Inhouse Bob
Road warrior
I'm rebuilding my front brakes while I have the wheels off for new rubber. I'll let you know how it goes and if my assorted noises clear up. Meanwhile, it's a fun, low-skill job 

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

This bike looks fantastic to me. Makes me wish that I had ridden active dirts CB1000R at the rally.The ferret_imp said:This bike looks fantastic to me. Makes me wish that I had ridden active dirts CB1000R at the rally.tod.branko_imp said:It won't be a 60's 70's retro but the retro theme is changing, and we are slowly getting to the 80's, that's where the CB900f comes to play. Interestingly enough the 1100 project F was available in Japan, but Honda needs a liquid cooled performance machine to compete with the likes of kawasaki z900rs![]()
Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Tried this many times on mine, this never helped at all. Thanks for sharing your observation!Charlie Bravo_imp said:My '13 front brake squeals a bit with light pressure. Do a couple of moderately hard stops on the front brake and the noise will go away.
Tried this many times on mine, this never helped at all. Thanks for sharing your observation!j3gq_imp said:Tried this many times on mine, this never helped at all. Thanks for sharing your observation!Charlie Bravo_imp said:My '13 front brake squeals a bit with light pressure. Do a couple of moderately hard stops on the front brake and the noise will go away.
I had this the other week. My front pads were only a couple of months old. I got them to switch the pads around, which fixed it for another week. So I replaced the pads, giving up on my Sherlock Holmes impression. What I hadn't realised until then was a huge price range in pads! I got some pricy ones and I'm sure they feel better and stop better (placebo?). The first ones I didn't specify the brand, so I'm confident they stuck the cheapest ones on there.VLJ_imp said:I took my '17 EX in today for a warranty-repair service for the front brakes, which squeal every time I come to a slow, gradual stop. Unfortunately, it was pouring down rain this morning, so the dealership said there was nothing they could do today since they can't ride it in the rain. Also, with the pads and rotors and everything being so wet, they wouldn't be able to see anything anyway.
He offered to clean the pads and rotors, no charge.
The first rather ominous sign that this might turn into a long, drawn-out saga is when he presented a repair order showing a $109 charge, which he explained wouldn't come into play today, but could come into play whenever they can get a dry day and a proper look into the problem. He said, "Honda doesn't warranty noises, which they consider to be a symptom of normal wear and tear. There has to be a manufacturer's defect in the parts or construction before Honda will cover something under warranty."
Uhhh, no. "Noises" that shouldn't be there are generally good indicators that something is amiss, and a case of squealing brakes a week or two into a bike's life (which is when my brakes started squealing) is definitely not an example of "normal wear and tear."
He also wondered whether the original dealership failed to clean off the Cosmoline from the rotors during the Pre-Delivery Inspection process. He had no reason to suspect this, he admitted. He was simply offering up possible causes.
Checking the weather, it shows the possibility of rain every day for the next couple of weeks, so we won't be able to address this issue again for a decent while. During the ride home the front brakes were still squealing. Cleaning the pads and rotors didn't fix the problem.
I had this the other week. My front pads were only a couple of months old. I got them to switch the pads around, which fixed it for another week. So I replaced the pads, giving up on my Sherlock Holmes impression. What I hadn't realised until then was a huge price range in pads! I got some pricy ones and I'm sure they feel better and stop better (placebo?). The first ones I didn't specify the brand, so I'm confident they stuck the cheapest ones on there.simplest2remember_imp said:I had this the other week. My front pads were only a couple of months old. I got them to switch the pads around, which fixed it for another week. So I replaced the pads, giving up on my Sherlock Holmes impression. What I hadn't realised until then was a huge price range in pads! I got some pricy ones and I'm sure they feel better and stop better (placebo?). The first ones I didn't specify the brand, so I'm confident they stuck the cheapest ones on there.VLJ_imp said:I took my '17 EX in today for a warranty-repair service for the front brakes, which squeal every time I come to a slow, gradual stop. Unfortunately, it was pouring down rain this morning, so the dealership said there was nothing they could do today since they can't ride it in the rain. Also, with the pads and rotors and everything being so wet, they wouldn't be able to see anything anyway.
He offered to clean the pads and rotors, no charge.
The first rather ominous sign that this might turn into a long, drawn-out saga is when he presented a repair order showing a $109 charge, which he explained wouldn't come into play today, but could come into play whenever they can get a dry day and a proper look into the problem. He said, "Honda doesn't warranty noises, which they consider to be a symptom of normal wear and tear. There has to be a manufacturer's defect in the parts or construction before Honda will cover something under warranty."
Uhhh, no. "Noises" that shouldn't be there are generally good indicators that something is amiss, and a case of squealing brakes a week or two into a bike's life (which is when my brakes started squealing) is definitely not an example of "normal wear and tear."
He also wondered whether the original dealership failed to clean off the Cosmoline from the rotors during the Pre-Delivery Inspection process. He had no reason to suspect this, he admitted. He was simply offering up possible causes.
Checking the weather, it shows the possibility of rain every day for the next couple of weeks, so we won't be able to address this issue again for a decent while. During the ride home the front brakes were still squealing. Cleaning the pads and rotors didn't fix the problem.