FJR Cannonball Run

emullick_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
For the FJR fans, somebody wanted to set a new motorcycle "Cannonball Record", (a coast to coast run). He did it in 32 hours, 2,800 miles. He bought a used FJR 1300 with 80,000 miles on the clock, for $5,000, added fuel capacity, and some "electronics", and off he went. Average 87 mph with 120 mph max. for 32 hours.
 
Ferret wins.....FJR beat the K1600 by a lot

2645e76aa6142c7f72fc3f85fa3d1b32.jpg


I can't imagine riding almost 33 or 35 hours straight.
 
offroadfx4_imp said:
Ferret wins.....FJR beat the K1600 by a lot

2645e76aa6142c7f72fc3f85fa3d1b32.jpg


I can't imagine riding almost 33 or 35 hours straight.
By "straight" do you mean "continuously" or "without curves"? Hard to know with the likes of you. ;)
 
EmptySea_imp said:
offroadfx4_imp said:
Ferret wins.....FJR beat the K1600 by a lot

2645e76aa6142c7f72fc3f85fa3d1b32.jpg


I can't imagine riding almost 33 or 35 hours straight.
By "straight" do you mean "continuously" or "without curves"? Hard to know with the likes of you. ;)
By "straight" do you mean "continuously" or "without curves"? Hard to know with the likes of you. ;)
:rofl:
 
Shoot in 1977 my wife and I rode straight home from Orlando Fla 942 miles 17 hours and change on our Vetter equipped KZ 1000. That was all the endurance riding I have cared to do. Was 94 degrees F when we left Orlando and 34 degrees F when we pulled into Cincinnati.

On the trip down to Florida

e71da8eae9f012165c9031e981000511.jpg


Done lots of 12 hour days since but after about 8 or 10 I'm ready for a clean hotel room, a good meal, a hot shower and a comfy bed.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Shoot in 1977 my wife and I rode straight home from Orlando Fla 942 miles 17 hours and change on our Vetter equipped KZ 1000. That was all the endurance riding I have cared to do. Was 94 degrees F when we left Orlando and 34 degrees F when we pulled into Cincinnati.

On the trip down to Florida

e71da8eae9f012165c9031e981000511.jpg


Done lots of 12 hour days since but after about 8 or 10 I'm ready for a clean hotel room, a good meal, a hot shower and a comfy bed.
Amen.

Nice legacy pic Ferret!
 
I met then-record-holder Carl Reese in 2016 at the BMOA rally in Hamburg, NY. I was impressed but I never was interested in motorcycling as a grueling endurance sport. He suffered a failed rear Metzler Z8 Interact (haven't we all?) in the middle of the night somewhere in Nebraska I think. A local Harley dealer opened the shop and did him a solid and got him back on the road.

c9b97bcef7c2614d3323fc9d761d3878.jpg


707e9ec087eaac42a57ddb865bd6f933.jpg


6fbf13196ea6e74d4cfa7956cc27e770.jpg


Ms. Reese
0c1dfaac36ba22e58d640a8e2eed7ac8.jpg
 
The ferret_imp said:
Shoot in 1977 my wife and I rode straight home from Orlando Fla 942 miles 17 hours and change on our Vetter equipped KZ 1000. That was all the endurance riding I have cared to do. Was 94 degrees F when we left Orlando and 34 degrees F when we pulled into Cincinnati.

On the trip down to Florida

e71da8eae9f012165c9031e981000511.jpg


Done lots of 12 hour days since but after about 8 or 10 I'm ready for a clean hotel room, a good meal, a hot shower and a comfy bed.
____________________________________
Great story and picture. My first bike was a '76 KZ750 vertical twin which looked exactly like that bike until you counted the exhaust pipes. Great bikes and wonderful memories. We need another Craig Vetter.
 
That’s a cool story. In 2002, Gary Eagan was an entrant in my annual SaddleSore 1000 event. He finished the 1000-mile route in just over 13 hours (the average finish time was closer to 21 hours). Two years later, in 2004, he set the Guinness World Record by riding his Ducati Multistrada from Prudhoe Bay to Key West (7500 miles) in 96 hours without an auxiliary fuel cell (he lost it in a crash).

I’m all for LD riding but not when it involves blatant violation of speed limits. It’s certainly not impossible to complete a 1000/24 without exceeding speed limits.
 
Back
Top