Folks, it's been nice...

the_undecider_imp

Been there
Thread starter
When I first took a test ride, the bike just felt so right, so natural. I was positive it was the perfect fit. As I started to get more acquainted, I started to have various comfort issues. Ended up changing bars, saddle, and footpegs to get this thing to feel better, and it did for a while.

Unfortunately, I spent all this money to no avail. The bike is beautiful to look at, but if it isn't comfortable, whats the point of all that beauty. Time to cut my losses. You'll probably see my K&H solo seat for sale in the near future. I'll need to put that money towards my new K&H tall saddle. Plus, I need to get that chrome chain guard I've been wanting and a nice grab rail to go with my new saddle. If I'm giving up my awesome solo seat, I have to make the new one look at cool as possible, right?

Seriously, will it ever end? I've been kicking around the idea of ordering a Road Comet, too. Geez, this is gonna be an expensive year for farkling. I thought I was done!
 
After reading the thread title and the first paragraph it sounded like you were getting rid of the CB - but I guess not - just looking for more comfort. (?)
 
I can more or less echo you on the comfort front...I am gonna continue added goodies to the CB1100 2014 std this spring and early summer..If it is still not comfy to my satisfaction, I'll likely sell;of course at a big loss.Hey, I'm pushing 80..Not time to dally...I still have three other bikes.
Plans: improve seat.......figure out how to block heavy updraft when legs are on the forward pegs, add a "flipper" of some sort to the top of my parabellum windshield to block even more wind..

I already added risers (make little difference in my seating position) and lowers (very effective), engine bars and Kury offset pegs.

Just telling the way it is..Live and learn or adapt.
 
Thread starter
Rocky_imp said:
After reading the thread title and the first paragraph it sounded like you were getting rid of the CB - but I guess not - just looking for more comfort. (?)
I've talked about selling it in the past due to comfort issues, so I was purposefully making the title and first part of my post sound that way hoping I might trick someone, haha.

I love the bike so much, I can't bring myself to sell it despite the considerable financial investment I have and will be making.
 
You know this isn't the perfect bike for everyone and if you are under 50 I can see where it might not meet certain expectations. The CB won't be my last bike, although I love it and won't get rid of it, but if I had 20 more years to buy bikes it certainly wouldn't be my last.

I'd love to have a light weight 650-800cc solo sport tourer with fairing/ bags and most importantly shaft drive... and I figure I have 1/2 dozen years or so for them to come out with it to benefit me. Something along the lines of an FJ09 with shaft drive...and good fueling.

If they don't, it will be a lowered SV 650 or a Versys 650 or ???? Still have places to ride to!
 
The ferret_imp said:
You know this isn't the perfect bike for everyone and if you are under 50 I can see where it might not meet certain expectations. The CB won't be my last bike, although I love it and won't get rid of it, but if I had 20 more years to buy bikes it certainly wouldn't be my last.

I'd love to have a light weight 650-800cc solo sport tourer with fairing/ bags and most importantly shaft drive... and I figure I have 1/2 dozen years or so for them to come out with it to benefit me. Something along the lines of an FJ09 with shaft drive...and good fueling.

If they don't, it will be a lowered SV 650 or a Versys 650 or ???? Still have places to ride to!
A big +1 on this one...


And UD, I'm dang glad you're not giving up on your CB... it's a beautiful setup thus far.
 
As the ferret said, the CB isn't a perfect fit for everyone, but for me, the moment I sat on it, it felt just right and I haven't felt the need to make any changes.
Like most bikes, the factory seat inflicts some pain after a while and that's the only thing that bothers me, but by then it's time to take a rest anyway.
 
The ferret_imp said:
You know this isn't the perfect bike for everyone and if you are under 50 I can see where it might not meet certain expectations. The CB won't be my last bike, although I love it and won't get rid of it, but if I had 20 more years to buy bikes it certainly wouldn't be my last.

I'd love to have a light weight 650-800cc solo sport tourer with fairing/ bags and most importantly shaft drive... and I figure I have 1/2 dozen years or so for them to come out with it to benefit me. Something along the lines of an FJ09 with shaft drive...and good fueling.

If they don't, it will be a lowered SV 650 or a Versys 650 or ???? Still have places to ride to!
The NT700V checks all of your boxes, plus it keep things in the family. No?
 
Rocky_imp said:
As the ferret said, the CB isn't a perfect fit for everyone, but for me, the moment I sat on it, it felt just right and I haven't felt the need to make any changes.
Like most bikes, the factory seat inflicts some pain after a while and that's the only thing that bothers me, but by then it's time to take a rest anyway.
I think you nailed it, Rocky, as far as my thinking also. My style of riding is more cruise oriented than performance so a windshield is something I'll most likely forgo. I would enjoy having the Staintune slip on muffler, but of a higher priority, for me is the seat. I believe that will be my first investment, a new Corbin.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
You know this isn't the perfect bike for everyone and if you are under 50 I can see where it might not meet certain expectations. The CB won't be my last bike, although I love it and won't get rid of it, but if I had 20 more years to buy bikes it certainly wouldn't be my last.

I'd love to have a light weight 650-800cc solo sport tourer with fairing/ bags and most importantly shaft drive... and I figure I have 1/2 dozen years or so for them to come out with it to benefit me. Something along the lines of an FJ09 with shaft drive...and good fueling.

If they don't, it will be a lowered SV 650 or a Versys 650 or ???? Still have places to ride to!
The NT700V checks all of your boxes, plus it keep things in the family. No?
The NT700V checks all of your boxes, plus it keep things in the family. No?
I had the same question, sat on a couple on Thursday. But, 700 is quite a drop from 1300, power wise.
 
Hadn't even considered an NT700. My dealer never had one so I have not seen one in the flesh. Probably pretty heavy too I would think. Anyone ride one?

I briefly considered the BMW 800 Twin GT thingy but in the end can't bring myself to buy one due to sketchy dealer network. It's going to have to be made by the Big 4 for me.
 
My prior bike was a '14 CTX700ND, with the DCT dual clutch auto. The 670 cc twin was peppy, smooth and versatile... Nice bike but not something I felt would work (for me) on longer distance rides.
 
Undecider ? give me a heads -up when you decide to sell the K&H solo.

I tried the stock seat for a while, then I tried the Corbin which sat me way too far back (5'11, long arms) and I likened it to sitting on a board. Now i'm onto the Chic which I got late in the season and haven't spent enough time on yet, but seems promising. The Chic pushed me forward into what I think will be the right spot, I even took the barbacks off.

So, Folks, it's been nice, just not for my butt
 
Guess I've been lucky in that the CB fits me perfect, including the saddle. I would not hesitate to ride mine cross country and back.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Guess I've been lucky in that the CB fits me perfect, including the saddle. I would not hesitate to ride mine cross country and back.
Believe me, redbirds, I am not whining about my CB1100. It's a wonderful [Time Machine], and does everything extremely well. I'm not in a mad rush to part with $450 for a new saddle, but it's something I will try eventually. In the meantime, I'm gonna ride my beautiful motorcycle and enjoy every moment and every mile.
 
I had issues with the stock seat. I always felt like I was sliding forward so I took the seat to an auto upholstery shop and asked him what he could do. He quickly suggested forming more of a saddle seat so he added foam to the front, took 2'" off the butt back and shaved some of the foam out of the butt. He reused the stock cover and charged me $85. I was happy with the looks and even happier with the effectiveness.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Hadn't even considered an NT700. My dealer never had one so I have not seen one in the flesh. Probably pretty heavy too I would think. Anyone ride one?

I briefly considered the BMW 800 Twin GT thingy but in the end can't bring myself to buy one due to sketchy dealer network. It's going to have to be made by the Big 4 for me.
BMW dealers have been exemplary in my experience but the F800GT gets a bit vibey at speed and probably wouldn't be the best choice if you're looking for long-haul touring comfort, especially coming off an ST1300. It's relatively light (470 lbs) and plenty fun for 3-4 day sport-touring rides on secondary roads, but probably not the best pick if you intend to spend hours droning down the interstate. I haven't ridden the NT700V but MCN loved it, for what that's worth.
 
What about the possibility of Honda building a roadster type bike around the new Africa Twin engine. The modern theme is to built several bikes using common parts and a light weight 1000cc twin tourer might be on the cards.
 
Thread starter
Paulb_imp said:
What about the possibility of Honda building a roadster type bike around the new Africa Twin engine. The modern theme is to built several bikes using common parts and a light weight 1000cc twin tourer might be on the cards.
Might be interesting, but large parallel twins aren't most appealing for me. They don't have an appealing character for a bike that, to me, needs to be congenial.
 
Back
Top