Free Test Rides

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Local dealership has the Yamaha Truck in for test rides today and tomorrow. Allowed to ride 3 a day. Today I'm going to ride an FZ-07, an FJ-09 and an R3.

Not sure about tomorrow, probably a Super Tenere, FJR and either a Bolt Spec R or a V Max. Haven't ridden the Bolt before, rode the other 3 last year.

Fun, Fun, Fun
 
Thread starter
redbirds..one of my regrets from the rally is not trying to convince Sparky to let me take a test ride on her SV. Someday, when the Mrs decides she's no longer going to tour, I'm moving down from my big touring bike to a smaller touring bike and I think the SV is in the running along with the Versys 650, and the NC 700. The FZ07 and FJ09 are in the running too pending test rides.
 
Indeed, you should have asked because she would have been delighted to allow you a test ride. I have ridden all the V-strom competitors and have come away with the opinion that, like the CB1100, it is not the absolute best in each category of performance for it's class. However, it is such a competent bike overall, it outshines the others. The engine is a jewel, smooth and reliable as a hammer and the seat is all day comfy. Only the brakes need an upgrade. Braided lines and new pads are the ticket.
 
Thread starter
Home from test rides. Rode all 3

First the FJ09
Tall drink of water
Good power in std mode (and my son said REALLY good power in A mode. I didn't switch modes just rode it on std defaults)
Transmission good
front brakes excellent
rear brake poor
handlebars wide
seat hard
suspension hard
windshield ok (I would shorten it a couple of inches)
hate tachs that are moving bar graphs
Gear indicator was nice
would pull 6th down to 3000 rpms and pull away cleanly
wound up quickly in 1st
Pretty exciting exhaust/motor noise when accelerating
Would actually make a decent solo touring bike I think..my son now wants one badly

FZ07
Small
looking over front end like on a Ducati Monster..could not see headlight at all
Better ride and seat IMO than the FJ-09
Gear indicator was nice
Same wonky mirrors
Even wonkier switches
Vibration easily felt from 3500 rpms up
Front brakes good
rear brake good
another stupid moving bar graph tach
Would never IMO make a touring bike no matter what you did to it.


R3 (keep in mind this is a 250 and not meant to be a replacement touring bike for me..just wanted to ride one)

Tiny
Really smooth
Power? what's that?
Seriously starts making power above 5000 rpms and gets meaty from 7-11K... but if you back off the throttle for anything, better start downshifting. At one point I was coming down a curvy hill in 5th onto a flat and was coasting down the steep part on the hill, when I hit the flat I gave it full throttle and literally nothing happened. Looked down and tach was at 3000 rpms, so quickly downshifted a couple of times and gave it throttle again and it accelerated.
Was like riding a 2 stroke RD 350 lol
transmission good
brakes ok
swear to you... one time I took off and ran it up in first, hit second ran it up, hit 3rd, ran it up and looked down at the speedo and I was doing 29 mph
feels like you are in a roadrace all the time, left foot dancing like a flamico dancers
Gear indicator was nice


As far as a touring replacement for my ST, on the way home riding my CB, I thought for the same money or less, why not pick up a gently used CB and add a luggage rack and some hard bags to it? IMO it's head and shoulders better motorcycle than all these bikes.

Tomorrow I'm riding the Super Tenere' and FZ09 or R6
 
Thread starter
I like them all too Geezer, but at this point I'm searching for a particular tool for my tool box ( if you get my drift)
 
I've ridden the FJ-09, FZ-09, a 2012 Super Tenere, and owned a 2005 FJR1300. I'd be interested to see if the newer FJR felt much difference. Certain the ES model would. Same for the S-Ten ES. The 2012 S-Ten was a nice bike, but felt rather agricultural. It was like a giant KLR, thought not necessarily a bad thing. It wasn't as powerful as I was expecting.

The FZ-09 would be a terrific little hooligan bike if it had suspension sorted out for a big guy. I rode a 2014 model which had the really snatched throttle response. There is supposed to be a free software update to fix those and the 2015 software is good to go. For me, it would end up costing another grand or more for proper suspension. At that point the price delta is too close to the FJ-09 to ignore the better wind protection, bigger tank, rider aids, and decent enough suspension out of the box.

Which is why I really like the FJ. It checks all the boxes for me. If I were to decide to thin the herd, that would be in the running. I also want to demo a V-strom 1000. Funny coincidence happened last weekend. I ran into the guy who bought my old V-strom 650 from me. We were both at the motorcycle shop and he was checking out the FJ-09, FJR, and V-strom 1000. He wanted more power, particularly for 2-up riding. Great minds must think alike.

I also really dig the FZ-07. Too bad the bike feels awkward. The ergos look good on paper, but my knees don't fit around the tank well and it makes the bike feel very cramped. Maybe the XSR700 will be a better fit.
 
Thread starter
Today I rode the Super Tenere and the Naked Fz09

Super Tenere' is really too tall for me. Almost very tippy toes at lights. ergos were great. I thought it was a bit gutless compared to other liter bikes I have owned/ridden. Same wonky mirrors, switches and bar graph tach as all the Yammies I rode yesterday. Gear indicator was nice but a little weird. If you have the clutch in it shows a - in the window, but as soon as you let out the clutch it shows you what gear you're in. Anyhow, bike is alright, but I would never buy one.

Naked FZ09. They have improved this model a lot since the first model year which I also rode. Much much smoother especially in the std mode. A mode can still be a little twitchy, but I could ride this in std mode. Ergos are not nearly as good as the CB1100 and anyone that wants to complain about the CB seat should be forced to ride one of these. Not only is it hard, it's small, dished and slants terribly into the tank. I thought while I was riding if I had one, I'd have to find some way to raise the front of the seat an inch. Even in STD mode ( default setting when you turn on the key) this thing gets up and goes, and in A mode you don't want to grab a big handful of throttle as you finish the apex of your turn unless you like horror movies cause it will scare you. It did me anyways. Again, I don't think there is a place for this bike in my stable, but YMMV.

My favorite of the 5 bikes I rode was the FJ-09, and my son really like that one and rode it again today. He must be getting serious. I know he has been hankering for a new bike. BTW he said the ergos were better on it than his gen 1 FZ-1 but the motor wasn't as strong.

So happy with my choices of the CB and the ST. Wish the ST weighed about a buck fifty less, but I won't give up the smoothness, comfort, and refinement of it just for a little less weight...and of course the CB isn't going anywhere.
 
Good report, thanks. I had to miss the Yam demo truck last year because it was on the weekend that my company was moving offices and I had to move the IT equipment. The truck didn't come to the D.C. area this year, I still want to ride an FJR1300 and an FZ or FJ -09.

I've ridden an S-Ten a couple times and the_undecider's word "agricultural" is spot on, IMO. Didn't do a thing for me.
 
Back
Top