Freeze Out clothing at Cycle Gear review

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
54 miles at 39 degrees this morning. Wore my new Freeze Out gear I got from the new Cycle Gear store in Centerville, Ohio yesterday. I am pretty impressed with it.

For being super cheap gear it is pretty nice stuff. Got the long sleeve shirt, pants and balaclava (and my wife got gloves).

There is an extra panel of some material(?) in the stomach, chest, shoulders, thighs, knees, neck, chin and top of the head. Must say it seemed to do a good job of insulating. Wasn't cold at all and didn't have the heat turned on on my jacket liner. Will have to try it on the naked CB but IMO was well worth the $50 we spent on it.
 
I've got the boot liners and they work very well. I got the balaclava too, but I never seem to get out when it's cold enough for that.
 
Thread starter
yep, we got shirt, pants, balaclava, and gloves for $56 incl tax. Mind blowingly cheap imo

I felt nothing on my neck or chin or cheeks with the balaclava.

You look like a Ninja wearing the stuff, but I can accept that for the comfort provided.
 
Ferret,

Any special laundering requirements on the material, I didn't see anything on their site.

Can they be tended to on the road, in a motel room, etc?
 
Thread starter
Hand or machine wash on delicate, no dryer I believe. No not really motel room overnight dry-able I wouldn't think
 
The ferret_imp said:
Hand or machine wash on delicate, no dryer I believe. No not really motel room overnight dry-able I wouldn't think
No dryer, but they dry VERY quickly

Posted this last month:

Cycle Gear has a sale on Freeze-Out thermals
Already had the pants/long johns (block the wind through jeans, very well)
Got the long sleeve T for $19.97 (67% off).
Not many sizes on the rack, but can be ordered on-line.
Hoping to go across the desert to Los Angeles in a couple weeks.

Going to SoCal tomorrow. Mountain Pass (~5K feet elevation), across the border in California has a forecast of 38 F at 9 AM, with a wind chill of 28 F. Wind 15 - 22 MPH, but it should mostly be a tail wind. Should be nice once I pass Halloran Summit, about 90 miles south.

Baker should be 58 F by 11 AM
 
Thread starter
Doc could you wash them in the sink at say 6 pm, wring em, towel em, hang them on the shower rod and they would be dry by morning?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Doc could you wash them in the sink at say 6 pm, wring em, towel em, hang them on the shower rod and they would be dry by morning?
Don't know about wringing, but after spinning in the washing machine, they air dry in a couple hours, but it is low humidity here.

With shorts and T shirt under, probably no need to wash for a ~3 day ride.

I can dry a heavy weight cotton T shirt over a chair in front of hotel A/C or heater overnight
 
I read several negative reviews of this gear that noted that the fit was real funky on the long johns and the seams pulled apart on the first use. Ferret what’s your opinion of the fit/quality?
 
Thread starter
well only had it one day and worn it once, so far so good lol. I normally wear a large and the large top fit me. They were out of large bottoms and I tried a medium bottom on at the store and it was close enough. A large bottom may have been too big, but I'll never know.

if it falls apart I will certainly update this thread.
 
Love the freeze out gear Mickey....On our rides in Yellowstone Park it’s hot in the morning and then the clouds roll in and the temps drop dramatically....we slip on the tops and the neck gaiters, our BILT cold weather gloves, and cruise the next hour home in total comfort. I really like how small you can roll it up to store it!
dbarkdoll_imp said:
I read several negative reviews of this gear that noted that the fit was real funky on the long johns and the seams pulled apart on the first use. Ferret what’s your opinion of the fit/quality?
We are on our 3rd year on our freeze out gear with zero problems, unlike my underarmour gear that had seam issues after a couple of years.
 
Thread starter
38 degrees out right now, so donned it again for today's ride

BTW my son went up to Cycle Gear and bought the glove liners and balaclava, It was 28 when he left for work this morning and texted my an hour later with a thumbs up symbol on those 2 pieces.
 
I tried on the Cycle Gear Freeze Out gear a couple of years ago and I couldn't get even their largest size to fit me correctly. I liked the concept of a thin, tight fitting, base layer, but this brand didn't work for me. However, that we 2 years ago and maybe they have changed the design a bit. I have a merino wool balaclava that works great for me. I'm sure the Cycle Gear one works as good or better, so I only mention it because I recommend a balaclava for all cool/cold weather riders.
 
Thread starter
yea I have 4 balaclavas and wear them anytime it's below 50. I even have an extreme cold weather one I wear when it gets close to zero with wet suit material on the face that goes up just under the eyes. Don't have a Merino wool one though. Isn't it kind of thick?
 
Super thin, actually. It keeps my head pretty toasty in all but the coldest temps. I actually bought it to wear when I run in cold weather, but found that it works great for motorcycling as well. I'm sure that there warmer and cheaper balaclavas out there, but I had this one for running and I've put it to good (arguably better) use.
 
Thread starter
iinteresting.

Freeze out gear did another good job today. 78 miles at between 43 and 46. It was a cold mid 40's though for some reason.
 
It won’t be long and we will be talking about their Heat Out stuff.

I have one, the top, and wear it in the Summer (natch) and it seems to work pretty good.
 
Thread starter
Heat out? Interesting concept. So it keeps you cooler?
 
Back
Top