Front brakes squeal...this feels like a saga in the making

Thread starter
The CB1100 can't be liquid-cooled. The entire point of the project was to create an all new, true air-cooled I4 as an homage to the original CB I4s. If they come out with a liquid-cooled version now, it will acquire a new name and overall spec. It won't be a faithful, details-oriented '60s-'70s retro.
 
Then, at least we'll have something different and new... New name and similar look is OK with me. Better this than nothing, I guess. No??
 
Would a liquid-cooled CB1100 have fake engine block "cooling fins"?

Heck, would the fakeness be plastic fins?

If yeah, then no thanks. Whatever is available now in warehouses and peoples' garages, make them collectible and move on. Keep "authentic" in "original".
 
It won't be a 60's 70's retro but the retro theme is changing, and we are slowly getting to the 80's, that's where the CB900f comes to play. Interestingly enough the 1100 project F was available in Japan, but Honda needs a liquid cooled performance machine to compete with the likes of kawasaki z900rs
c442a255c3bbb0819aa880e2e178723f.jpg


Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
 
In the early nineties they had a great water-cooled bike : the CB 1000 , that was/is a GREAT bike , very well made . I had a 1994 and 1995 but sold them when the CB 1100's came out . CB 1000 had better road holding because of better front forks and swingarm.
 
Thread starter
Honda may introduce another liquid-cooled, liter-class naked I4 Standard to the U.S. market, similar to Houtman's old CB1000 "The Big One," or the new CB1000F shown above. I'm certain they will, at some point, even despite the recent sales failures in the U.S. of the CB1100 and the "neo retro" CB1000. What they won't do is give us back our beloved air-cooled CB1100, never mind issuing a factory recall for the brake squeal afflicting the 2017 EX.
 
" ... eh sonny, back in the day, ... I think it was in '17, ... they still had air-cooled engines. Boy, they were sweet, I'll tell you. Oh sweet memories to be had. Carving up canyons, sweet tunes from the engine, ... ah memories. Now, they are gone the way like the steam engine."


"Poppa? What is air-cooled? What is steam engine?"
 
What I'd like to know is if there are any '17ex owners for whom their front brakes don't squeal when applied and slowing to a stop. If there are, it would be interesting to have a knowledgeable person look at the two bikes side-by-side to determine what the difference is.

In the end, I've just come to live with a bit a squeal. Perfection...much sought after, infrequently attained. As with so many things in life, for me it's can I focus on the positives rather than the annoyance? Meh...sometimes I can.
 
Thread starter
To me, it's not unreasonable to desire and expect perfection in some things, and a lack of brake squeal is certainly among them, especially on a "premium" Honda product. I've owned between twenty and thirty bikes, and ridden five times that many, and my '17 EX was the first one afflicted with brake squeal.

It isn't normal, or acceptable. Honda telling us that this is just what floating brakes do, well, go ahead and explain then why none of my other bikes with floating brakes ever squealed. For that matter, don't the 2013 and '14 CB1100 ABS models also have the same basic floating brakes as the '17 EX? I've heard some stories here about the rear brakes squealing, but hardly anyone mentions any front-brake squeals.
 
VLJ_imp said:
To me, it's not unreasonable to desire and expect perfection in some things, and a lack of brake squeal is certainly among them, especially on a "premium" Honda product. I've owned between twenty and thirty bikes, and ridden five times that many, and my '17 EX was the first one afflicted with brake squeal.

It isn't normal, or acceptable. Honda telling us that this is just what floating brakes do, well, go ahead and explain then why none of my other bikes with floating brakes ever squealed. For that matter, don't the 2013 and '14 CB1100 ABS models also have the same basic floating brakes as the '17 EX? I've heard some stories here about the rear brakes squealing, but hardly anyone mentions any front-brake squeals.
Yes, now that you've mentioned it, my 2014 STD rear brakes do squeel when half pressed or just before a complete stop - honestly never gave it a second thought. Just write it off as retro sound as an addition to the retro look

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
 
tod.branko_imp said:
It won't be a 60's 70's retro but the retro theme is changing, and we are slowly getting to the 80's, that's where the CB900f comes to play. Interestingly enough the 1100 project F was available in Japan, but Honda needs a liquid cooled performance machine to compete with the likes of kawasaki z900rs
c442a255c3bbb0819aa880e2e178723f.jpg


Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
This bike looks fantastic to me. Makes me wish that I had ridden active dirts CB1000R at the rally.
 
pdedse_imp said:
What I'd like to know is if there are any '17ex owners for whom their front brakes don't squeal when applied and slowing to a stop. If there are, it would be interesting to have a knowledgeable person look at the two bikes side-by-side to determine what the difference is.

In the end, I've just come to live with a bit a squeal. Perfection...much sought after, infrequently attained. As with so many things in life, for me it's can I focus on the positives rather than the annoyance? Meh...sometimes I can.
pdedse, your first thought is valid, let's see if we can find such a 17ex owner here on the forum.
Concerning perfection, I think you're missing one point. Yes, it bothers me as much as VLJ when a top end bike makes such a lousy additional "sound". On bad days it even hurts my hearing. But equally important is (at least in Europe), we are coming under serious scrutiny everywhere for the bike's noise emissions. Another unnecessary and loud noise at every red light does really not help.
 
may i add to this conversation? my '19 EX also has squeaking front brakes (awkwardly, only when braking at very low speeds), and I only have less than 2000kms on the odometer; this also happen to be a common problem with a lot of post-'17 EXs also on another Facebook CB1100 owners group I'm part of.

in my humble opinion, this could be due to a harder-than-needed brake pads compound, so the only way to solve this might be changing them with another brand.. Honda might have chosen such a hard compound because of the weight of the machine: with a softer compound, they'd wear out way too fast for a bike meant to be virtually maintenance less
 
To add to pdedse and j3gq's request, could we also please hear from 2017 RS owners and 2019 and later EX and RS owners as to whether their front brakes squeal. The bike had a makeover in 2019 or 2020 and it would be interesting to know whether Honda addressed the issue.

And ... on the other topic, I went to the hardware shop yesterday and by some amazing coincidence ...
31f7e19690798fe671bae56b210a308e.jpg


Finally, Ferret, who is this active diet of whom you speak?
 
That's what I get, when click in the image:

Your connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from i.postimg.cc (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more
NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

:dodgy:
 
peterbaron, I think that's the result of Google Chrome's latest security controls. The picture was meant to embedded in the post (I see it now is). When I followed through the reading with Google, it said that postimage is usually secure and that the problem should resolve. Seems it now has. I can see the picture I posted here.
 
j3gq_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
What I'd like to know is if there are any '17ex owners for whom their front brakes don't squeal when applied and slowing to a stop. If there are, it would be interesting to have a knowledgeable person look at the two bikes side-by-side to determine what the difference is.

In the end, I've just come to live with a bit a squeal. Perfection...much sought after, infrequently attained. As with so many things in life, for me it's can I focus on the positives rather than the annoyance? Meh...sometimes I can.
pdedse, your first thought is valid, let's see if we can find such a 17ex owner here on the forum.
Concerning perfection, I think you're missing one point. Yes, it bothers me as much as VLJ when a top end bike makes such a lousy additional "sound". On bad days it even hurts my hearing. But equally important is (at least in Europe), we are coming under serious scrutiny everywhere for the bike's noise emissions. Another unnecessary and loud noise at every red light does really not help.
Yeah, I know...it should bother me more to make me want to do something about it.

But I went through something similar with dealerships / Honda customer service reps with high/low idle issue on my '14 standard about 3 years ago. Spent hours taking my bike to the other side of town to dealership, here on this forum looking for a solution, writing letters to Honda, talking with them on the phone...and nada.

So after hearing what VLJ went through to try to have his brake squeal issue taken care of, and then to be told "brakes squeal"...well, I'm not optimistic about a positive outcome.

In time, I think I will talk to some others that I trust (independent mechanic) to see if a solution can be found, but currently life has louder squeals than this for me ... : )
 
Thread starter
franov, nope, the problem isn't that the brake pads are too hard. Upon American Honda's suggestion, I tried replacing the stock pads with a softer, racier compound. As part of the pads swap I also tried another brake-squeal-prevention product (I'd already tried basic carbon grease), on top of filing the edges of the pads.

No change. The squealing persisted. American Honda then sent out a tech, who inspected and measured the rotors, calipers, and pads.

"Everything is within spec. Nothing is wrong," he concluded. "Your bike has floating rotors. Floating rotors are inherently noisy. Don't worry about it. Everything is fine."
 
Cormanus_imp said:
To add to pdedse and j3gq's request, could we also please hear from 2017 RS owners and 2019 and later EX and RS owners as to whether their front brakes squeal. The bike had a makeover in 2019 or 2020 and it would be interesting to know whether Honda addressed the issue.

And ... on the other topic, I went to the hardware shop yesterday and by some amazing coincidence ...
31f7e19690798fe671bae56b210a308e.jpg


Finally, Ferret, who is this active diet of whom you speak?
The brakes on my 17'RS don't squeal. One bike is not a big sample though!

Anyway: squealing brakes is a more and more common problem in automotive industry, due to the new restrictions on pads material due to contaminants on brake dust (that will become airborne sooner than later).

Now there is a tendency to use high carbon steel on the rotors, I guess to help minimizing this problem.

(https://www.bremboparts.com/africa/en/products/innovation/high-carbon)
 
Back
Top