First ride in forever

Guth_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Well, maybe not forever, but it pretty much felt that way. I figured out that I had not left city limits on the CB in over two years. In fact, other than two quick errands (one trip to the neighborhood hardware store last year and running the bike over to the local shop where I had the Metzelers installed a couple of weeks ago), I haven't ridden the CB at all.

Tomorrow was going to be riding day as my wife and I were planning a trip to the wine country in the S2000 today. But things did not go as planned thanks to a dead battery in my son's car (blocking the driveway). So after putting the battery on a charger and taking care of a few things around the house, I decided to salvage part of the day by going for a short ride. I figured that it would be a good way to dust off the cobwebs and get a feel for where my riding skills stood. Not that I really needed an excuse to go for a ride.

As a bonus, the weather was absolutely perfect (right around 70℉). I enjoyed a casual Sunday evening ride around town and out to Sauvie Island and back. Sauvie Island is bordered by the Columbia and Willamette rivers on it's eastern side and the Multnomah Channel on it's western side. It is the largest river island on the Columbia River and one of the largest in the United States. The island is know primarily for it wealth of produce (it has a lot of farms featuring U-pick operations) and it's wildlife (birds in particular). There are a lot of viewing stations located around the island not to mention more osprey nests that you can shake a stick at — the osprey have nabbed all of the sticks..

For me the island made for a quick & easy getaway to wear in the new tires and get a feel for just how rusty my skills had become. They were rusty all right, but not too bad. The CB100 was a pleasure to ride just as it's always been. Fortunately by that time I made my way back home with only 65 miles covered, I myself was feeling normal once again aboard the CB. It seems that I am finally "back" so to speak, and that in and of itself feels good. As has always been the case throughout my entire life — it doesn't take too much time aboard a motorcycle to put a smile upon my face. I almost forgot to take a photo, so these will have to do. Better than nuthin' as they say.

378562506cb151b14ae08067d5f43bf0.jpg


93bd4d126e836c8ad844470532bf121d.jpg
 
Awesome, Guth! Glad to see you're back to riding. The new tires help, I'm sure. Here you were on one side of Portland and I was on the other this evening. It's been a long time since I've been out to Sauvie Island. So I'll put that on the list for this summer.
 
Thread starter
Thanks pdedse. Due to it's location, Sauvie Island is always good for a decent drop in temperature. So when things are a bit toasty in Portland it makes for a quick 'n easy way to cool off, if only momentarily.
 
Good fo you boss. A CB ride is soothing to the soul.
 
Good for (we say it differently down here) you boss. A CB ride is soothing to the soul.
 
Guth- I lived in Portland in 77&78 , had some major family issues and put all my belongings in a self storage, with plans to return. Moved to Tennessee and never retrieved my things . My time there I enjoyed the outdoor life style of Oregonians,Mt Hood and the Columbia River Gorge.Portlands progressive city atmosphere was and still is my type of political agenda. Forty two years have passed and I still yearn for that forward thinking .
 
Siggy Javotnik_imp said:
Saw you out on the Historic Columbia River Highway yesterday, pdedse! Wife and I were on scooters going the other way. Nice bike!
I was out Sunday late afternoon / evening, and I do ride the Columbia River Highway frequently. But yesterday I was between Estacada and Molalla. Perhaps you saw yet another CB1100 on the road. Which, if true, would have a CB roaming all sides of Portlannd with Guth out there too.

Where did you spot the CB1100 exactly?
 
pdedse_imp said:
Siggy Javotnik_imp said:
Saw you out on the Historic Columbia River Highway yesterday, pdedse! Wife and I were on scooters going the other way. Nice bike!
I was out Sunday late afternoon / evening, and I do ride the Columbia River Highway frequently. But yesterday I was between Estacada and Molalla. Perhaps you saw yet another CB1100 on the road. Which, if true, would have a CB roaming all sides of Portlannd with Guth out there too.

Where did you spot the CB1100 exactly?
I was out Sunday late afternoon / evening, and I do ride the Columbia River Highway frequently. But yesterday I was between Estacada and Molalla. Perhaps you saw yet another CB1100 on the road. Which, if true, would have a CB roaming all sides of Portlannd with Guth out there too.

Where did you spot the CB1100 exactly?
Not far from the burned out husk of Shirley’s Tippy Canoe on Hwy 30!
 
Siggy Javotnik_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Siggy Javotnik_imp said:
Saw you out on the Historic Columbia River Highway yesterday, pdedse! Wife and I were on scooters going the other way. Nice bike!
I was out Sunday late afternoon / evening, and I do ride the Columbia River Highway frequently. But yesterday I was between Estacada and Molalla. Perhaps you saw yet another CB1100 on the road. Which, if true, would have a CB roaming all sides of Portlannd with Guth out there too.

Where did you spot the CB1100 exactly?
I was out Sunday late afternoon / evening, and I do ride the Columbia River Highway frequently. But yesterday I was between Estacada and Molalla. Perhaps you saw yet another CB1100 on the road. Which, if true, would have a CB roaming all sides of Portlannd with Guth out there too.

Where did you spot the CB1100 exactly?
Not far from the burned out husk of Shirley’s Tippy Canoe on Hwy 30!
Not far from the burned out husk of Shirley’s Tippy Canoe on Hwy 30!
I go by there all the time, but not yesterday, Sunday. What happened to the Tippy Canoe anyway, I mean, obviously burned down, but I missed the story.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Siggy Javotnik_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Siggy Javotnik_imp said:
Saw you out on the Historic Columbia River Highway yesterday, pdedse! Wife and I were on scooters going the other way. Nice bike!
I was out Sunday late afternoon / evening, and I do ride the Columbia River Highway frequently. But yesterday I was between Estacada and Molalla. Perhaps you saw yet another CB1100 on the road. Which, if true, would have a CB roaming all sides of Portlannd with Guth out there too.

Where did you spot the CB1100 exactly?
I was out Sunday late afternoon / evening, and I do ride the Columbia River Highway frequently. But yesterday I was between Estacada and Molalla. Perhaps you saw yet another CB1100 on the road. Which, if true, would have a CB roaming all sides of Portlannd with Guth out there too.

Where did you spot the CB1100 exactly?
Not far from the burned out husk of Shirley’s Tippy Canoe on Hwy 30!
Not far from the burned out husk of Shirley’s Tippy Canoe on Hwy 30!
I go by there all the time, but not yesterday, Sunday. What happened to the Tippy Canoe anyway, I mean, obviously burned down, but I missed the story.
Not far from the burned out husk of Shirley’s Tippy Canoe on Hwy 30!
I go by there all the time, but not yesterday, Sunday. What happened to the Tippy Canoe anyway, I mean, obviously burned down, but I missed the story.
Tippy Canoe details here: Investigators Are Calling the Fire that Destroyed Iconic Sandy River Restaurant Shirley’s Tippy Canoe “Suspicious”
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Good for (we say it differently down here) you boss. A CB ride is soothing to the soul.
:rofl:
obleo_imp said:
Guth- I lived in Portland in 77&78 , had some major family issues and put all my belongings in a self storage, with plans to return. Moved to Tennessee and never retrieved my things . My time there I enjoyed the outdoor life style of Oregonians,Mt Hood and the Columbia River Gorge.Portlands progressive city atmosphere was and still is my type of political agenda. Forty two years have passed and I still yearn for that forward thinking .
obleo, I won't get into the politics of this place because as you know, that's the way we roll around here (or don't roll around here as the case may be, lol). If you have not been back to Portland since '78 you would be shocked by how much things have changed (I got my first taste of Portland when visiting here back in 1982). While riding in the city itself these days feels like a real-life, real-time version of the arcade game "Frogger", once you manage to ride beyond the Urban Growth Boundary the number and variety of great roads to ride and places to visit within a even just a 100 mile radius remains mind-boggling.
pdedse_imp said:
Siggy Javotnik_imp said:
Saw you out on the Historic Columbia River Highway yesterday, pdedse! Wife and I were on scooters going the other way. Nice bike!
I was out Sunday late afternoon / evening, and I do ride the Columbia River Highway frequently. But yesterday I was between Estacada and Molalla. Perhaps you saw yet another CB1100 on the road. Which, if true, would have a CB roaming all sides of Portlannd with Guth out there too.

Where did you spot the CB1100 exactly?
I was out Sunday late afternoon / evening, and I do ride the Columbia River Highway frequently. But yesterday I was between Estacada and Molalla. Perhaps you saw yet another CB1100 on the road. Which, if true, would have a CB roaming all sides of Portlannd with Guth out there too.
pdedse, this wouldn't surprise me. Early on in the forum's history I reported a "CB1100 sighting in the wild". This occurred on a section of Hwy 30 that I just rode on this past Sunday. If my memory isn't playing games with me (I'm feeling too lazy to perform a forum search at this time), I'm pretty sure that the person riding the CB1100 I spotted was non other than Siggy himself. I've noted this many times now, but I've spotted so many other CB1100's around town since starting this forum that I've lost count as to just how many I've seen over the years.
redbirds_imp said:
Lovely scenery Guth. I must visit Oregon sometime.
There is no shortage of beautiful places to ride motorcycles out here. I'm hoping that this year I'll be posting a few more photos of some of those places.
Siggy Javotnik_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Siggy Javotnik_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Siggy Javotnik_imp said:
Saw you out on the Historic Columbia River Highway yesterday, pdedse! Wife and I were on scooters going the other way. Nice bike!
I was out Sunday late afternoon / evening, and I do ride the Columbia River Highway frequently. But yesterday I was between Estacada and Molalla. Perhaps you saw yet another CB1100 on the road. Which, if true, would have a CB roaming all sides of Portlannd with Guth out there too.

Where did you spot the CB1100 exactly?
I was out Sunday late afternoon / evening, and I do ride the Columbia River Highway frequently. But yesterday I was between Estacada and Molalla. Perhaps you saw yet another CB1100 on the road. Which, if true, would have a CB roaming all sides of Portlannd with Guth out there too.

Where did you spot the CB1100 exactly?
Not far from the burned out husk of Shirley’s Tippy Canoe on Hwy 30!
Not far from the burned out husk of Shirley’s Tippy Canoe on Hwy 30!
I go by there all the time, but not yesterday, Sunday. What happened to the Tippy Canoe anyway, I mean, obviously burned down, but I missed the story.
Not far from the burned out husk of Shirley’s Tippy Canoe on Hwy 30!
I go by there all the time, but not yesterday, Sunday. What happened to the Tippy Canoe anyway, I mean, obviously burned down, but I missed the story.
Tippy Canoe details here: Investigators Are Calling the Fire that Destroyed Iconic Sandy River Restaurant Shirley’s Tippy Canoe “Suspicious”
Tippy Canoe details here: Investigators Are Calling the Fire that Destroyed Iconic Sandy River Restaurant Shirley’s Tippy Canoe “Suspicious”
The last time I cruised past Shirley's I didn't even notice whether or not the sign was still standing. That stretch of Highway 30 contained not one, but two classic large neon roadside signs befitting of a highway sporting a historic designation: "Shirley's Tippy Canoe" with the animated (tippy) canoe, and "Tad's Chicken 'N Dumplins" with the heaping bowl of steaming Chicken & Dumplings (the actual servings at Tad's are almost as large as that appearing on the roadside sign.
 
Guth maybe I chose the wrong phrase , what I meant was the foresighted vision of the city to not allow suburban sprawl. Like Dallas , Houston and some other metropolitan cities. I can recall Beaverton declared a one year moratorium on new home construction in 78. If I’am not mistaken the Rose city had a pretty good mass transit system while I was there. I didn’t mean to stir up politics. I always remember good things about my time there. By the way I lived off of Division Street by the Five Corners,not far from the river.
 
Back
Top