave, what would you want to see in the spreadsheet?
 
Couldn't people use fuelly?
 
Haggard Rider_imp said:
Ayrshire Dunx_imp said:
Maybe UK riders get 50+ as our gallons are different?
Yup, fairly constant 55mpg for me. Or around 20km/l or so
Yup, fairly constant 55mpg for me. Or around 20km/l or so
Good numbers. However, the British gallon is 0.8 L larger :) than the U.S. gallon.

Nevertheless, it equates to about 5.14 L / 100 kms, and is similar to many Forum members. :thumbsup:
 
I got a tankful down to 48.2 today but it required a 180 mile round trip ride at mostly 70-75 mph lol.
 
Back
Top