First Flat

That's one of those things that is "counter intuitive", Max - you think that you just shouldn't do it, but why not? I've ridden MILES with a nail in my tyre, not able to get it repaired, yet frightened to pull it out 'cos I know the tyre will go flat!

My only observation is that the screw, being metal, won't have the "give" that a more sympathetic rubber plug would have. But if it works, it works. A high speed blow-out would be a concern so maybe no high speed? ;)
 
You're of course right, it completely depends on what, where, what size etc. and there is no substitute for a permanent repair but it may get you going again.

It's often the right idea at the right time that matters but someone might remember such a trick or even come up with his own addition, i drive around with strips, co2 cartridges etc. but also some of these screws because under the right circumstances ( and i was a bit surprised how well it did ) it works and if you're doing it quick enough there may be enough air in the tyre to proceed carefully.

And I'm also thinking of a way to use o ring material as a temporary stop measure, once home or some other suitable place you go to the next step, but in the meantime you're not stranded.

Appreciate your comment Bazbro.
 
I'm also encouraged by the fact that your repair is at the BOTTOM of a groove, suffering much less from "road hammer" and direct contact with the road surface. :)
 
I once had a car that collected a screw in the back wheel. Because I discovered it moments before I had to drive to the airport, I left it there. A kilometre or so from the airport, there was a clunk and the screw shot out of the wheel which promptly went flat.

But it did work for a while and the tyre didn't 'blow out' as such; just went flat very quickly.
 
offroadfx4_imp said:
Glad you're okay sounds like that was a scary feeling.

Makes me want to get the little compressor patch kit I've been looking at.

What are people using to replace those PR 3s mine will be due soon?
I just ordered a set from J&P Cycles. Not sure how long they will have them tho.
 
I put Angel GTs on mine. With a 100 miles on them I am loving them. We’ll see how they hold up over time and miles :)
 
max_imp said:
Once upon a time i had a soft car tyre, a small nail had sneaked into the rear wheel, i looked at it for a while and wondered ( as i do ) "what if i fill the hole with a woodscrew?".
So i put some silicone on a small countersunk screw and drove it in the tyre, that was two years ago and i use the same tyre and car all the time...........

I now carry some countersunk small screws, they don't take up a lot of space and if required are probably the fastest and easiest way to keep the air inside at least for a while, i will see if i can make a picture of the tyre involved.
EDIT;

here we go;
LOL

See post 4

http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php...ews&page=2
 
I went with Angle GT's on the 2014 - really nice. Road Pilot's are still made, but I think the 3's are old stock. Just get the newer number.

A buddy carries sheet metal screws for tire repairs.
 
max_imp said:
See?
Nice to have you back Doc!
Thanks, Max
I jumped back in about a month ago, but there just isn't much to challenge the gray matter, since the IACV issues were identified.
 
Thread starter
Flynrider_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
I'm in Erie, PA this week for a series of meetings with Erie Insurance. Tuesday's event (building a home for Habitat for Humanity) was canceled which left me with a free day to explore the shores of Lake Erie. I headed out around 9:30 am after having breakfast with a friend of mine from the Chicago area who just happened to be staying in the same hotel and who also had meeting with Erie this week. He's an actuary, though, so he had nerdy, intellectual, meetings probably of much greater import than my meetings. My planned route was supposed to take me east into New York where I would wander around for a couple hundred miles before returning for a 4:00 cocktail reception and dinner.

Route 5 clings fairly tightly to the lake shore all through Pennsylvania and it's a delightful 2-lane motorcycle road. Direct, but not straight. Light traffic (except through Erie) and nice views of Lake Erie on one side and vineyards on the other. If you're traveling through the area, I recommend it over the interstate or other US highways that bypass the city.

c1a7dd586af1c11bf7ef107c40b3ea83.jpg


About 20 miles out from "home", I spotted a guy and his ST1300 on the side of the road. I slowed and he signaled that he was 'OK'. I continued on into New York State.

2e8c45b6b403405a275950409f43d4a6.jpg


I came upon a blue Dodge minivan of the 1990s variety putzing along at below the posted speed limit of 55 and well below my internal speed limit of 65. As luck would have it, I came upon him at speed and at a perfect place to pass safely. Naturally, I accelerated into the opposing lane to execute the pass and it was then that the rear tire slid out. Not much, thankfully, but enough to startle me. It felt a little like a patch of ice but there was no ice and, an ice patch, I couldn't ride away from it. Telling the story takes much longer than the actual event. I was too far into the pass to let up, so I finished it then pulled immediately on to the shoulder. I'm sure the driver in the minivan thought I was a jerk.

I had noticed odd handling earlier in the ride, but I thought I had just squared off my aging Michelins on the mostly flat trip from Chicago. I knew before my bike had stopped that the rear tire was flat, though. I have never had a flat on the road before. I think my dealer found a screw in my stock tire once when they were replacing it with the PR3s, but I hadn't noticed it and it was still holding air. This was going to be an adventure, I thought. I'm 600 miles from home in a town about which I know nothing really. I have tire repair kit so I figured I was going to learn how to use it.

Just about the time I had unloaded the bike, Curt stopped his ST1300 in front of my bike and offered his assistance. He's from the area and was riding around on his day off. My luck under the circumstances could not have been better. Not only did he have experience fixing a flat, but he had a friend who owns a campground about 1/2 mile from us who had a compressor to fill the tire to proper pressure. Then, after getting me back to riding condition, he suggested that I ride to Forest Park Honda in Erie to have it patched correctly or replaced if needed. I agreed and asked him for directions, but he insisted on riding with me the 25 miles in the opposite direction to the dealer to make sure I arrived safely and to introduce me to John the service guy.

df2e4e90261409b6f19058b595588d91.jpg


c4a14e6fc21d64bdbf4c71ac9a1652b9.jpg


a5d0be158ae5c855430df905836098e4.jpg



John was working on the front end of an ATV, but stopped to look at the damage, give me the usual warnings that it's probably better to get a new tire, but that he doesn't have one stocked and that it would take an hour or so and $100 to patch. I agreed to his terms. Curt, who was late for lunch with his wife, said goodbye and refused my repeated offers to buy him and his wife lunch in exchange for his help.

I went to a new BBQ place for lunch ("new" because John said he hadn't been there yet). I returned to a repaired bike and John's confident assurance that the patch would hold up to 100mph and to ride as normal provided, of course, that my "normal" was less than 100mph.

504ab15f8a2a97a6ad7758b9ca21eee1.jpg


302e5fef4cf76dd393652a710c790a14.jpg


5d8a79cbb81695521195a239890d5ec7.jpg


The acid test will be tomorrow's ride home. So far, though, I could not have scripted a better first flat tire experience.

P.S. As I don't think PR3s are available anymore, what should I use as replacements?
Rocky Mountain ATV and Cycle's website says they have 5 rear and 5+ front PR3s. Pardon Our Interruption

I'll be replacing my rear PR3 sometime in the fall, with the front following soon after. If I can't find the PR3s, I'll probably go with the Bridgestone BT-45s in the stock sizes. I've run through 3 sets of them on the CB750 which is similar in weight and configuration to the CB1100. They've proved to be long lasting and plenty sticky in the curves, much like the PR3s. They're bias ply tires, but I doubt I'll notice the difference. The bonus is that you can get a set for around $100 less than the PR3s.
Rocky Mountain ATV and Cycle's website says they have 5 rear and 5+ front PR3s. Pardon Our Interruption

I'll be replacing my rear PR3 sometime in the fall, with the front following soon after. If I can't find the PR3s, I'll probably go with the Bridgestone BT-45s in the stock sizes. I've run through 3 sets of them on the CB750 which is similar in weight and configuration to the CB1100. They've proved to be long lasting and plenty sticky in the curves, much like the PR3s. They're bias ply tires, but I doubt I'll notice the difference. The bonus is that you can get a set for around $100 less than the PR3s.



Thanks for the info, Flynrider. It doesn’t look like they have the front PR3 in stock in the right size. I may look at the Bridgestones or surf around here to see what others are doing.
 
This is the one bummer with the 2017s... with the spoked rims, they presumably have tube tires (have not looked closely at mine to confirm). If so, roadside tire plug not helpful. I just count on good luck. (!)
 
Thread starter
Ordered 2 sets of PR3s. They couldn’t verify the mfg date, but if they were made within the last 5 years (probably are) I should be Michelin-shod until early 2021.
 
Thread starter
Bike Bandit. Thanks to offroadfx4's research. Now, I am not at all convinced yet that the tires I ordered will be the tires that are delivered, so I advise waiting until I receive them before clamoring to order them. The rears are supposed to be delivered today. The fronts are scheduled for Friday, 8/2. fingers crossed.
 
Thread starter
Rear tires came in. Looks like late-2018 mfg dates for both and both in the correct size. I hope I have equally good luck with the fronts.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
:thumbsup:

I went for the first reasonable ride on the Angel GT's I've just fitted and like them.
 
so Sea, did you get the fronts ok?
 
Back
Top