Front suspension?

pechorin75_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
In looking through various threads on the forum, I don't see a lot of discussion about this...so I'm a bit reluctant to bring it up, because I don't want anybody to think I'm badmouthing the bike...

...but I've now adjusted the forks to the softest possible setting, and set the tire pressure a bit below the recommended value, and I still feel like my front suspension is excessively stiff. (I weigh 225, btw.) More than just firm--almost "bouncy." Enough that it takes effort to ride smoothly over even mild pavement irregularities, because it sends enough shock through the bars to cause unintentional throttle movements. In all the riding I've done (22 years, 8 bikes, ~ 150,000 miles), I've never experienced this before. For a while I thought maybe I was imagining things...but then I rode it back to back with my K1300S set to "sport" mode--which is pretty darn stiff--and the Honda was stiffer.

So what am I doing wrong? I've got four bars showing on the fork adjusters--which, unless I'm misreading the manual, is as soft as it gets. Should I be adjusting in the other direction for some reason? Is it possible there's some kind of issue with the forks? (Can they be set up improperly by the dealership?) Or am I just being a wimp?

Anyway, I'd appreciate any insights or suggestions you guys might have.
 
G'day pechorin. When I got my (second-hand) bike it was set up on the stiffest possible setting. I didn't notice for a bit—maybe until enzo pointed out to me—and have now adjusted it to the factory setting. I can't say I've noticed a similar problem on either setting. The suspension seems fine to me.

So I guess I can't help much.
 
G'day pechorin, I'm with Cormanus on this. My bike came factory set. Since then I have increased the rear spring preload by one notch to compensate for a little "wallow" during cornering, loaded with baggage. The front is soft but not overly so, compared to the VFR 750 at least. I may firm it up a little to trial it.

Have you taken it to a dealer or shop? That would be my suggestion.

Cheers

Bad mouthing? No such thing. I think it's called constructive criticism :)
 
is your machine new, did you take delivery from a dealer? if so I would suggest a visit to a dealer for a quick check for front fork binding. this can be caused by improper assembly of the fork assembly's to the upper and lower bridges(uneven height) or improper assembly procedure of the front axel/wheel assembly into the lower fork cases,(lower fork cases forced together or spread apart) causing the fork cases to bind when sliding up and down the fork tubes.
more questions? want self help? just ask, we riders here are eager to help if we can.
Paul.
 
I found the suspension to be on the soft side. For a quick check put two zip ties on fork, put your setting back down to two lines showing (which I believe in normal) on level ground hold the front brake and compress the shock with your weight over the front end and see what the travel is measuring from the zip to the top of the shock. Maybe someone of similar weight can do the same to compare ( my bike is apart right now) At least you will be able to tell if there is binding in the triples or a fluid issue. I would try this before you bring it in to the dealer.
 
"see what the travel is measuring from the zip to the top of the shock".

I think he means to the top of the lower fork leg (where the fork seal is).
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the responses, guys. I bought the bike earlier this year with around 900 miles....I have no evidence that the forks have ever been apart--but also no evidence that they haven't. One other detail I didn't mention: When I bought the bike, there was only one line showing on the adjusters. Taking it to three lines, and then finally "wide open," I've noticed very little (if any) change in the way the front end feels.

Vfrpaul, interesting possibilities. Would what you're describing cause other issues as well--like sticking in one position, or one fork compressing and the other not?
 
Thread starter
Just saw the other replies. The rear suspension is set where it was when I bought it--one notch above the softest setting. It feels about right to me--a little on the firm side compared to what my other bikes would be with comparable settings, but still damped and not harsh.

I'll try the zip tie measurement...sounds like a good idea.
 
pechorin75_imp said:
Thanks for the responses, guys. I bought the bike earlier this year with around 900 miles....I have no evidence that the forks have ever been apart--but also no evidence that they haven't. One other detail I didn't mention: When I bought the bike, there was only one line showing on the adjusters. Taking it to three lines, and then finally "wide open," I've noticed very little (if any) change in the way the front end feels.

Vfrpaul, interesting possibilities. Would what you're describing cause other issues as well--like sticking in one position, or one fork compressing and the other not?
If you bought the bike used it could be a number of things, check for any scratches on the clutch and brake levers or any where else on the bike for signs it may have been down.
 
Thread starter
CIP57_imp said:
pechorin75_imp said:
Thanks for the responses, guys. I bought the bike earlier this year with around 900 miles....I have no evidence that the forks have ever been apart--but also no evidence that they haven't. One other detail I didn't mention: When I bought the bike, there was only one line showing on the adjusters. Taking it to three lines, and then finally "wide open," I've noticed very little (if any) change in the way the front end feels.

Vfrpaul, interesting possibilities. Would what you're describing cause other issues as well--like sticking in one position, or one fork compressing and the other not?
If you bought the bike used it could be a number of things, check for any scratches on the clutch and brake levers or any where else on the bike for signs it may have been down.
It has a mild scuff on the right bar end from what the previous owner said was a partial drop against the wall of his garage. Otherwise, nothing, and I don't see any evidence that the drop was any more severe than that. The bike rides perfectly straight and handles like a dream (on smooth pavement).
 
I used a bread wrap twist tie to measure mine easier to control tightness and you don't have to cut them off with a dikes. Put on twist tie, push it down against the seal, sit on bike, squeeze front brake tight, work forks 3 times, measure and photograph.

Adjuster with stock 3 bars showing..about 2" travel



adjuster backed out 4 bars showing... about 2 1/4 " travel
[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/suspensionCB1100001_zps5e59775a.jpg.html]

adjuster backed out all the way... about 2 3/4" travel
[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/suspensionCB1100002_zps9d91d221.jpg.html]

I run mine with 4 bars showing

***note I think at about 3 3/4-4" of travel your front fender would smack into your horns.
 
pechorin75_imp said:
Just saw the other replies. The rear suspension is set where it was when I bought it--one notch above the softest setting. It feels about right to me--a little on the firm side compared to what my other bikes would be with comparable settings, but still damped and not harsh.

I'll try the zip tie measurement...sounds like a good idea.
Wow, thank Ferret for being on top of things. I mild drop sometimes can tweak the triples. Try the zips and see how close you are with ferret.
 
BTW just my 180 pound body weight sitting on it used up 1/2" of the suspension

 
Thread starter
I ran out and did the same thing (just sitting), with the adjusters set to 4 bars. I weigh about 225. About 1 3/8" compression.

 
It seems there's binding in the triples, it's a very easy adjustment. I don't have my shop manual so we need someone to chime in here. You need to loosen the triple to relax the forks and get them back into alignment. If i remember correctly you also have to loosen the bolts on the wheel.
 
Thread starter
CIP57_imp said:
It seems there's binding in the triples, it's a very easy adjustment. I don't have my shop manual so we need someone to chime in here. You need to loosen the triple to relax the forks and get them back into alignment. If i remember correctly you also have to loosen the bolts on the wheel.
I have a shop manual, but it's over at my other garage, so can't refer to it right away. If you have a minute, would you mind explaining for the suspension illiterate (i.e., myself) the relationship between the binding you're talking about and the fork compression?
 
Back
Top