Front end wobble when take hands off..?

ozigoo

Running like a top
Thread starter
I sometimes take my hands off the handlebars comming down a hill slowing down, and with my other bike never had any problems. Today I did it with the Honda for the first time and the handlebars started to wobble side to side after a few seconds, so I quickly grabed the bars again...This doesnt seem normal, any ideas...the tyres are pretty new, no uneven wear..maybe headstem bearings? Strange as the bikes only done about 20,000km...
 
Did you drop the bike before? Or had a top box installed at the back?? If bike drop before, check for triple clamp and forks alignment, if installed a top box at the back, try setting the rear pre-load to harder setting...
 
Thread starter
zirconxi_imp said:
Did you drop the bike before? Or had a top box installed at the back?? If bike drop before, check for triple clamp and forks alignment, if installed a top box at the back, try setting the rear pre-load to harder setting...
Thanks Zircon, no topbox but will do the fork alignment and wheel alignment...
 
Every bike I've ever owned does it, even a BMW with the fancy Paralever suspension and steering damper. My Bonneville just had the whole front end replaced and aligned and it does it.
 
I've experienced this too, on several different bikes. Have you ever watched any motorcycle road racing on TV? After the last lap, those guys raise their arms in the air and do fist pumps, high fives, shake their fists in the air, all kinds of celebrating, and the bike tracks as straight as an arrow, but no one can answer why. I had argument with a guy once who said shaking and shimmying never happens on a normal straight bike.
 
Here, Mr Foale explains how wobble is generated.

Tony Foale Designs, article on motorcycle alternative front suspension systems.

Experiments with steering geometry » Motochassis by Tony Foale

(old stuff, but... probably right)

I wonder if wheel stiffness will also be a factor -I guess it is-, and if there is any significant difference between spokes or cast wheels.

My opinion regarding racing bikes not showing the issue: they are set-up perfectly in terms of damping for that rider, that tyre stiffnes/pressure, the whole bike is much stiffer than most road bikes (forks, frame, wheel), and caster angle and longitudinal trail are pretty small, so there is a short moment arm comming from the contact patch, so small "steering forces" are generated from the tyre, and they are overcome by stability that inertia provides.
 
Many years ago I saw an older CB750K on the freeway "ridden" by a guy standing on the seat, just surfing along past traffic at 70 mph. Didn't appear to have any wobble. :D
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Many years ago I saw an older CB750K on the freeway "ridden" by a guy standing on the seat, just surfing along past traffic at 70 mph. Didn't appear to have any wobble. :D
I wonder how old he was when he died ….
 
Thread starter
Yea its strange I have a Kawasaki W400 , which I am supose to be riding for a year until I get my full licence, which I can take my hands off going down a hill and it stays straight as an arrow ,no movement whatsoever over a very long stretch. The guys i ride with, one has a Triumph Bonney, same deal, no movement whatsoever, another friend BMW R 1200 R, no movement... its really frustrating..Checked tire pressures,front to back wheel alignment, checked rear wheel alignment, wheel bearings seem fine, headstem seems fine, went through the fork alignment process - loosening everything ,jumping on the front, then tightening it all backup...all with no change...the front tyre is worn more on one side, but my mates have that as well on theirs ,so Im guessing thats not the problem...might try taking the from wheel off and getting it rebalanced, will also play around with suspension preloads front and rear.....thats all I can think of at present until I get a new tyre...Does anyone else here have this with their CB1100's? cheers for the replies
 
I tend not to take my hands off the bars too often, but I have a recollection that there's a particular speed around which it wobbles a lot. Other than that it, it's pretty good. Next time its safe to test when I'm out, I'll have a look.
 
My 14 does the same and has since new . I was concerned too but learned just to keep hands on bars and you’ll never know it’s doing it . My Yamaha roadliner and royal enfield have never done it but my Yamaha vstar did beck when I had it . I remember demoing a new triumph scrambler back in the day and it did it . I think it comes down to some bikes just do it , obviously assuming everything is tightened to specs and aligned . I just got used to it and don’t even think about it anymore


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
My only complaint about the bike since I bought it end of Feb this year is the front end seems squirrelly at high speeds on the freeway. I have to believe that's partially due to the seam in the middle of the stock tire. I had another tire like it once and and that one made me vow never to buy a center seamed front tire again as it seems to screw up front end handling. However after reading a few complaints about front end wobble on here it just may be a characteristic about the bike. I'll know for sure in a few more thousand miles after the tire wears out and I switch.
 
Thread starter
Cheers guys, its good to know that its not just my bike and may be a characteristic of the CB itself..
 
Thread starter
So m in sc your CB doesnt wobble with hands off? Anyone else has the wobble or not with hands off?
 
Back
Top