fork overhaul vs. fork replacement?

misterprofessionality

Road warrior
Thread starter
I'm a bit torn about my upcoming suspension upgrades and wanted to see if anybody could offer cogent advice. I'd initially planned to follow in some others footsteps and upgrade my front forks using the '17 cb1100 set since they bolt right on with no issues. However, It was posed to me that I should just change to upgraded springs and change the oil and it would achieve equivalent results after some adjustments. Is this true? For what reason would somebody replace the entire fork if this was an option? what else can i do to improve my front suspension without replacing it? primarily i'm interested in dampening on country roads and corner stability.
 
Thread starter
Thanks Peterbaron. Reading all that has me understanding better why somebody might just replace the forks rather than going through all that. my head spins at the idea of disassembling the forks multiple times and trying to dial in adjustments. The way it was explained to me previously you could drop in new springs and new oil without even pulling the forks off the bike. But i'm reading through many of those threads that there's a whole process of revalving involved...yikes.
 
MisterP , if money is not a big issue I would put just the 2017 forks into your bike , very easy and quick and you could perhaps sell your old ones. PS I am in Charleston at the moment at our daughters on Johns Island at 7 pm when I post this.
 
"However, It was posed to me that I should just change to upgraded springs and change the oil and it would achieve equivalent results after some adjustments"

If all it took was a change in spring rate, oil weight and height...then that's what Honda would have done.

Modification kits have been around for decades (gold valve)....they help, but are band-aids, not new technology.

Every review I've read about the Showa dual bending valve forks has been favorable- both on our Honda's and the Harleys.

My personal experience has been that they improve the ride with no downside.

Buy em, swap em, sell your stock forks.
 
It comes down to how much money you have to spend and the gains you wish/expect to make.
I spent around AU$350 on PD valves and fork springs and I am very happy with the result, straight out of the box, no adjustments, IMO a 50% improvement over stock in both comfort and in handling round bends.
 
Thread starter
ozigoo_imp said:
It comes down to how much money you have to spend and the gains you wish/expect to make.
I spent around AU$350 on PD valves and fork springs and I am very happy with the result, straight out of the box, no adjustments, IMO a 50% improvement over stock in both comfort and in handling round bends.
No adjustments? Thats interesting. Do you have a link to the parts you purchased?
PowerDubs_imp said:
"However, It was posed to me that I should just change to upgraded springs and change the oil and it would achieve equivalent results after some adjustments"

If all it took was a change in spring rate, oil weight and height...then that's what Honda would have done.

Modification kits have been around for decades (gold valve)....they help, but are band-aids, not new technology.

Every review I've read about the Showa dual bending valve forks has been favorable- both on our Honda's and the Harleys.

My personal experience has been that they improve the ride with no downside.

Buy em, swap em, sell your stock forks.
I trust you. Everything I've heard about those shocks are that they're a great improvement. However. Your last line is really the rub. I cant sell the stock forks. I need those in case of a crash. I've kept all my stock parts for that reason.
Houtman_imp said:
MisterP , if money is not a big issue I would put just the 2017 forks into your bike , very easy and quick and you could perhaps sell your old ones. PS I am in Charleston at the moment at our daughters on Johns Island at 7 pm when I post this.
Welcome to Charleston!

I agree with the sentiment on replacing the forks....it seeems sooooo much easier. If I can get similar results for half the money, though, i have to explore it. I can afford either choice, but that doesnt mean I don't care.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
ozigoo_imp said:
It comes down to how much money you have to spend and the gains you wish/expect to make.
I spent around AU$350 on PD valves and fork springs and I am very happy with the result, straight out of the box, no adjustments, IMO a 50% improvement over stock in both comfort and in handling round bends.
No adjustments? Thats interesting. Do you have a link to the parts you purchased?
PowerDubs_imp said:
"However, It was posed to me that I should just change to upgraded springs and change the oil and it would achieve equivalent results after some adjustments"

If all it took was a change in spring rate, oil weight and height...then that's what Honda would have done.

Modification kits have been around for decades (gold valve)....they help, but are band-aids, not new technology.

Every review I've read about the Showa dual bending valve forks has been favorable- both on our Honda's and the Harleys.

My personal experience has been that they improve the ride with no downside.

Buy em, swap em, sell your stock forks.
I trust you. Everything I've heard about those shocks are that they're a great improvement. However. Your last line is really the rub. I cant sell the stock forks. I need those in case of a crash. I've kept all my stock parts for that reason.
Houtman_imp said:
MisterP , if money is not a big issue I would put just the 2017 forks into your bike , very easy and quick and you could perhaps sell your old ones. PS I am in Charleston at the moment at our daughters on Johns Island at 7 pm when I post this.
Welcome to Charleston!

I agree with the sentiment on replacing the forks....it seeems sooooo much easier. If I can get similar results for half the money, though, i have to explore it. I can afford either choice, but that doesnt mean I don't care.



Umm.... if you modify your stock forks....then crash, what happens then?
 
Hello MP. I changed my 2014 forks to 2017 forks, and I am very pleased with the result. I am fairly mechanically inclined, and I do enjoy working on my motorcycles (I own 7), but the older I get it seems the less I enjoy working on them, and the less time I have available to work on them. One can spend hours of testing and going through various adjustments on stock shocks to achieve a satisfactory result (my dirt bikes have way more adjustments than the CB1100). If you limited your changes on the CB to just changing springs, oil viscosity, and oil height, you could be talking a lot of time here. Add a re-valve kit installation, and the potential to have to perform multiple adjustments to the new valving before achieving a satisfactory result, then you're talking some serious time. Throw in the cost of the re-valve parts, springs, fork oil, and your time, is it worth it? It wasn't to me. The fork swap took about one hour, and I was done. The deciding factor for me to buy the 2017 forks was I discovered pitting on one of my fork tubes, and I knew a leaking seal would occur soon, and the tube would have to be replaced. I live in S. Ca, my bike is garage stored, and it has only been drizzled on twice since I bought it new, so there was really no good reason for the pitting. I believe that two other members posted about issues with their fork tubes pitting or the chrome wearing off, and I just didn't want to deal with this (the "time" issue again). Hope this helps.
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
ozigoo_imp said:
It comes down to how much money you have to spend and the gains you wish/expect to make.
I spent around AU$350 on PD valves and fork springs and I am very happy with the result, straight out of the box, no adjustments, IMO a 50% improvement over stock in both comfort and in handling round bends.
No adjustments? Thats interesting. Do you have a link to the parts you purchased?
PowerDubs_imp said:
"However, It was posed to me that I should just change to upgraded springs and change the oil and it would achieve equivalent results after some adjustments"

If all it took was a change in spring rate, oil weight and height...then that's what Honda would have done.

Modification kits have been around for decades (gold valve)....they help, but are band-aids, not new technology.

Every review I've read about the Showa dual bending valve forks has been favorable- both on our Honda's and the Harleys.

My personal experience has been that they improve the ride with no downside.

Buy em, swap em, sell your stock forks.
I trust you. Everything I've heard about those shocks are that they're a great improvement. However. Your last line is really the rub. I cant sell the stock forks. I need those in case of a crash. I've kept all my stock parts for that reason.
Houtman_imp said:
MisterP , if money is not a big issue I would put just the 2017 forks into your bike , very easy and quick and you could perhaps sell your old ones. PS I am in Charleston at the moment at our daughters on Johns Island at 7 pm when I post this.
Welcome to Charleston!

I agree with the sentiment on replacing the forks....it seeems sooooo much easier. If I can get similar results for half the money, though, i have to explore it. I can afford either choice, but that doesnt mean I don't care.



Umm.... if you modify your stock forks....then crash, what happens then?



Umm.... if you modify your stock forks....then crash, what happens then?
Then I dont have spares. That doesn't mean I'd get rid of them if I had the opportunity to have spares. Its just smart to keep them if you care about the bike being totalled. For me, I dont ever want to lose this motorcycle, even if the insurance totals it.
 
I fully agree with Dave from San Diego ,the older one gets the easy solutions become very attractive , time is not on our side .This one thing I like very much with our CB 1100 : very easy to maintain.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
ozigoo_imp said:
It comes down to how much money you have to spend and the gains you wish/expect to make.
I spent around AU$350 on PD valves and fork springs and I am very happy with the result, straight out of the box, no adjustments, IMO a 50% improvement over stock in both comfort and in handling round bends.
No adjustments? Thats interesting. Do you have a link to the parts you purchased?
PowerDubs_imp said:
"However, It was posed to me that I should just change to upgraded springs and change the oil and it would achieve equivalent results after some adjustments"

If all it took was a change in spring rate, oil weight and height...then that's what Honda would have done.

Modification kits have been around for decades (gold valve)....they help, but are band-aids, not new technology.

Every review I've read about the Showa dual bending valve forks has been favorable- both on our Honda's and the Harleys.

My personal experience has been that they improve the ride with no downside.

Buy em, swap em, sell your stock forks.
I trust you. Everything I've heard about those shocks are that they're a great improvement. However. Your last line is really the rub. I cant sell the stock forks. I need those in case of a crash. I've kept all my stock parts for that reason.
Houtman_imp said:
MisterP , if money is not a big issue I would put just the 2017 forks into your bike , very easy and quick and you could perhaps sell your old ones. PS I am in Charleston at the moment at our daughters on Johns Island at 7 pm when I post this.
Welcome to Charleston!

I agree with the sentiment on replacing the forks....it seeems sooooo much easier. If I can get similar results for half the money, though, i have to explore it. I can afford either choice, but that doesnt mean I don't care.
No adjustments? Thats interesting. Do you have a link to the parts you purchased?


I live in South Australia and the YSS dealer here, Walter, has a hugh engineering worshop and basically warehouse in his backyard.

Heres his website, very knowledgeable and very helpful.
PD Fork Valve | Motorcycle fork valves | Hyperpro Australia
Hyperpro Improvement Springs - Best Springs Australia - Front - Hyperpro

After chatting with him for over an hour he basically said the PD valves they sell can be adjusted but they come set to what works for most people.
I put them in with stock springs (No drilling of holes to dampning rod necessary with CB1100) and couldnt notice much of a difference but I didnt really know what I was looking out for, I think they come into play mainly on hard braking and hard cornering, controlling the fluid movement.
I then bought he Hyper Pro progressive springs which I did notice a big difference, much smoother over bumps and feels solid in corners.

Similar install to this, although I didnt get the nice package of bits like he did..I think he got them from Suspensios R Us in Victoria


I cant compare to anything else, maybe new shocks are night and day over this mod, but for my casual riding through the hills ,Im happy.with the cheap upgrade.
 
Houtman_imp said:
I fully agree with Dave from San Diego ,the older one gets the easy solutions become very attractive , time is not on our side .This one thing I like very much with our CB 1100 : very easy to maintain.
John, I've stopped my clock until I personally meet you....and make sure beer and glass are icy cold, please :D
:beerchug:
 
Thread starter
Thanks for these ozi. The video was just about the most applicable and detailed video I've ever seen for that upgrade process. Your links are great except for the PD valve page which doesnt let me select one for the CB1100. Ill just have to cobtact the vendor directly by email to get pricing. The guy in the video was using the same products ypu linked right?
 
Someone to kill this f...g Covid-19 first, so I can visit John and some other members + '21 S/Ohio Rally, please
 
Houtman_imp said:
Peter , my life will not be fulfilled till I meet you in person , it is one of the few things keeping me alive.....
A bromance right here on the forum! :banana:
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Peter , my life will not be fulfilled till I meet you in person , it is one of the few things keeping me alive.....
A bromance right here on the forum! :banana:
A bromance right here on the forum! :banana:
I heard Australia and Canada start building toll free bridge....my visit to Queensland is imminent....
:banana:
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Thanks for these ozi. The video was just about the most applicable and detailed video I've ever seen for that upgrade process. Your links are great except for the PD valve page which doesnt let me select one for the CB1100. Ill just have to cobtact the vendor directly by email to get pricing. The guy in the video was using the same products ypu linked right?
Np, Yea he was using the YSS kit which I think came from Suspensions R Us in Victoria. I dont think the Adelaide guy sells the kit as such ,might be worth ringing both and compare...
 
Back
Top