For those curious about riding in Europe

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
My wife and I saved for 10 years and did an Edelweiss tour of 5 countries in Europe a few years ago. Germany, France, Switzerland, Austria and Lichtenstein. Expensive, yes, but absolutely the greatest motorcycling experience in our lives. So glad we did it. Highly recommended. I've often said if Europe changed places with Canada, and I could just drive there, I'd go there several times a year.

Hard to describe what it's like riding over there but here's a neat little video that somewhat represents it.

For our forum members who live there, every day I am envious.

http://adventurebikerider.com/news/1354-watch-a-stunning-10-day-motorcycle-tour-of-europe.html
 
Thanks ferret for posting that link. Beautiful!

European roadsides always look so clean and well groomed, perhaps people there appreciate the aesthetic value of what they have. Near my home are many charming and lovely places of the "Old South" but few seem to derive any pleasure from it gauged by the level of trash thrown to the roadside. A pity and shameful.
 
Thread starter
We, noticed that right off on our tour of Europe Redbirds. Europe was spotless compared to the US. Roads are clean, houses are clean and well maintained, and many houses had window boxes of flowers, even the train stations were clean and free of trash and graffiti
 
I think that give you more of a sense of the total lack of respect that way too many people in the US have for anything that doesn't directly involve them. It's a shame, really.
 
It is necessary to believe that we are never satisfied by what we have... I dream about the unlimitedness of your country and about your roads crossing landscapes and very diverse climates. I am amazed at what you say on the cleanliness of roads and houses here in Europe, I rather had the impression than in US everything was of a clinical cleanliness...
Guy
 
The ferret_imp said:
My wife and I saved for 10 years and did an Edelweiss tour of 5 countries in Europe a few years ago. Germany, France, Switzerland, Austria and Lichtenstein. Expensive, yes, but absolutely the greatest motorcycling experience in our lives. So glad we did it. Highly recommended. I've often said if Europe changed places with Canada, and I could just drive there, I'd go there several times a year.

Hard to describe what it's like riding over there but here's a neat little video that somewhat represents it.

For our forum members who live there, every day I am envious.

http://adventurebikerider.com/news/1354-watch-a-stunning-10-day-motorcycle-tour-of-europe.html
Nice...thanks for posting. I love Europe- everything about it.
 
I get across the channel twice a year for a couple of weeks each time. France, Germany and Spain in recent years and this year I'm off to Italy in June and Spain again in October. I always go with a tour group as it saves any organising and it is a great way to meet new biking friends. I've teamed up with many people this way and we book future holidays together and also meet up for runs back home. Two tour operators I have experience with and can thoroughly recommend are: Ride With Us and Dragon tours.
 
Good thread. Thanks for posting your experiences. Maybe everyone that has toured can post their experiences with agents and all.
 
we live in the Uk and for the last 7 years have done a Tour of the Alpine region . Covered all the countries and also took in the Dolomities which is one of the most beautiful scenes I have ever seen. Switzerland is our favourite country and we just keep going back .
All these trips were done on our Kawasaki GTR , a great touring bike .

Most be an even more special trip to come to europe from the states, for us is just a hop skip and a jump through the euro tunnel into france
 
Viper_imp said:
we live in the Uk and for the last 7 years have done a Tour of the Alpine region . Covered all the countries and also took in the Dolomities which is one of the most beautiful scenes I have ever seen. Switzerland is our favourite country and we just keep going back .
All these trips were done on our Kawasaki GTR , a great touring bike .

Most be an even more special trip to come to europe from the states, for us is just a hop skip and a jump through the euro tunnel into france
Viper, I live just down the road in Leigh. Will have to compare CB's sometime.
 
The ferret_imp said:
My wife and I saved for 10 years and did an Edelweiss tour of 5 countries in Europe a few years ago. Germany, France, Switzerland, Austria and Lichtenstein. Expensive, yes, but absolutely the greatest motorcycling experience in our lives. So glad we did it. Highly recommended. I've often said if Europe changed places with Canada, and I could just drive there, I'd go there several times a year.

Hard to describe what it's like riding over there but here's a neat little video that somewhat represents it.

For our forum members who live there, every day I am envious.

http://adventurebikerider.com/news/1354-watch-a-stunning-10-day-motorcycle-tour-of-europe.html
Great thread Ferret, very inspiring. Japan too, was amazingly clean, at least the parts I saw.
 
No, for me it's not that. I love the history and scenery of Great Britain and Europe. Seeing it on a motorcycle would be awesome ! What time of year did you go Ferret ?
 
Thread starter
Alan we went in August 2010

Here is a link to a ride report for a forum for riders from Ohio I did when we returned. Unfortunately most of the pics have been deleted from my photobucket acct to make way for new CB1100 photos, but the text is good. If interested, be sure and read all the way to the end (at least my posts where I describe what we did daily) and the one by the German fellow blahwas on page 11 I think. Wish the pics were still there because they were stunning, but that was over 5 years ago and didn't think anyone would be interested anymore.

Contact Support
 
Chapomis_imp said:
No, for me it's not that. I love the history and scenery of Great Britain and Europe. Seeing it on a motorcycle would be awesome ! What time of year did you go Ferret ?
If you are going to Spain late September and early October are good months as the weather is not too hot and all the schools are back so the roads are quiet. August is a traditional holiday month in Europe and many factories close for the whole month. This means the roads can be very busy and the Europeans do like their caravans and motor homes! May, June and early July are good times for weather and quiet roads.
 
Thread starter
When we were done with the tour and getting our return flights from Germany it was German vacation time and the airport was a zoo. Talk about long lines and waits. Holy cow.
 
Living in Germany was wonderful for riding. I must say that I am so lucky to have been able to ride all over Europe while stationed there. There is no riding that I have found in the states that have compared to it. However, there is some great riding here, and I have yet to go out west to ride. So my opinion is limited to the eastern US. Man, I miss Germany. It was so easy to pop on down to Austria and Switzerland. I would recommend to anyone who gets the chance to take a bike tour over there to do it. You won't be let down. So much to see that we do not have here...Like all the Castles. They are everywhere. One of the best parts of it is the fact that they all seem to watch out for MC's. I felt so much safer riding there.
 
Thanks, Ferret. Great post and food for thought.
 
Ferret: I also took the Edelweiss tour with a buddy a few years ago and did the same countries that you did, only we also went to Italy and did
the Dolomities. The best bike trip that I have ever taken. You cant beat having a guide that knows where to go and were to have lunch, knows the
language, the exchange rates and on and on. At the end of the day you arrive at your Hotel and your luggage is in your room and you can have a
good local beer. A once in a lifetime experience. If I had a chance I would go again.
 
Back
Top