Fork Gaiters - buyer beware

ClassicVW_imp said:
Pechorin75- Did I ever say he shouldn't have reported it?
Not directly, but it seemed to me that your post expressing sarcastic surprise at the poor quality of the product was very easy to interpret as mocking the OP (it certainly seems like the OP took it that way). Maybe you didn't mean it that way...
 
Pretty sure he meant it that way...

I appreciated the OP's warning. The "I told ya so" and mocking replies to his post, though? Decidedly unappreciated.

However, they did get me to read a post about gaiters, in which I have no great interest.
 
12cb96vfr_imp said:
jeez, nice replies. sorry fellas, was just trying to assist. i installed these before the others warned about them, and gaiters seem pretty basic to me, so $25 didnt seem overly cheap or like i was buying garbage.

was just trying to help....lesson learned.

Like Pechorin, I would like to thank you for the report. This is useful information that I didn't know.
 
There is nothing wrong with advising members of possible issues, even repeatedly. Threads fall off the front page, get forgotten, eventually going into the archives and newer members never have the chance to see them without using the search engine. We have members that are hours old and threads that are almost 2 years old now.
 
I caution anyone to not put words in my mouth. I meant no insult to the poster. I apologize to him if my sarcasm was interpreted as meanness. I never stated he shouldn't have posted it. Being a cheapskate myself, I have been on the short end a couple of times when trying to save a buck and I learned a lesson or two.

I only addressed, I thought with a bit of humor... again, I apologize... that when an item retails in three other places for $100, $125, and $155, and one takes a shot on a similar item for $25, then we should not be surprised it was inferior. I still feel that way.
 
Okay, I'll start from the premise that you didn't mean to insult anyone, because I'm sure that's true. But let me explain where I'm coming from.

First of all, if you make a sarcastic comment, there's always a subtext. That's the whole point of a sarcastic comment--you're saying one thing, but you really mean something else. And because this is all happening online, without the benefit of real-life cues to let others know that (for example) you're just trying to inject a little humor into the situation, it's really easy for others to misunderstand or take offense. Clearly that's what happened in this case (look at the OP's response).

As far as "putting words in [your] mouth"...pointing out why/how a sarcastic comment might be taken poorly is not, in my opinion, the same as misquoting you. And actually, the sentence I think you're referring to was meant to illustrate how a person might "interpret" both your comment and the one ss2wheels had made earlier.

To illustrate my point, here's a purely hypothetical situation (all these words are mine). Imagine that you post something like the following: "Just FYI, I skipped my 8,000 mile valve inspection (I was in the middle of a long road trip, and it wasn't really practical to get to a shop). By the time I got home, I was at 12,000 miles, so I figured I might as well just wait to have the valves checked at 16,000--and it turned out that four were tight and two were loose. So you guys might not want to repeat my mistake!"

Then some other guy posts this in reply: "Me and Joe and Fred warned everybody about this last spring! You always have to read and follow the manual!"

And then jimbo says (in large font): "Wait a sec! You choose to ignore factory recommended maintenance, and we're surprised when things turn to sh**?"

If you were the OP, there, how would you feel about those replies--if you didn't know the people who made them? And in the future, would you be more or less likely to post potentially helpful information that you'd learned from making a mistake?

That's the only point I'm trying to make. I'm not trying to "go to war" with you.
 
Meaning, inflection, and the smile behind the intent is hard to distinguish on the internet, so if we all think about HOW something we say might be interpreted BEFORE hitting the reply button, it will make my job a lot easier, and go along way towards preventing hurt feelings.

Ok guys I think the points have been made and understood. Lets move on. Go for a ride, take some pics, do a ride report.
 
We need a popcorn eating smiley :rolleyes:
 
I'll settle for pics of your bike in the garage on the charger ;)
 
pechorin75_imp said:
Okay, I'll start from the premise that you didn't mean to insult anyone, because I'm sure that's true. But let me explain where I'm coming from.

First of all, if you make a sarcastic comment, there's always a subtext. That's the whole point of a sarcastic comment--you're saying one thing, but you really mean something else. And because this is all happening online, without the benefit of real-life cues to let others know that (for example) you're just trying to inject a little humor into the situation, it's really easy for others to misunderstand or take offense. Clearly that's what happened in this case (look at the OP's response).

As far as "putting words in [your] mouth"...pointing out why/how a sarcastic comment might be taken poorly is not, in my opinion, the same as misquoting you. And actually, the sentence I think you're referring to was meant to illustrate how a person might "interpret" both your comment and the one ss2wheels had made earlier.

To illustrate my point, here's a purely hypothetical situation (all these words are mine). Imagine that you post something like the following: "Just FYI, I skipped my 8,000 mile valve inspection (I was in the middle of a long road trip, and it wasn't really practical to get to a shop). By the time I got home, I was at 12,000 miles, so I figured I might as well just wait to have the valves checked at 16,000--and it turned out that four were tight and two were loose. So you guys might not want to repeat my mistake!"

Then some other guy posts this in reply: "Me and Joe and Fred warned everybody about this last spring! You always have to read and follow the manual!"

And then jimbo says (in large font): "Wait a sec! You choose to ignore factory recommended maintenance, and we're surprised when things turn to sh**?"

If you were the OP, there, how would you feel about those replies--if you didn't know the people who made them? And in the future, would you be more or less likely to post potentially helpful information that you'd learned from making a mistake?

That's the only point I'm trying to make. I'm not trying to "go to war" with you.
I told you that insulting you was not my intent. I apologized. I did not need the lecture, but thank you anyway. I thought we had moved on. I think you're beating this to death and beyond. Let it go. If you don't, then you're saying you don't believe me, which "I" then resent.

If anyone thinks I'm being too sensitive or even insensitive, then place me on your ignore list. I won't argue this any longer.
 
Wait?!? There's an ignore list???

No WONDER people aren't replying to my thread titled "What's your favorite semi-automatic weapon and was President Obama really born in Hawaii?"

 
I want desperately to reply because that's pretty darn funny but I promised myself I'd continue to ignore you.

Who am I kidding? I really like how you've tied in the Frozen theme that seems to be trending on CB1100forum.com. Brilliant. And odd at the same time.
 
Let's talk about oil.

If you put Honda oil on your Kawasaki Gaiters they will melt just the same unless you dip them in used Mobil-1 10 W2 and wrap them in duct (duck) tape during the tax season.

Or, you could take a tip from the badest azz Kawasaki Mach III, better known as the "Kamakazi 500" in my part of 1969, due to a rather alarming tendency to lift it's front gaiterless forks at just about any ole wrong time. That tip is to lose the gaiters thereby reducing the front loading weight by a critical 6.3 ounces on the left and 6.4 on the right, the right being slightly heavier due to cheaper oil prices for the conservative side.

I know that's right.
 
ES, see at 1:24. "The cold never bothered me anyway." Must be Ferret's theme song.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
ES, see at 1:24. "The cold never bothered me anyway." Must be Ferret's theme song.
I'm impressed that you lasted that long into the video. Or, do you have the song memorized to that extent?
NightRider_imp said:
Let's talk about oil.

If you put Honda oil on your Kawasaki Gaiters they will melt just the same unless you dip them in used Mobil-1 10 W2 and wrap them in duct (duck) tape during the tax season.

Or, you could take a tip from the badest azz Kawasaki Mach III, better known as the "Kamakazi 500" in my part of 1969, due to a rather alarming tendency to lift it's front gaiterless forks at just about any ole wrong time. That tip is to lose the gaiters thereby reducing the front loading weight by a critical 6.3 ounces on the left and 6.4 on the right, the right being slightly heavier due to cheaper oil prices for the conservative side.

I know that's right.
Finally! Someone who obviously knows what he's talking about!
 
That song brings me to tears every time I hear. It's becoming like the "it's a small world" song at Disneyland. I think I'll go stick some knitting needles in my ears now.......
 
Back
Top