First ride up the canyon

Great pics IWR. Was trying to pick a favorite and just couldn't. I first thought the first one with the great sign, then the one with the badge and the mountain in the back ground. Then the one......

Just outstanding stuff.
 
Great shots; great bike; great looking country.
 
That ticks all my boxes for motorcycle friendly roads: curves, hills, scenery, and little traffic. I am so anxious for the snow to go, so I can get back out there.
 
Great Pictures!

Have you been to any altitude yet? I just came from Colorado and thought I might make a trip out there, but wondered if the computer would adjust the fuel mixture for the up to 12,000 ft altitude?
 
Thread starter
offroadfx4_imp said:
Great Pictures!

Have you been to any altitude yet? I just came from Colorado and thought I might make a trip out there, but wondered if the computer would adjust the fuel mixture for the up to 12,000 ft altitude?
I haven't been up above 7,000 ft yet. I'm sure things should run fine though. I'll let you know if I make it up higher.

On a side not I'm not one who likes Black and White Photos but my Google Photo's Assistant had one made from my pictures that I actually liked. Makes it look like a retro picture
 
I'm sure a number of our members have been to high altitudes on their CBS and had no problems.
 
iwannaride_imp said:
offroadfx4_imp said:
Great Pictures!

Have you been to any altitude yet? I just came from Colorado and thought I might make a trip out there, but wondered if the computer would adjust the fuel mixture for the up to 12,000 ft altitude?
I haven't been up above 7,000 ft yet. I'm sure things should run fine though. I'll let you know if I make it up higher.

On a side not I'm not one who likes Black and White Photos but my Google Photo's Assistant had one made from my pictures that I actually liked. Makes it look like a retro picture


very cool
 
offroadfx4_imp said:
Great Pictures!

Have you been to any altitude yet? I just came from Colorado and thought I might make a trip out there, but wondered if the computer would adjust the fuel mixture for the up to 12,000 ft altitude?
Altitude is not a problem. I spent a week riding around Colorado and climbed passes up to 12,100 ft. with no issues.

Having crossed many of those same passes on old bikes with common slide carbs, the difference is like night and day.

At higher altitudes you'll notice that you don't have quite as much power due to the lower air density, but the CB11 still has plenty of reserve power for a comfortable ride.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
offroadfx4_imp said:
Great Pictures!

Have you been to any altitude yet? I just came from Colorado and thought I might make a trip out there, but wondered if the computer would adjust the fuel mixture for the up to 12,000 ft altitude?
Altitude is not a problem. I spent a week riding around Colorado and climbed passes up to 12,100 ft. with no issues.

Having crossed many of those same passes on old bikes with common slide carbs, the difference is like night and day.

At higher altitudes you'll notice that you don't have quite as much power due to the lower air density, but the CB11 still has plenty of reserve power for a comfortable ride.
Altitude is not a problem. I spent a week riding around Colorado and climbed passes up to 12,100 ft. with no issues.

Having crossed many of those same passes on old bikes with common slide carbs, the difference is like night and day.

At higher altitudes you'll notice that you don't have quite as much power due to the lower air density, but the CB11 still has plenty of reserve power for a comfortable ride.
Thanks for the info! Winding canyon and mountain roads, can't wait!

I'm a firm believer that altitude is the best way to over summer heat ;-)
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I'm sure a number of our members have been to high altitudes on their CBS and had no problems.
No problems. I live at 8000', frequently ride my CB over the Colorado high passes including Loveland (11,991') and Independence (12,095'), which is the highest paved road over the Continental Divide, and have ridden to the top of Mt. Evans (14,265'), of which the entrance station is 18 glorious curvy and scenic miles from my house. The bike works fine. Anyone planning a Colorado trip, or just passing through, is welcome to use my place as a home base. I have 4 spare bedrooms, plenty of off-street parking for trailers, etc., a secure garage, tools (as if you'll need them), compressed air, and would be more than thrilled to show you some incredible roads and scenic loops that the tourists have no clue about. Really.
 
LongRanger you may regret making me that offer lol. Riding some Colorado passes has been burning in my brain since last year. What is the best month for doing Rocky MT passes?
 
I'd be honored and graced by your presence. The high passes usually open by Memorial Day, but we've had some years where they don't open until July. Scenery-wise, the fall (September) is the best time to ride here, as long as you have some flexibility for dodging the occasional snowstorm. Summer is very nice too but rainy afternoons are not uncommon and temps at altitude can quickly drop into the 30's and 40's, which is bad if you're not prepared.

I awoke to 11" of new snow this morning, but we'll be in the 70's by Friday, so early spring (April / May) can be hit or miss. June tends to be unsettled, then July and August get really hot (and the mountains get crowded).
 
Hmmm wonder if we can make this happen. I'm off every summer, and spring, and winter, and fall lol.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I'd be honored and graced by your presence. The high passes usually open by Memorial Day, but we've had some years where they don't open until July. Scenery-wise, the fall (September) is the best time to ride here, as long as you have some flexibility for dodging the occasional snowstorm. Summer is very nice too but rainy afternoons are not uncommon and temps at altitude can quickly drop into the 30's and 40's, which is bad if you're not prepared.

I awoke to 11" of new snow this morning, but we'll be in the 70's by Friday, so early spring (April / May) can be hit or miss. June tends to be unsettled, then July and August get really hot (and the mountains get crowded).

Colorado is beautiful!

My wife and I just got back from a week at Keystone....we're too old to ski, but went in search of snow which we love! (tried to go last year and the flight got canceled due the blizzard in Denver ;-(
We even went up to Steamboat looking for snow but discovered the best snow was right next to us at Loveland Pass! We drove it at least 3 times.

The sign above is from traveling 6 West through there....told my wife I have to bring the CB1100 out here ;-)
The ferret_imp said:
Haha....I'm still teaching but near the end. I'm out June and July.

Like your one post referenced to....I've got the time, the health, ability and most important the wife's permission....I'm thinking we need to go while we can!
 
:idea: Hmmmm... I'm thinking of doing an IronButt ride to Grand Junction, CO and then taking my time working my way back east through Colorado. Maybe I need to coordinate the return trip with Ferret's trip.
 
Back
Top