Frequent/occasional difficulty inserting key in ignition?

jerrycon_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
not this bike but my older Honda's through the years. oiling the key always worked for me. most locksmiths i know use graphite though I am sort of a duct tape , cloths hanger , JB weld kind of fix it guy !!!
 
A drop or two (but no more) of light oil on the lock slot before inserting the key at the season-opening inspection is what I do.
 
Sometimes I have to fiddle with the key a bit to insert it, but it's not really a problem. My CB900F is the same way sometimes.
I hesitate to use any kind of lube as I don't want to transfer it to my hands or pockets - but if it becomes a problem I'll probably use something.
 
I squirt graphite into all locks on both bikes twice a year. Can't say I have any issues on the CB, but the ST seems to like my key one way only.
 
I was super frustrated the other week while in a rush and needing to go somewhere when my key wouldn't go in. Was trying my best and losing my patience when I realized it would help tremendously if I was trying to insert the right key. Hahaha. Good thing I didn't cause any damage with my futile attempts.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Try squirting the key with WD40 and then insert it and run it in and out a few times while wet. I don't like putting much of anything in there to attract dust. Yes, I have experienced that "problem" as well.

Ben
 
When washing the bike I put a strip of hockey shin pad tape over the ignition lock to keep any water or soap out. I have not had any problem with the EX.

My CB500XA did not like the key inserted from the left of the bike. I had to be on the mounting (right) side. :huh:
 
COCB1100_imp said:
I was super frustrated the other week while in a rush and needing to go somewhere when my key wouldn't go in. Was trying my best and losing my patience when I realized it would help tremendously if I was trying to insert the right key. Hahaha. Good thing I didn't cause any damage with my futile attempts.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That reminds me of a couple of weeks ago when I was trying to kick-start my old BSA and it wouldn't fire - until I turned the ignition key on :D :D :D
 
Rocky_imp said:
COCB1100_imp said:
I was super frustrated the other week while in a rush and needing to go somewhere when my key wouldn't go in. Was trying my best and losing my patience when I realized it would help tremendously if I was trying to insert the right key. Hahaha. Good thing I didn't cause any damage with my futile attempts.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That reminds me of a couple of weeks ago when I was trying to kick-start my old BSA and it wouldn't fire - until I turned the ignition key on :D :D :D
Now you have my interest!
What kind of Beezer do you have?
 
Rocky's signature says it's a '67 BSA 441 VR'. :P
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Rocky's signature says it's a '67 BSA 441 VR'. :P
Yup, it's a fully restored 1967 BSA 441cc single cylinder Victor Roadster. Had it since 2000 and put a lot of work into it.
 
Rocky_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Rocky's signature says it's a '67 BSA 441 VR'. :P
Yup, it's a fully restored 1967 BSA 441cc single cylinder Victor Roadster. Had it since 2000 and put a lot of work into it.
Yup, it's a fully restored 1967 BSA 441cc single cylinder Victor Roadster. Had it since 2000 and put a lot of work into it.

More work than trying to kick start it with the key out of the ignition?
d607e5bc03980122d961c4a4ede22988.png
at least that's a good workout. Maybe you're onto something instead of spin classes with classrooms full of stationary bicycles...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Rocky_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Rocky's signature says it's a '67 BSA 441 VR'. :P
Yup, it's a fully restored 1967 BSA 441cc single cylinder Victor Roadster. Had it since 2000 and put a lot of work into it.
Nice!

Apparently the BSA name is going to be revived in India.
Different engine in this new release though.
308835bd06a45b792a53a1a3e000a331.jpg
 
Back
Top