forget GoPro, this is the best FPV set up for a motorcycle! :)

Riko_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I present to you: the Polaroid Cube Plus.

An action cam I did not know about untill a few weeks ago when I was looking around for a compact cam to mount on my helmet, I said on, untill now....

About the cam, it may not be as sharp as a high end GoPro, but still good enough.
And cheaper than the GoPro Session and bit smaller too.



Main specs:
image stabilization;
max res of 1440p;
can do 120fps in 720p;
time laps;
etc

and all that for 150 USD

What I like the most is its very compact with its 35mm x 35mm x 35mm and has a big magnet at the bottom, wich allows a handy person to make something like this.


Now thats First Person View.

So what did I do and how did I do it?
I basically installed the cam inside the helmet using a magnet to hold it in place, accidental advantage is it has free movement...because you dont wanna have that fixed when crashing hard.

Some pics to show how I started my little project:

first I cut out a template from a plastic ringmap, the plastic is strong
One side I slide between the shell and the outer lining and on the other side I used the tabs from the inner lining to keep everything in place.


That was actually the hardest part.
Now get the cam and find some magnets, luckely I found some between my tools that were light and strong.


The cam is small indeed


This magnet actually came with packaging, but it was too big to slide under the plastic.


This tool was a tad too long


This one seems perfect


And it was, I could slide it completely underneath the plastic


Now you have a usefull action cam inside a helmet thank to some plastic a a strong magnet.




Tomorrow I'll make some footage, next 3 days are very sunny here in Belgium so I will ride a lot :biker:
I got inspired by a guy that did about the same, but used different materials...
1cc07f0ae8035a722c90dc73449aa9d4.jpg

8d45c99d5608205a1ae1b9d660a16ec5.jpg

3434c0d856dfaed3e876324f970d595c.jpg


But his solution seems too dangerous in the event of an impact, so close to the temple :-/
 
There is no way I would put something like that inside of my helmet. Thin speakers are one thing, but this is large enough to cause some major damage if you go down. The foam is there to absorb any impact and is designed to collapse during an impact event. Once your head comes into contact with this either this will break, or your head will, and probably both.
I just think that it's a bad idea.
 
Randy B_imp said:
There is no way I would put something like that inside of my helmet. Thin speakers are one thing, but this is large enough to cause some major damage if you go down. The foam is there to absorb any impact and is designed to collapse during an impact event. Once your head comes into contact with this either this will break, or your head will, and probably both.
I just think that it's a bad idea.
Right in the weakest area of your skull, too, the temple/orbital socket. That's god bad idea written all over it.
 
Thread starter
This is why its not fixed in any way, and only uses magnetic force.
That can make a huge difference.

One could also argue that fixing a camera on the outside, wether it be on top or on the side, could also cause major skull injuries depending on how you fall...M. Schumacher.
AzBob_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
There is no way I would put something like that inside of my helmet. Thin speakers are one thing, but this is large enough to cause some major damage if you go down. The foam is there to absorb any impact and is designed to collapse during an impact event. Once your head comes into contact with this either this will break, or your head will, and probably both.
I just think that it's a bad idea.
Right in the weakest area of your skull, too, the temple/orbital socket. That's god bad idea written all over it.
Right in the weakest area of your skull, too, the temple/orbital socket. That's god bad idea written all over it.
mine is not at the temple area, but bellow the cheek bone

I think you are looking at the bottom 2 pictures, this is not my set up as I explained...
b2101c6c5a0f94f6f6c12f91c0bb74ad.jpg

a870179a2bab5f962699b6d06f079881.jpg
 
I'm really surprised that no major helmet manufacturer has come out with a design which incorporates mounts or some type of recess/well for a camera. Just seems to be a huge demand for it.
 
Thread starter
todays cams are just too big, this little polaroid is the first together with the Session from GoPro you could fit inside a helmet
 
That looks like a very compact little camera, Riko. The specs (120 fps / 720p) are just fine for a helmet cam. I must admit that I was a bit surprised to learn that Polaroid was still in business.
 
I think I had read that Polaroid has filed bankruptcy twice, but are making a comeback now.
 
Can't agree with you Riko. GoPro, from Hero4, goes to 4K video resolution and is a much more versatile camera. Some features that are useful on and off the bike include up to 12MP photo res in single shot, burst, multi and night photo, time and night lapse with multiple shutter settings. ISO control, EVP, spot metering, pro-tune, looping, highlight tagging, simultaneous video and photo capability, exposure compensation, white balance etc. Waterproof (great for kayaking, fishing and surfing).

As for mounting a camera inside the helmet. Not a good idea. If your head comes in contact with it it has nowhere to go. Mounting on the exterior of the helmet allows the camera mount to shear allowing the helmet padding to do its job. I have mounted the camera on my helmet but have found that, while mostly satisfactory, editing is required to remove head checks if, like me at least, you tend to look twice and manoeuvre once :).

The price is right for the Polaroid, but I fear one gets what one pays for.

Cheers
 
The ferret_imp said:
I think I had read that Polaroid has filed bankruptcy twice, but are making a comeback now.
Some of their new instant cameras do look kinda cool -- they've basically reinvented the classic Polaroid instant photo, but digital and using zero ink printing technology.
 
In addition to the above (post 9) attributes of the GoPro, I neglected to mention that, if you want to get professional, multiple cameras can be controlled, by remote up to 150m, iPad or iPhone. Expensive? Yes. Versatile? Yes. Quality? Yes. If you don't need it there are some very good, and cheaper, alternatives.

Cheers
 
Thread starter
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Can't agree with you Riko. GoPro, from Hero4, goes to 4K video resolution and is a much more versatile camera. Some features that are useful on and off the bike include up to 12MP photo res in single shot, burst, multi and night photo, time and night lapse with multiple shutter settings. ISO control, EVP, spot metering, pro-tune, looping, highlight tagging, simultaneous video and photo capability, exposure compensation, white balance etc. Waterproof (great for kayaking, fishing and surfing).

As for mounting a camera inside the helmet. Not a good idea. If your head comes in contact with it it has nowhere to go. Mounting on the exterior of the helmet allows the camera mount to shear allowing the helmet padding to do its job. I have mounted the camera on my helmet but have found that, while mostly satisfactory, editing is required to remove head checks if, like me at least, you tend to look twice and manoeuvre once :).

The price is right for the Polaroid, but I fear one gets what one pays for.

Cheers
True....you get many more adjustable features on the GoPro.
For the price difference you better have :)

It is more professional, for sure.

Ps: the waterproof box is not included with the Hero and the Polaroid also can be equipped with such a box.

I just like the fact you got a cheaper alternative that isn't that much inferior in its basic specs against the classleading more expensive action cams, wich is no doubt GoPro.

Anyway, today the sun is shining so I'llbe testing that little box :biker:

Pterodactyl_imp said:
Can't agree with you Riko. GoPro, from Hero4, goes to 4K video resolution and is a much more versatile camera. Some features that are useful on and off the bike include up to 12MP photo res in single shot, burst, multi and night photo, time and night lapse with multiple shutter settings. ISO control, EVP, spot metering, pro-tune, looping, highlight tagging, simultaneous video and photo capability, exposure compensation, white balance etc. Waterproof (great for kayaking, fishing and surfing).

As for mounting a camera inside the helmet. Not a good idea. If your head comes in contact with it it has nowhere to go. Mounting on the exterior of the helmet allows the camera mount to shear allowing the helmet padding to do its job. I have mounted the camera on my helmet but have found that, while mostly satisfactory, editing is required to remove head checks if, like me at least, you tend to look twice and manoeuvre once :).

The price is right for the Polaroid, but I fear one gets what one pays for.

Cheers
The positive thing about this mounting option, imo, is that its attached with a magnet, so the cam is not fixed.
If it would be fixed than the cam has nowhere to go and I would not feel safe as well in case of certain crashes.

If due to the crash the magnet should fail, the area the cam can fly is also very limited, so no high impact danger imo.
 
Riko_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Can't agree with you Riko. GoPro, from Hero4, goes to 4K video resolution and is a much more versatile camera. Some features that are useful on and off the bike include up to 12MP photo res in single shot, burst, multi and night photo, time and night lapse with multiple shutter settings. ISO control, EVP, spot metering, pro-tune, looping, highlight tagging, simultaneous video and photo capability, exposure compensation, white balance etc. Waterproof (great for kayaking, fishing and surfing).

As for mounting a camera inside the helmet. Not a good idea. If your head comes in contact with it it has nowhere to go. Mounting on the exterior of the helmet allows the camera mount to shear allowing the helmet padding to do its job. I have mounted the camera on my helmet but have found that, while mostly satisfactory, editing is required to remove head checks if, like me at least, you tend to look twice and manoeuvre once :).

The price is right for the Polaroid, but I fear one gets what one pays for.

Cheers
True....you get many more adjustable features on the GoPro.
For the price difference you better have :)

It is more professional, for sure.

Ps: the waterproof box is not included with the Hero and the Polaroid also can be equipped with such a box.

I just like the fact you got a cheaper alternative that isn't that much inferior in its basic specs against the classleading more expensive action cams, wich is no doubt GoPro.

Anyway, today the sun is shining so I'llbe testing that little box :biker:

Pterodactyl_imp said:
Can't agree with you Riko. GoPro, from Hero4, goes to 4K video resolution and is a much more versatile camera. Some features that are useful on and off the bike include up to 12MP photo res in single shot, burst, multi and night photo, time and night lapse with multiple shutter settings. ISO control, EVP, spot metering, pro-tune, looping, highlight tagging, simultaneous video and photo capability, exposure compensation, white balance etc. Waterproof (great for kayaking, fishing and surfing).

As for mounting a camera inside the helmet. Not a good idea. If your head comes in contact with it it has nowhere to go. Mounting on the exterior of the helmet allows the camera mount to shear allowing the helmet padding to do its job. I have mounted the camera on my helmet but have found that, while mostly satisfactory, editing is required to remove head checks if, like me at least, you tend to look twice and manoeuvre once :).

The price is right for the Polaroid, but I fear one gets what one pays for.

Cheers
The positive thing about this mounting option, imo, is that its attached with a magnet, so the cam is not fixed.
If it would be fixed than the cam has nowhere to go and I would not feel safe as well in case of certain crashes.

If due to the crash the magnet should fail, the area the cam can fly is also very limited, so no high impact danger imo.
My entry level GoPro Hero ($119 at best buy), includes the waterproof back. You don't need a "box" for the hero.
 
Joe is correct. The case is standard and is equipped with three backs. One makes waterproof, the other open (sound benefits)!and the third gives the ability to use the touch screen while remaining enclosed.

Ok the magnet lets go, so where does the camera go? Somewhere inside the helmet I guess. Not good.

Cheers
 
Thread starter
Whatever it may be, you can make a deal for a Session cam and okay you could find a waterproof case to go with it, fair enough.
Here in the shops I found, none of that can be found.
The low price seems to be the exeption, in general the Session is more expensive than the Cube Plus.

What ever the case is, to each his own, but I am very happy with my Cube.
I will buy another action cam that is more high end and it will not be a GoPro but a Sony AS50R.
Not that there is anything wrong with GoPro, but I just like the Sony alternative more, due to the mounting options, the live remote you can clamp on your handle bar and the many features...

About the Cube in the helmet, IF the magnet lets go that would imply a crash soooo severe that a loose camera in a helmet is the least of my concern at that point.
I know for a fact that if the impact is so hard that the camera seperates from the magnet, I would have a crushed head or something similar.
Point being, the magnet will hold up fine. And every other situation where it doesnt is already life threatening, loose from the whole magnet in helmet discussion.
 
Riko, I hope you never find out.
 
Back
Top