Front suspension?

Customariliy Japanese bikes are over damped and under sprung. I usually end up with stiffer springs and lighter oil. Progressive Suspension, Race Tech, and Works Performance have lots of info on their web sites in including spring recommendations.
 
I agree with CBXBob, Honda's do tend to be under sprung and over dampened.

I've done some research and discovered the 2004/05 Honda 599 (CB600F, Hornet) has the same conventional 41mm Showa front fork setup as the CB1100/A (not the /SA, Deluxe, which has two different length springs for some reason... still researching... ).

Racetech lists front fork springs for the 599 http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/Honda/599-CB600F Hornet/2004-05

I run 5w fork oil in all my Honda street bikes, this combined with fork springs for my weight (205 lbs) works great, for me.

TINK

CBXBob_imp said:
Customariliy Japanese bikes are over damped and under sprung. I usually end up with stiffer springs and lighter oil. Progressive Suspension, Race Tech, and Works Performance have lots of info on their web sites in including spring recommendations.
pechorin75_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
Ack-CB11_imp said:
If the forks have been opened, the wrong fluid height would cause this also.
As Ack mentioned, it sounds like there might be too much fork oil installed. This would allow the initial sag to occur when sitting on the bike, but once you've reached maximum compression for the amount of oil in the tubes, I don't believe that it's going to give any more. The end result would be a very small amount of travel left to absorb bumps and such.
Reading the service manual, it would appear that simply removing the forks and checking/correcting the fluid level is a (relatively) simple procedure. And if I'm understanding correctly what the others have said, taking the forks out of the triple clamps entirely ought to resolve any potential binding issues...so I'm thinking that's what I'll try.
Perhaps that is the way Kawi did it on their KZ in the old days, but the Showa forks that Honda uses require you take the spring out, compress the fork, add oil then measure height. Fork needs to be vertical when checking oil height, hence the need to remove the forks from the bike.
 
Traditionally, Japanese bikes are set up for a 160 lb. rider.

As someone suggested, rather than worrying about measuring the fork oil, one could empty forks of all oil and then add the specified amount. Since that needs to be looked into, the cost of fork oil into the process is not too much. And if it's suspected the oil has been changed or adjusted by the previous owner, it would be best to dump it out and start over with the correct type and amount of fork oil. I believe the Honda SS10 is standard in this bike.
 
+1 red. That's what I would do for sure. I had my forks off when I installed my gaiters it's a easy job to remove the forks dump oil and refill.
Michael
 
I found the HyperPro spring to really smooth the front out. The front didn't seem bad until I installed rear shocks. Now it rides and handles wicked bedda' :D
I'd go 10w instead of the 15w that comes with the springs. I'm 165lbs
HyperPro on the left:
 
Thread starter
Red Mist_imp said:
Traditionally, Japanese bikes are set up for a 160 lb. rider.

As someone suggested, rather than worrying about measuring the fork oil, one could empty forks of all oil and then add the specified amount. Since that needs to be looked into, the cost of fork oil into the process is not too much. And if it's suspected the oil has been changed or adjusted by the previous owner, it would be best to dump it out and start over with the correct type and amount of fork oil. I believe the Honda SS10 is standard in this bike.
I'm thinking I'll probably go ahead and measure the existing level, just to see if it's actually "off" significantly, but still go ahead and replace all the oil.
Ack-CB11_imp said:
I found the HyperPro spring to really smooth the front out. The front didn't seem bad until I installed rear shocks. Now it rides and handles wicked bedda' :D
I'd go 10w instead of the 15w that comes with the springs. I'm 165lbs
HyperPro on the left:


That's something I'm thinking about doing at the same time. Why the recommendation for 10w oil instead of 15w? Would that be different for me, weighing 225?

I've been reasonably happy w/ the rear suspension...wonder if I'd end up in the same situation as you, in reverse! $1000+ for Ohlins is a little harder to swallow!
 
pechorin75_imp said:
Red Mist_imp said:
Traditionally, Japanese bikes are set up for a 160 lb. rider.

As someone suggested, rather than worrying about measuring the fork oil, one could empty forks of all oil and then add the specified amount. Since that needs to be looked into, the cost of fork oil into the process is not too much. And if it's suspected the oil has been changed or adjusted by the previous owner, it would be best to dump it out and start over with the correct type and amount of fork oil. I believe the Honda SS10 is standard in this bike.
I'm thinking I'll probably go ahead and measure the existing level, just to see if it's actually "off" significantly, but still go ahead and replace all the oil.
Ack-CB11_imp said:
I found the HyperPro spring to really smooth the front out. The front didn't seem bad until I installed rear shocks. Now it rides and handles wicked bedda' :D
I'd go 10w instead of the 15w that comes with the springs. I'm 165lbs
HyperPro on the left:


That's something I'm thinking about doing at the same time. Why the recommendation for 10w oil instead of 15w? Would that be different for me, weighing 225?

I've been reasonably happy w/ the rear suspension...wonder if I'd end up in the same situation as you, in reverse! $1000+ for Ohlins is a little harder to swallow!

That's something I'm thinking about doing at the same time. Why the recommendation for 10w oil instead of 15w? Would that be different for me, weighing 225?

I've been reasonably happy w/ the rear suspension...wonder if I'd end up in the same situation as you, in reverse! $1000+ for Ohlins is a little harder to swallow!
The 10w will flow better through the stock valves. Webbike has a valve set now, with those I'd go 15w.
I bet you'll be changing those shocks. The shocks are even more of an improvement then the springs are.
I used this for the fluid height:
[url=http://s303.photobucket.com/user/ACKCR500/media/mproforkoillevelgauge.jpg.html]
 
Aussie_imp said:
Does anyone know what the ideal weight / height is for this bike? When Honda design bikes do they have an 'ideal' or average height / weight rider and then factor in differences through suspension settings/fork oil weight etc? For example I imagine they wouldn't set the bike up in an ideal world with a 40kg rider or a 100+kg rider, maybe something in the middle?
Good question Aussie, and good answer CBXBob and well filled out by Red Mist. Makes ya think, doan it.

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Aussie_imp said:
Does anyone know what the ideal weight / height is for this bike? When Honda design bikes do they have an 'ideal' or average height / weight rider and then factor in differences through suspension settings/fork oil weight etc? For example I imagine they wouldn't set the bike up in an ideal world with a 40kg rider or a 100+kg rider, maybe something in the middle?
Good question Aussie, and good answer CBXBob and well filled out by Red Mist. Makes ya think, doan it.

Cheers
Good question Aussie, and good answer CBXBob and well filled out by Red Mist. Makes ya think, doan it.

Cheers I have found a very nice sweet spot with this bike, me being about the right weight and size for the suspension as delivered (the bike, that is). Going to the 150/70 rear tire helped with cornering clearance and handling by putting a touch more weight on the front tire. Bumping the rear suspension to #3 of 5 really made it right, it don't scrape no more. I also changed the fork oil to an (approximate) 15 wt.

At this point I'm pretty happy with it.

However, I will be doing the reflash, which I am sure will turn it into a bona fide beast. Look out, man!
 
Red Mist_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Aussie_imp said:
Does anyone know what the ideal weight / height is for this bike? When Honda design bikes do they have an 'ideal' or average height / weight rider and then factor in differences through suspension settings/fork oil weight etc? For example I imagine they wouldn't set the bike up in an ideal world with a 40kg rider or a 100+kg rider, maybe something in the middle?
Good question Aussie, and good answer CBXBob and well filled out by Red Mist. Makes ya think, doan it.

Cheers
Good question Aussie, and good answer CBXBob and well filled out by Red Mist. Makes ya think, doan it.

Cheers I have found a very nice sweet spot with this bike, me being about the right weight and size for the suspension as delivered (the bike, that is). Going to the 150/70 rear tire helped with cornering clearance and handling by putting a touch more weight on the front tire. Bumping the rear suspension to #3 of 5 really made it right, it don't scrape no more. I also changed the fork oil to an (approximate) 15 wt.

At this point I'm pretty happy with it.

However, I will be doing the reflash, which I am sure will turn it into a bona fide beast. Look out, man!
Good question Aussie, and good answer CBXBob and well filled out by Red Mist. Makes ya think, doan it.

Cheers I have found a very nice sweet spot with this bike, me being about the right weight and size for the suspension as delivered (the bike, that is). Going to the 150/70 rear tire helped with cornering clearance and handling by putting a touch more weight on the front tire. Bumping the rear suspension to #3 of 5 really made it right, it don't scrape no more. I also changed the fork oil to an (approximate) 15 wt.

At this point I'm pretty happy with it.

However, I will be doing the reflash, which I am sure will turn it into a bona fide beast. Look out, man!

Yeah?

That's nuthin!

I'm about to change the OIL on mine, YO!
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Red Mist_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Aussie_imp said:
Does anyone know what the ideal weight / height is for this bike? When Honda design bikes do they have an 'ideal' or average height / weight rider and then factor in differences through suspension settings/fork oil weight etc? For example I imagine they wouldn't set the bike up in an ideal world with a 40kg rider or a 100+kg rider, maybe something in the middle?
Good question Aussie, and good answer CBXBob and well filled out by Red Mist. Makes ya think, doan it.

Cheers
Good question Aussie, and good answer CBXBob and well filled out by Red Mist. Makes ya think, doan it.

Cheers I have found a very nice sweet spot with this bike, me being about the right weight and size for the suspension as delivered (the bike, that is). Going to the 150/70 rear tire helped with cornering clearance and handling by putting a touch more weight on the front tire. Bumping the rear suspension to #3 of 5 really made it right, it don't scrape no more. I also changed the fork oil to an (approximate) 15 wt.

At this point I'm pretty happy with it.

However, I will be doing the reflash, which I am sure will turn it into a bona fide beast. Look out, man!
Good question Aussie, and good answer CBXBob and well filled out by Red Mist. Makes ya think, doan it.

Cheers I have found a very nice sweet spot with this bike, me being about the right weight and size for the suspension as delivered (the bike, that is). Going to the 150/70 rear tire helped with cornering clearance and handling by putting a touch more weight on the front tire. Bumping the rear suspension to #3 of 5 really made it right, it don't scrape no more. I also changed the fork oil to an (approximate) 15 wt.

At this point I'm pretty happy with it.

However, I will be doing the reflash, which I am sure will turn it into a bona fide beast. Look out, man!

Yeah?

That's nuthin!

I'm about to change the OIL on mine, YO!
Don't you mean "nuffin"? Like the late, great, very great Bob Hoskins. Bob died, too young, yesterday.

WARNING: Thread drift coming up

For the best ever piece of I-am-about-to-die acting, in the best British understated manner please see, in memory of Bob:

Oh cuss!

Cheers
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Red Mist_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Aussie_imp said:
Does anyone know what the ideal weight / height is for this bike? When Honda design bikes do they have an 'ideal' or average height / weight rider and then factor in differences through suspension settings/fork oil weight etc? For example I imagine they wouldn't set the bike up in an ideal world with a 40kg rider or a 100+kg rider, maybe something in the middle?
Good question Aussie, and good answer CBXBob and well filled out by Red Mist. Makes ya think, doan it.

Cheers
Good question Aussie, and good answer CBXBob and well filled out by Red Mist. Makes ya think, doan it.

Cheers I have found a very nice sweet spot with this bike, me being about the right weight and size for the suspension as delivered (the bike, that is). Going to the 150/70 rear tire helped with cornering clearance and handling by putting a touch more weight on the front tire. Bumping the rear suspension to #3 of 5 really made it right, it don't scrape no more. I also changed the fork oil to an (approximate) 15 wt.

At this point I'm pretty happy with it.

However, I will be doing the reflash, which I am sure will turn it into a bona fide beast. Look out, man!
Good question Aussie, and good answer CBXBob and well filled out by Red Mist. Makes ya think, doan it.

Cheers I have found a very nice sweet spot with this bike, me being about the right weight and size for the suspension as delivered (the bike, that is). Going to the 150/70 rear tire helped with cornering clearance and handling by putting a touch more weight on the front tire. Bumping the rear suspension to #3 of 5 really made it right, it don't scrape no more. I also changed the fork oil to an (approximate) 15 wt.

At this point I'm pretty happy with it.

However, I will be doing the reflash, which I am sure will turn it into a bona fide beast. Look out, man!

Yeah?

That's nuthin!

I'm about to change the OIL on mine, YO!
Yeah, well I just changed mine for the SECOND TIME! So my bike is twice as good now.
 
Thread starter
I'm probably going to do my fork work in the next few days. Anybody know why Honda calls for replacing the caliper bolts? Are they "stretch bolts" or something?
 
I put gaiters on my forks. But I did not use new bolts! I'm sure the manual says to but I think it's ok just to torque to specs. If your bike is a 14 deluxe forks hold different amounts of fork oil
 
pechorin75_imp said:
I'm probably going to do my fork work in the next few days. Anybody know why Honda calls for replacing the caliper bolts? Are they "stretch bolts" or something?
Yes, $4/each. Peace of mind, they are the "stretch" type, you should replace them.:angel:
 
pechorin75_imp said:
In looking through various threads on the forum, I don't see a lot of discussion about this...so I'm a bit reluctant to bring it up, because I don't want anybody to think I'm badmouthing the bike...

...but I've now adjusted the forks to the softest possible setting, and set the tire pressure a bit below the recommended value, and I still feel like my front suspension is excessively stiff. (I weigh 225, btw.) More than just firm--almost "bouncy." Enough that it takes effort to ride smoothly over even mild pavement irregularities, because it sends enough shock through the bars to cause unintentional throttle movements. In all the riding I've done (22 years, 8 bikes, ~ 150,000 miles), I've never experienced this before. For a while I thought maybe I was imagining things...but then I rode it back to back with my K1300S set to "sport" mode--which is pretty darn stiff--and the Honda was stiffer.

So what am I doing wrong? I've got four bars showing on the fork adjusters--which, unless I'm misreading the manual, is as soft as it gets. Should I be adjusting in the other direction for some reason? Is it possible there's some kind of issue with the forks? (Can they be set up improperly by the dealership?) Or am I just being a wimp?

Anyway, I'd appreciate any insights or suggestions you guys might have.
I posted a request for info on the suspesion on the new members place and the ferret gave an excellent reply. He has his front set at 4 lines and full soft on the rear. I set mine the same and find it better than the factory settings. I also like a softer ride. Riding today with those settings and recommended tire pressure, I felt comfortable taking curves at speeds that I would use with my R1200R.
 
Back
Top