First Long Ride Discoveries

chandler_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Just got home from my first longish ride. Atlanta >Blue Ridge>Suches >rambled around >Atlanta ~250 miles total.
I left around 10am and got back just after 4pm. I had a great time. Here's what I discovered.
1. I need to take more breaks. I was having so much fun riding, that I didn't stop enough.
2. I need new gloves. After 30 minutes or so, these gloves get uncomfortable.
3. The USB adapter and cell phone mount I installed was a huge help.
4. Earplugs. I need to bring them next time.

I was thinking about also listing that the stock seat hurts, I need highway pegs, and cruise control. However, I think if I just stopped to take more breaks, these things wouldn't be big concerns.

I love this bike. It handles the curvy roads well and when I was worn out and wanted to take the quickest route home, it handled GA 400 well, doing 75 the whole way.
It was the perfect way to spend the day.


2013 Honda CB1100
 
What type of gloves do you wear?
 
Thanks for the review. I'm waiting not so patiently for Friday when I can pick up my new CB.

It is my belief, not a statistical fact, that distance riders often (as a population) and early in the ownership. I have been fortunate to have bought lightly used bikes with the seat already replaced. I have ridden two Corbins, and a Bill Mayer.

I will ride the CB1100 stock seat for a while, before making the upgrade, mostly because I will probably ride the ST long distance to make use of the luggage on it.
Jim
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
What type of gloves do you wear?

I'll have to check when I decide to get back up
38939594f56de46371823cc5cfa3bfde.png
. I believe they're too thick, which makes gripping the throttle for extended periods bothersome. I need to find some thinner gloves.


2013 Honda CB1100
I've been thinking about replacing the seat already. It's a little too tall for me anyway. I wish I could ride a few different seats before purchasing. A lot of people love the Corbin seats, but I haven't seen one that looks right to me. I'm not quite ready to totally sacrifice appearances for comfort.


2013 Honda CB1100
 
Thread starter
One other thing. I was burning up all day. I love my Olympia jacket, but it gets hot in the summer. I was thinking about taking the guarding out of the back in an effort to make it a little cooler. By the time I got home, I'd sweat through my jeans. Looked like I'd sat in a puddle.
Anyone have recommendations for jacket and pants you like? I need some that aren't too expensive.


2013 Honda CB1100
 
I mostly wear deerskin gloves. Soft, supple, warm when cool, not hot when moderately warm... Doubt there is much protection in them though.

They make mesh jaxkets and pants, and you may be able to find them on closeout or slightly used. IF not expect to pay $79-$199 for an armored jacket, and $120-$150 for the pants. Try NewEnough.com for both new, discounted leftovers and used gear.
 
LongRanger_imp said:

Of course you wear Deersports. Why do I say that? So do I. There is zero separation between what we ride, or now, what we wear. I bought my most recent pair in 2005. They probably have 60,000 miles on them by now and are still going strong.
"Pardon me. Would you have any Grey Poupon?" "But of course!" :thumbsup:

I'm way (way) behind you in miles (50k) and years (5) riding, but after three ill-fated attempts with well-reviewed "Transformers" gloves from Revzilla...Lee Parks' philosophy of reduction to essential function was convincing to me, and has been borne out in practical experience. The Deersports are exceptional motorcycle gloves in performance and value.
 
Stichill_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:

Of course you wear Deersports. Why do I say that? So do I. There is zero separation between what we ride, or now, what we wear. I bought my most recent pair in 2005. They probably have 60,000 miles on them by now and are still going strong.
"Pardon me. Would you have any Grey Poupon?" "But of course!" :thumbsup:

I'm way (way) behind you in miles (50k) and years (5) riding, but after three ill-fated attempts with well-reviewed "Transformers" gloves from Revzilla...Lee Parks' philosophy of reduction to essential function was convincing to me, and has been borne out in practical experience. The Deersports are exceptional motorcycle gloves in performance and value.
Oh crap, I lied. I have the DeerSports, not the DeerTours. Same idea but with a longer gauntlet.
 
Stand fast, LongRanger...DeerSports is what I'm wearing. Long gauntlets über alles! :beerchug:
DeerSports in action @ Death Valley!

14751cc4e8284a0745243cd58c9b502c.jpg
 
good comfortable gear is essential to long distance riding. If you leave early it can be cool, warming to hot late afternoon and cool again in the evening. During those 'frequent stops' I adjust clothing for the weather.

For hot weather I like my Joe Rocket modular jacket: Mesh with a removable outer shell and inner rain liner. I've had two sets, wore one out. For cooler weather and track days I like my Technic two piece leathers.

Back to distance riding. I do use the rain liner for lighter sprinkles I might ride out of into warm weather. If it's cold I wear rain gear over the protective gear to stay dry and warm. A few times I've been caught in the mountains and needed more warmth. A light down or synthetic fill vest packs small and is extremely warm under the jacket. nothing like cold wind down the neck to chill the whole body. I use a balaclava to keep my neck warm. Confession: I no longer ride when it is below freezing, but it can get pretty cold at night in the mountains.

Gloves: Hot weather I have deer skin fingerless gloves. Not much protection, but I hate sweaty hands. I like my Technic gauntlets for everything except very cold weather. For the cold I have a pair of leather waterproof choppers. (thumb and forefinger separate from the other three fingers).

Jim
 
Back
Top