First Oil change

Ltrypsin_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Couple of weeks ago I did the first oil change on my 2014 at 500 miles.
Followed Ferrets directions and all went well. Of course being in Florida my Honda dealer only had the 40W oil and not the 30W. I asked and they said that is all the use down here as it is so hot. No problem... Simple job.
Tonight I warm it up a start to go for a little ride and darn if it doesn't have a funky lower end rattle... Oul level is fine.... Doing a search I find the thread about this issue... Do I really need to drop the oil and get a 30W?? Seriously crazy.
 
I'm in Australia and I've never used anything other than 10W-40 and had no problems.
 
Ltrypsin_imp said:
Couple of weeks ago I did the first oil change on my 2014 at 500 miles.
Followed Ferrets directions and all went well. Of course being in Florida my Honda dealer only had the 40W oil and not the 30W. I asked and they said that is all the use down here as it is so hot. No problem... Simple job.
Tonight I warm it up a start to go for a little ride and darn if it doesn't have a funky lower end rattle... Oul level is fine.... Doing a search I find the thread about this issue... Do I really need to drop the oil and get a 30W?? Seriously crazy.
I'm in Houston. EXACT same story with me. Honda had the 10W40 full synthetic, I bought it. Had the low end rattle, saw the same threads here about this issue. I went to Honda, bought the 10W30 full synthetic, another filter, and changed it out.

For me, rattle went away. YMMV. This is the craziest thing, really, doesn't make sense. Again, YMMV.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Aaaarrggghhhh. Pass me the rum bottle.

Cheers
Sales opportunity?
 
Thread starter
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Aaaarrggghhhh. Pass me the rum bottle.

Cheers
Pterodactyl rum worked! Not sure it stopped the noise but After a bit of rum I didn't hear it anymore!:clap:
 
I have used 10-40 for over 70000kms. The dealer, doing first service, used it. Last month I rode in temperatures ranging from about 8degC to 35degC. It works. BUT, only last week, my bike developed a terrible rattle. It was my new key fob :).

Cheers, and enjoy the ride.
 
Weeelllllllll, people can poke fun at this noise that you are hearing but mine did the same. I attributed it to some kind of superior sound deadening technology that the honda oil possesses. bwahaahhaha, no really, i didn't change my oil back and my engine is fine and the extra noise seems to have, by some astrological reason, calmed itself. I'm getting ready to go back to synth and I'll let everybody know how it goes. I tend to use dino oil to break motors in (but that's another spicy thread entirely).
 
Thread starter
Add me to the list of going back to a 30W oil and the noise is gone..
Time to ride and not even try to fiquire this one out.
 
:rofl: darndest thing isn't it? Simply unexplainable.
 
Add me to the list of those going back to 30W with good results in less noise--- bike for me seemed to like the 30W
 
Did Baby's first oil change today. Probably the easiest thing to service I've seen in a long time. Put it up on my lift (I'm spoiled), slid the drain pan under the engine, removed the plug, who ever put the drain plug in should be fired never had a drain plug that loose. Go to remove the filter, just the opposite of the drain plug, had to use my strap wrench and lean on it to get the filter off. Put the new filter on, put the plug back it and fill it back up. Used a Chevron Techron bottle for a funnel with the bottom cut off, it will screw into the oil filler and it works sweet. Pour 1 Gal. of Honda 10W30 in and we are all good. Now it's adjust the chain time. A 1-1/16" socket and a 7/8" socket fit if you don't happen to have the metric size stuff. Lube the chain and we are done. Took it for a test ride and the backlash in the drive train is gone, chain didn't seem that sloppy.
 
ryanschillinger_imp said:
My filter was on so tight from the factory that the body actually goigedninto the mounting spot! I had a fun time getting it loosened up.
Same here. Mine was on so tight I didn't think I could ever get it loose, but the drain plug was not overly tight.
Many here had the same experience with the oil filter.
 
Back
Top