Front brakes squeal...this feels like a saga in the making

jtopiso_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
To add to pdedse and j3gq's request, could we also please hear from 2017 RS owners and 2019 and later EX and RS owners as to whether their front brakes squeal. The bike had a makeover in 2019 or 2020 and it would be interesting to know whether Honda addressed the issue.

And ... on the other topic, I went to the hardware shop yesterday and by some amazing coincidence ...
31f7e19690798fe671bae56b210a308e.jpg


Finally, Ferret, who is this active diet of whom you speak?
The brakes on my 17'RS don't squeal. One bike is not a big sample though!

Anyway: squealing brakes is a more and more common problem in automotive industry, due to the new restrictions on pads material due to contaminants on brake dust (that will become airborne sooner than later).

Now there is a tendency to use high carbon steel on the rotors, I guess to help minimizing this problem.

(https://www.bremboparts.com/africa/en/products/innovation/high-carbon)
Really? I’m not able to argue from science, but experientially I’ve no evidence at all of that. I’m not surrounded by new vehicles with squealing brakes.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
jtopiso_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
To add to pdedse and j3gq's request, could we also please hear from 2017 RS owners and 2019 and later EX and RS owners as to whether their front brakes squeal. The bike had a makeover in 2019 or 2020 and it would be interesting to know whether Honda addressed the issue.

And ... on the other topic, I went to the hardware shop yesterday and by some amazing coincidence ...
31f7e19690798fe671bae56b210a308e.jpg


Finally, Ferret, who is this active diet of whom you speak?
The brakes on my 17'RS don't squeal. One bike is not a big sample though!

Anyway: squealing brakes is a more and more common problem in automotive industry, due to the new restrictions on pads material due to contaminants on brake dust (that will become airborne sooner than later).

Now there is a tendency to use high carbon steel on the rotors, I guess to help minimizing this problem.

(https://www.bremboparts.com/africa/en/products/innovation/high-carbon)
Really? I’m not able to argue from science, but experientially I’ve no evidence at all of that. I’m not surrounded by new vehicles with squealing brakes.
It's a problem they have to deal with during development.(*)

Why honda hasn't been able to make them silent... I don't know. I don't have this problem, and I don't know if it because it's a '17 model so it's been corrected, if it's because RS brakes are different, or it's just that the weather here doesn't trigger the noise.


(*) belive it or not: this kind of issues that can cause complaints by the customer are somehow more important on cheap models than on "niche" models. If 1 out of 10 vehicles you sell have the squeel, and 1 out of 2 customers complain, if you sell 10.000 units, you have 500 complaints, which you have to investigate, solve, maybe make a recall... and peiple making bad press about the product.
If you have sold 50 units, you will have 5 complaints tops (assuming the "niche" client is more demanding), and the problem will be between the client and the dealer.
The first case is a quality problem. The second case is an anecdote.
 
jtopiso_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
To add to pdedse and j3gq's request, could we also please hear from 2017 RS owners and 2019 and later EX and RS owners as to whether their front brakes squeal. The bike had a makeover in 2019 or 2020 and it would be interesting to know whether Honda addressed the issue.

And ... on the other topic, I went to the hardware shop yesterday and by some amazing coincidence ...
31f7e19690798fe671bae56b210a308e.jpg


Finally, Ferret, who is this active diet of whom you speak?
The brakes on my 17'RS don't squeal. One bike is not a big sample though!

Anyway: squealing brakes is a more and more common problem in automotive industry, due to the new restrictions on pads material due to contaminants on brake dust (that will become airborne sooner than later).

Now there is a tendency to use high carbon steel on the rotors, I guess to help minimizing this problem.

(https://www.bremboparts.com/africa/en/products/innovation/high-carbon)
So Honda was attempting to stay ahead of the game! :shy:


jtopiso_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
To add to pdedse and j3gq's request, could we also please hear from 2017 RS owners and 2019 and later EX and RS owners as to whether their front brakes squeal. The bike had a makeover in 2019 or 2020 and it would be interesting to know whether Honda addressed the issue.

And ... on the other topic, I went to the hardware shop yesterday and by some amazing coincidence ...
31f7e19690798fe671bae56b210a308e.jpg


Finally, Ferret, who is this active diet of whom you speak?
The brakes on my 17'RS don't squeal. One bike is not a big sample though!

Anyway: squealing brakes is a more and more common problem in automotive industry, due to the new restrictions on pads material due to contaminants on brake dust (that will become airborne sooner than later).

Now there is a tendency to use high carbon steel on the rotors, I guess to help minimizing this problem.

(https://www.bremboparts.com/africa/en/products/innovation/high-carbon)
This can only mean you must have gotten one of the deffective ones :biker:

Seriously, though, I'm happy to hear that. I'd love for that Honda tech that examined VLJ's '17ex and concluded "all w/in specs" to look at your bike and do the same measurements. Seems to me that's about the only way that one could understand what's going on.
jtopiso_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
jtopiso_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
To add to pdedse and j3gq's request, could we also please hear from 2017 RS owners and 2019 and later EX and RS owners as to whether their front brakes squeal. The bike had a makeover in 2019 or 2020 and it would be interesting to know whether Honda addressed the issue.

And ... on the other topic, I went to the hardware shop yesterday and by some amazing coincidence ...
31f7e19690798fe671bae56b210a308e.jpg


Finally, Ferret, who is this active diet of whom you speak?
The brakes on my 17'RS don't squeal. One bike is not a big sample though!

Anyway: squealing brakes is a more and more common problem in automotive industry, due to the new restrictions on pads material due to contaminants on brake dust (that will become airborne sooner than later).

Now there is a tendency to use high carbon steel on the rotors, I guess to help minimizing this problem.

(https://www.bremboparts.com/africa/en/products/innovation/high-carbon)
Really? I’m not able to argue from science, but experientially I’ve no evidence at all of that. I’m not surrounded by new vehicles with squealing brakes.
It's a problem they have to deal with during development.(*)

Why honda hasn't been able to make them silent... I don't know. I don't have this problem, and I don't know if it because it's a '17 model so it's been corrected, if it's because RS brakes are different, or it's just that the weather here doesn't trigger the noise.


(*) belive it or not: this kind of issues that can cause complaints by the customer are somehow more important on cheap models than on "niche" models. If 1 out of 10 vehicles you sell have the squeel, and 1 out of 2 customers complain, if you sell 10.000 units, you have 500 complaints, which you have to investigate, solve, maybe make a recall... and peiple making bad press about the product.
If you have sold 50 units, you will have 5 complaints tops (assuming the "niche" client is more demanding), and the problem will be between the client and the dealer.
The first case is a quality problem. The second case is an anecdote.
Last night I was comparing front-end photos between year '14 CB1100s and those of '17ex models to see if there was anything physically different that one could see. The obvious thing is that '17ex models have spoked wheels and the '14s (and jtopiso's "17 RS) do not. I began to wonder--bear w/ me, I'm no engineer--if the structure of the wheel could make a difference; for example does the wheel design--interacting with the attached rotor--make the rotor "behave" in such a way that w/ spokes "squeal happens" and that w/out spokes "squeal does't happen"?
Since I brought it up...

'14 DLX model:
d5d4af85cbf62a000ddd9825a32694a2.jpg


'17EX:
1cd534017f43357e1486d33df3419346.jpg


RS model (not sure on year):
73537529db31441db63bf7d11fb80106.jpg


Rotor is different for '17ex and RS.
 
Astute observation pdedse, and a very good question
 
Probably not enough riders have " squealed" to Honda for them to be concerned. My 2017 squeals at the end of a stop but I just lived to ignore it.
 
Is there a difference between a "squeal" and a "squeak". I assume not and if not, my rear brake squeals, but my front brake never has.
 
Looking at Pdedse's pictures i wondered;

Do both front brakes squeal?
What happens if just one set of the pads is treated?
Can we isolate ( disconnect ) one side or place some paper or shim under the pad ( s ) and see the result?
Not likely but do brake calipers " talk" to each other via the hydraulic lines?
Does having abs brakes make a difference?

do we need a poll or spreadsheet to point in a direction?
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Is there a difference between a "squeal" and a "squeak". I assume not and if not, my rear brake squeals, but my front brake never has.
I've always envisioned a transit bus brakes "squealing". A "squeak" to me is like a door hinge, small and focused - resolvable with a drop of lubricant.

My 2014 CB1100 would sometimes squeal. Seldom, but it did, and both front (don't know which or both disks) and rear brake. It seemed to happen when the disks had a very fine film of condensation on them. Soon, however, the squeal was gone and I suppose as the disks warmed up. In fact, the "squeal" was more like a mid-to-high frequency "shudder".
 
An old hat by now, but as I think I found a (temporary) solution to the problem, I thought I lay it out for you, so you can test it yourself. It works for me, may be it works for you.
I had kept asking mechanics and other Honda people about my squealing brakes. Got all the answers we have been discussing here above, or no answers at all. Brakes kept squealing and driving me nuts (on some days). Finally, a few days ago, I stop at my Honda dealer for some unrelated issue, while it's may be 5 minutes before their closure for the day. Outside works the last guy who's got to bring all all cycles back into the shop, or behind the fence for the night. When he sees me he stops doing what he does and he walks over to me bike asking with a big smile "nice bike, anything I can do for you ?". Had never seen him before, so I smile, and explain the problem with my brakes, and how little I like to scare grand-mothers at the traffic lights when I come to a stop. I go on telling him that the problem was gone for a few days after the winter pause (when I don't ride), and he asks "how do you clean your brake assembly. And I say, I don't. He smiles, and I tell him that my dealer/mechanic has proposed to disassemble everything, how to work the pads, and G knows what.
And he says, here is what I propose to do. Take the pressure cleaner, keep the nozzle at a healthy distance (like 20 inches or so) and clean your front brake assembly with clean water from all possible angles. Watch what comes out, then go riding and test your brakes carefully. I say, and that's it ? and he says that's it.
No, it's not gone, and yes, it will probably come back. But the last 3 days all I hear is a tiny little squeak at the very last moment before she comes to a stop - like on the last 10 inches roling. For me this is a solid 90% improvement over past concerts. Will tell you'll if it lasts in a few weeks.
 
I have been able to remedy squeaky brakes by using a very fine grit sandpaper on the rotors, just enough to take off any glaze (which I doubt you have so early) and scuffing the contact side of the pads. Additionally a little bit of moly grease on the piston where it will contact the backside of the pads. When I say a little, I mean just the slightest film on the top of the piston. You don't want any of that getting onto the surface of the pads or the rotors! Then to seat the pads after the scuffing, stop with very light brake pressure for the next 50 or so miles. Barring that, moving to a non-sintered pad as a last resort has always done the trick. YMMV of course.
The ferret_imp said:
I wouldn't put it past Honda to throw another one our way.
I want to believe that is true at the core of my being. However my gut thinks it is unlikely. Either way, I hope you are right!
 
j3gq_imp said:
An old hat by now, but as I think I found a (temporary) solution to the problem, I thought I lay it out for you, so you can test it yourself. It works for me, may be it works for you.
I had kept asking mechanics and other Honda people about my squealing brakes. Got all the answers we have been discussing here above, or no answers at all. Brakes kept squealing and driving me nuts (on some days). Finally, a few days ago, I stop at my Honda dealer for some unrelated issue, while it's may be 5 minutes before their closure for the day. Outside works the last guy who's got to bring all all cycles back into the shop, or behind the fence for the night. When he sees me he stops doing what he does and he walks over to me bike asking with a big smile "nice bike, anything I can do for you ?". Had never seen him before, so I smile, and explain the problem with my brakes, and how little I like to scare grand-mothers at the traffic lights when I come to a stop. I go on telling him that the problem was gone for a few days after the winter pause (when I don't ride), and he asks "how do you clean your brake assembly. And I say, I don't. He smiles, and I tell him that my dealer/mechanic has proposed to disassemble everything, how to work the pads, and G knows what.
And he says, here is what I propose to do. Take the pressure cleaner, keep the nozzle at a healthy distance (like 20 inches or so) and clean your front brake assembly with clean water from all possible angles. Watch what comes out, then go riding and test your brakes carefully. I say, and that's it ? and he says that's it.
No, it's not gone, and yes, it will probably come back. But the last 3 days all I hear is a tiny little squeak at the very last moment before she comes to a stop - like on the last 10 inches roling. For me this is a solid 90% improvement over past concerts. Will tell you'll if it lasts in a few weeks.
On my '17EX the squealing pig screech started at around 700 miles and I've had it every since, now at 12,500 miles. But because of experiences noted in this thread, I decided to not worry about it much, and I use the front brake to do initial stopping, then when I get under 10-15mph, I begin with the rear brake to avoid the squeal.

j3gq_imp said:
An old hat by now, but as I think I found a (temporary) solution to the problem, I thought I lay it out for you, so you can test it yourself. It works for me, may be it works for you.
I had kept asking mechanics and other Honda people about my squealing brakes. Got all the answers we have been discussing here above, or no answers at all. Brakes kept squealing and driving me nuts (on some days). Finally, a few days ago, I stop at my Honda dealer for some unrelated issue, while it's may be 5 minutes before their closure for the day. Outside works the last guy who's got to bring all all cycles back into the shop, or behind the fence for the night. When he sees me he stops doing what he does and he walks over to me bike asking with a big smile "nice bike, anything I can do for you ?". Had never seen him before, so I smile, and explain the problem with my brakes, and how little I like to scare grand-mothers at the traffic lights when I come to a stop. I go on telling him that the problem was gone for a few days after the winter pause (when I don't ride), and he asks "how do you clean your brake assembly. And I say, I don't. He smiles, and I tell him that my dealer/mechanic has proposed to disassemble everything, how to work the pads, and G knows what.
And he says, here is what I propose to do. Take the pressure cleaner, keep the nozzle at a healthy distance (like 20 inches or so) and clean your front brake assembly with clean water from all possible angles. Watch what comes out, then go riding and test your brakes carefully. I say, and that's it ? and he says that's it.
No, it's not gone, and yes, it will probably come back. But the last 3 days all I hear is a tiny little squeak at the very last moment before she comes to a stop - like on the last 10 inches roling. For me this is a solid 90% improvement over past concerts. Will tell you'll if it lasts in a few weeks.
The above, however, I feel that I do have the skills to try this, so I'll see if it works.
 
j3gq_imp said:
An old hat by now, but as I think I found a (temporary) solution to the problem, I thought I lay it out for you, so you can test it yourself. It works for me, may be it works for you.
I had kept asking mechanics and other Honda people about my squealing brakes. Got all the answers we have been discussing here above, or no answers at all. Brakes kept squealing and driving me nuts (on some days). Finally, a few days ago, I stop at my Honda dealer for some unrelated issue, while it's may be 5 minutes before their closure for the day. Outside works the last guy who's got to bring all all cycles back into the shop, or behind the fence for the night. When he sees me he stops doing what he does and he walks over to me bike asking with a big smile "nice bike, anything I can do for you ?". Had never seen him before, so I smile, and explain the problem with my brakes, and how little I like to scare grand-mothers at the traffic lights when I come to a stop. I go on telling him that the problem was gone for a few days after the winter pause (when I don't ride), and he asks "how do you clean your brake assembly. And I say, I don't. He smiles, and I tell him that my dealer/mechanic has proposed to disassemble everything, how to work the pads, and G knows what.
And he says, here is what I propose to do. Take the pressure cleaner, keep the nozzle at a healthy distance (like 20 inches or so) and clean your front brake assembly with clean water from all possible angles. Watch what comes out, then go riding and test your brakes carefully. I say, and that's it ? and he says that's it.
No, it's not gone, and yes, it will probably come back. But the last 3 days all I hear is a tiny little squeak at the very last moment before she comes to a stop - like on the last 10 inches roling. For me this is a solid 90% improvement over past concerts. Will tell you'll if it lasts in a few weeks.
Ok, I gave it a whirl. After spraying and drying both front calipers, I went for a ride. Initially, no grabbing-pig-by-tail-screech, but sometimes that happens anyway just when starting out. But after 15 minutes I really did notice a big improvement--barely audible squeak right before coming to a stop and particularly if brake was lightly applied. Brake harder and squeak was gone. But after several stops to do this and that, the sqeak came back--but at no point was it as bad as it was prior to water spray cleaning. For me, about a 60% improvement.
 
pdedse_imp said:
j3gq_imp said:
An old hat by now, but as I think I found a (temporary) solution to the problem, I thought I lay it out for you, so you can test it yourself. It works for me, may be it works for you.
I had kept asking mechanics and other Honda people about my squealing brakes. Got all the answers we have been discussing here above, or no answers at all. Brakes kept squealing and driving me nuts (on some days). Finally, a few days ago, I stop at my Honda dealer for some unrelated issue, while it's may be 5 minutes before their closure for the day. Outside works the last guy who's got to bring all all cycles back into the shop, or behind the fence for the night. When he sees me he stops doing what he does and he walks over to me bike asking with a big smile "nice bike, anything I can do for you ?". Had never seen him before, so I smile, and explain the problem with my brakes, and how little I like to scare grand-mothers at the traffic lights when I come to a stop. I go on telling him that the problem was gone for a few days after the winter pause (when I don't ride), and he asks "how do you clean your brake assembly. And I say, I don't. He smiles, and I tell him that my dealer/mechanic has proposed to disassemble everything, how to work the pads, and G knows what.
And he says, here is what I propose to do. Take the pressure cleaner, keep the nozzle at a healthy distance (like 20 inches or so) and clean your front brake assembly with clean water from all possible angles. Watch what comes out, then go riding and test your brakes carefully. I say, and that's it ? and he says that's it.
No, it's not gone, and yes, it will probably come back. But the last 3 days all I hear is a tiny little squeak at the very last moment before she comes to a stop - like on the last 10 inches roling. For me this is a solid 90% improvement over past concerts. Will tell you'll if it lasts in a few weeks.
Ok, I gave it a whirl. After spraying and drying both front calipers, I went for a ride. Initially, no grabbing-pig-by-tail-screech, but sometimes that happens anyway just when starting out. But after 15 minutes I really did notice a big improvement--barely audible squeak right before coming to a stop and particularly if brake was lightly applied. Brake harder and squeak was gone. But after several stops to do this and that, the sqeak came back--but at no point was it as bad as it was prior to water spray cleaning. For me, about a 60% improvement.
Ok, I gave it a whirl. After spraying and drying both front calipers, I went for a ride. Initially, no grabbing-pig-by-tail-screech, but sometimes that happens anyway just when starting out. But after 15 minutes I really did notice a big improvement--barely audible squeak right before coming to a stop and particularly if brake was lightly applied. Brake harder and squeak was gone. But after several stops to do this and that, the sqeak came back--but at no point was it as bad as it was prior to water spray cleaning. For me, about a 60% improvement. Forgive me for asking, but have you greased up the pins and the backs of the brake pads?

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
My 2017MY EX has screeched from my ownership which spans 9K to 11K km. That is with the OEM pads and the new Brembo pads. I shall be trying a little high temp brake paste on the back of the pads to see if it makes any difference. I am not a fan of too much brake paste anywhere on the pads and the noise doesn't overly concern me, it does just seem to be a low-speed thing. A bit of resonance kicking in somewhere perhaps that might be hard to engineer out?
 
tod.branko_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
j3gq_imp said:
An old hat by now, but as I think I found a (temporary) solution to the problem, I thought I lay it out for you, so you can test it yourself. It works for me, may be it works for you.
I had kept asking mechanics and other Honda people about my squealing brakes. Got all the answers we have been discussing here above, or no answers at all. Brakes kept squealing and driving me nuts (on some days). Finally, a few days ago, I stop at my Honda dealer for some unrelated issue, while it's may be 5 minutes before their closure for the day. Outside works the last guy who's got to bring all all cycles back into the shop, or behind the fence for the night. When he sees me he stops doing what he does and he walks over to me bike asking with a big smile "nice bike, anything I can do for you ?". Had never seen him before, so I smile, and explain the problem with my brakes, and how little I like to scare grand-mothers at the traffic lights when I come to a stop. I go on telling him that the problem was gone for a few days after the winter pause (when I don't ride), and he asks "how do you clean your brake assembly. And I say, I don't. He smiles, and I tell him that my dealer/mechanic has proposed to disassemble everything, how to work the pads, and G knows what.
And he says, here is what I propose to do. Take the pressure cleaner, keep the nozzle at a healthy distance (like 20 inches or so) and clean your front brake assembly with clean water from all possible angles. Watch what comes out, then go riding and test your brakes carefully. I say, and that's it ? and he says that's it.
No, it's not gone, and yes, it will probably come back. But the last 3 days all I hear is a tiny little squeak at the very last moment before she comes to a stop - like on the last 10 inches roling. For me this is a solid 90% improvement over past concerts. Will tell you'll if it lasts in a few weeks.
Ok, I gave it a whirl. After spraying and drying both front calipers, I went for a ride. Initially, no grabbing-pig-by-tail-screech, but sometimes that happens anyway just when starting out. But after 15 minutes I really did notice a big improvement--barely audible squeak right before coming to a stop and particularly if brake was lightly applied. Brake harder and squeak was gone. But after several stops to do this and that, the sqeak came back--but at no point was it as bad as it was prior to water spray cleaning. For me, about a 60% improvement.
Ok, I gave it a whirl. After spraying and drying both front calipers, I went for a ride. Initially, no grabbing-pig-by-tail-screech, but sometimes that happens anyway just when starting out. But after 15 minutes I really did notice a big improvement--barely audible squeak right before coming to a stop and particularly if brake was lightly applied. Brake harder and squeak was gone. But after several stops to do this and that, the sqeak came back--but at no point was it as bad as it was prior to water spray cleaning. For me, about a 60% improvement. Forgive me for asking, but have you greased up the pins and the backs of the brake pads?

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
No, I haven't tried this yet. VLJ started this thread and had tried a number of things, I think including grease on backs of brake pads, but to no avail. So I was going to just live with it...but a water flush was too simple not to try.

And this is my suspicion as well:

Tev62_imp said:
My 2017MY EX has screeched from my ownership which spans 9K to 11K km. That is with the OEM pads and the new Brembo pads. I shall be trying a little high temp brake paste on the back of the pads to see if it makes any difference. I am not a fan of too much brake paste anywhere on the pads and the noise doesn't overly concern me, it does just seem to be a low-speed thing. A bit of resonance kicking in somewhere perhaps that might be hard to engineer out?
If I had to sell the bike, it might be hard to convince a new buyer that such a squeal is "normal" and not caused by anything harmful as Honda dealerships have told a couple of forum members.

But I'm not selling so I don't mind it too much. But when the time comes for new pads, maybe I'll try the grease thing too to see if it helps at all.
 
My CB1100 rear brake squeal was rare and appeared to be on damp mornings only for about a half dozen stops.

It was so infrequent that I forgot 'bout it.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
My CB1100 rear brake squeal was rare and appeared to be on damp mornings only for about a half dozen stops.

It was so infrequent that I forgot 'bout it.
Rear brake squeal?...I don't have any of that, nor did I have any F/R squeal on my '14 Standard. I think this is a '17ex issue for front brakes only. The thing in common appears to be that the front brake squeak happens when coming to a stop, and lightly applying the brakes. If I brake firmly, much less squeak or none, but if I brake hard the squeak goes down an octave, from a high to very low pitch.

So if I'm around a car with windows rolled down, or there are pedestrians nearby, I begin braking with front, then let off when squeak gets loud and switch to rear only brake. It's quite the art.
 
Just some info to add to this brake saga.
My new RS has radial fronts and from new there has been not a squeal but a low vibration sound and feeling through the bars when braking and almost at a standstill, a bit like slowly pushing a finger along a highly polished smooth surface. This only happens with the last half wheel revolution before being at a standstill.
I hope this is just the bedding in period for the new brakes and will go soon.

 
Back
Top