Finally sat on a CB1100--foot controls?

Nark_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Finally got to sit on a CB1100 today and I loved it. I did notice that the foot controls seemed a little cramped for me, even though I'm only 5'10. Has anyone moved them forward a little or put any aftermarket, adjustable foot controls on?

Also, since I'm looking for a black one, I've contacted about 12 dealerships in the Northeast and none can give me a definitive answer on the bike's return or in what colors. They all want to buy red and get it painted now.

I thought these dealers would be able to get better intel from Honda.
 
Nark_imp said:
Finally got to sit on a CB1100 today and I loved it. I did notice that the foot controls seemed a little cramped for me, even though I'm only 5'10. Has anyone moved them forward a little or put any aftermarket, adjustable foot controls on?

Also, since I'm looking for a black one, I've contacted about 12 dealerships in the Northeast and none can give me a definitive answer on the bike's return or in what colors. They all want to buy red and get it painted now.

I thought these dealers would be able to get better intel from Honda.
you can get a taller seat if it is a bit cramped - black is intimidating, white is protective, red is darn sexy
 
Nark, you've asked some questions that have been knocked around here for a while. I too am waiting to find out if 2014 will bring a black bike next season. If you find an answer, gobs of us will want to hear it.

As far as the foot controls being cramped, to me it's just that they're too far back. Whatever happened to the "user friendly" designs of the 70's? My friend is working on moving his forward. FWIW
 
I find them perfect between forward and rearward, but a bit high. Lower pegs or higher seat would be better. In my opinion they are in the same location as the 70's bikes. But I also like red so there you go. :)
 
Rboe_imp said:
I find them perfect between forward and rearward, but a bit high. Lower pegs or higher seat would be better. In my opinion they are in the same location as the 70's bikes. But I also like red so there you go. :)
I checked some photos of some 70's bikes and all of the ones I saw are a little farther forward. It's the "crotch rocket" influence. But you are right, they are too high also (another crotch rocket influence). All foot controls should be like the Suzuki TU250X. It's a retro bike that is most like a 70's bikes. Trouble is, most people don't remember. If you want to see perfectly placed foot controls, check out the old CB175.
 
Buffalohead_imp said:
Nark, you've asked some questions that have been knocked around here for a while. I too am waiting to find out if 2014 will bring a black bike next season. If you find an answer, gobs of us will want to hear it.

As far as the foot controls being cramped, to me it's just that they're too far back. Whatever happened to the "user friendly" designs of the 70's? My friend is working on moving his forward. FWIW
I am from Germany, so maybe the Honda market in the U.S. is different ... but ... is the black CB 1100 nor available (anymore) there?
 
All the US got was red, and I think Canada white
 
The ferret_imp said:
All the US got was red, and I think Canada white
Oh wow, strange...
My German dealer told me that in the beginning (spring 2013) all CB 1100 were shipped in red only; white and black came later during summer but mainly in homeopathic doses. So my black has some kind of rarity value. :)
Maybe Honda got an unbeatable price for a big pot of red color from their chemical supplier...
 
So you buy silascopathic's tank for $400 and get it painted any color you want. It's the only thing on the bike that is red.
 
Buffalohead_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
I find them perfect between forward and rearward, but a bit high. Lower pegs or higher seat would be better. In my opinion they are in the same location as the 70's bikes. But I also like red so there you go. :)
I checked some photos of some 70's bikes and all of the ones I saw are a little farther forward. It's the "crotch rocket" influence. But you are right, they are too high also (another crotch rocket influence). All foot controls should be like the Suzuki TU250X. It's a retro bike that is most like a 70's bikes. Trouble is, most people don't remember. If you want to see perfectly placed foot controls, check out the old CB175.
I checked some photos of some 70's bikes and all of the ones I saw are a little farther forward. It's the "crotch rocket" influence. But you are right, they are too high also (another crotch rocket influence). All foot controls should be like the Suzuki TU250X. It's a retro bike that is most like a 70's bikes. Trouble is, most people don't remember. If you want to see perfectly placed foot controls, check out the old CB175.
I'm going from memory, but also from my 1973 CB350F sitting next to my CB1100. Perhaps it's just the 350..... :)
 
Thread starter
Yes, I had a 71 CB750 and the controls were further forward. I feel like I only need an inch or two.

Someone at Honda, whether it be in North America or Japan, has the answer to our question at this very moment but when you speak to the dealerships, they act as if Honda is if it's a big mystery.

I don't like the color red, but every motorcycle in the world should come in black.
 
Nark_imp said:
Yes, I had a 71 CB750 and the controls were further forward. I feel like I only need an inch or two.

Someone at Honda, whether it be in North America or Japan, has the answer to our question at this very moment but when you speak to the dealerships, they act as if Honda is if it's a big mystery.

I don't like the color red, but every motorcycle in the world should come in black.
I don't like Ferrari or Ducati red, but CB1100 candy red is darn sexy. I like black too, not all shade of black.
 
I'm 6' tall and I find the placement of the foot pegs perfect. Sport bikes have them set quit a bit further back and _WAY_ higher. Honda does have this bike listed under the "sport" category, so it makes sense that the seating triangle would be a little sportier than say a cruiser triangle.

BTW, based on what I've read/seen, I don't think the CB1100 is coming back for 2014 in the U.S. It's not on their site (everything else is), and it wasn't mentioned in the "returning models" stuff at the EICMA show. I have found Honda to be pretty spot-on with their website. By now, everything that's coming out the next model year is always on there by now. Which also means the VFR1200 isn't coming to the U.S. this year, either.
 
I must admit that I do not know how the motorcycle market in the U.S. works, but is it really possible that Honda ships a model just for one year and then discontinues it? :huh:
I understand that Honda may consider thorroughly if a model is shipped at all to the U.S. market, but I assume that if they do so they keep it for some years on the market and not recall it after only one year.
 
83 CB 1100 F was a single year model in the US....but most model get at least 2 years.
 
In Germany, check out the VT 1300 CX aka "Fury" - introduced in 2010 and even though there are still brand new bikes around I think it was a one year only model.
 
Yeah, the Honda Elite 110 scooter was here for 2010 only.

And now no ST1300? Just when I was thinking of maybe getting the CB a mate.
 
Well, I understand the Honda takes a model from the market when it is not well sold or not sold at all. But as far as I understood, the CB 1100 is well sold, right?
 
Back
Top