Finally picked up my DLX

elemenopi_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
2.5 hour drive from northern NJ to Albany, NY. Luckily it wasn't too cold (although my fingertips still got a bit numb). My buddy who was nice enough to give me a ride at 7am took some shots from his car.

My only complaint - I'm 5'5" and my feet aren't flat on the ground. I just ordered the K&H Low seat from Samurider, which should bring me down to a 30" seat height (stock is 31.3 or something). I also plan on getting rid of the fender, new bars, bar end mirrors and painting the tank/side panels charcoal or gunmetal gray. All in due time...

 
Nice congrats! So your first ride home was 2 1/2 hours? Certainly gave you time to get an impression. What did you think?

btw I can't flat foot it either.
 
Congrats!

Honda also has a low seat and Samurider can sell you that. May be moot as you already ordered the K&H.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Nice congrats! So your first ride home was 2 1/2 hours? Certainly gave you time to get an impression. What did you think?

btw I can't flat foot it either.
Everything that I've read about the bike is true. Incredibly solid, stable machine, but nimble when it needs to be. Just the right amount of hp and torque. It is REALLY heavy. I gotta take some weight off of it because I was having trouble maneuvering it for when I wanted to park. Being flat-footed should help a bit for stability. Hopefully the mods I make during the season will cut about 20 pounds.

I know there are a zillion threads on this but does anyone have a reco for slip ons that are lighter than the stock pipes?
 
...I know there are a zillion threads on this but does anyone have a reco for slip ons that are lighter than the stock pipes?

Yeah, I think all of them! LOL
 
actually the stock mufflers are not that heavy and for the deluxe only Overracing makes a set of slip ons (Rebel 73 has a pair) which will give you more noise. I wonder if he weighed them prior to installation. I know when we weighed the stock pipe and a staintune for the single pipe 2013's there was like 3 1/2# difference.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Congrats!

Honda also has a low seat and Samurider can sell you that. May be moot as you already ordered the K&H.
Yup already ordered and paid for. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say.
 
I would live with the low seat for a while before deciding on any other mods. The CB is such a stable plat form, simply getting your feet down better may be all you need.
 
Congrats and enjoy your bike. I think, you're the first lady on her own CB here in this forum.
 
We've actually had 3 others if memory serves me Django, but for some reason the women don't seem to post much
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
I would live with the low seat for a while before deciding on any other mods. The CB is such a stable plat form, simply getting your feet down better may be all you need.
I plan on ordering the RYUJIN fender eliminator. I absolutely hate the fender. It's one of the things I knew I wanted to change as soon as I saw the bike. I like the idea of a classic look but it just looks clunky with that giant fender. I like things compact.
 
Congrats on finally picking up your beautiful bike!
I'm 5'5" also, 29" inseam.
I know what you mean about having to prop up the bike on your toes.
It's just one of those things we 5'5" folks learn to live with.

When I first got mine, the original owner rotated the handlebar back a little, and the rear spring preload was set in the middle (#3 of 5), and the fork preload adjuster was set in the middle range as well (w/ 2 lines of the adjustment post showing above the top surface of the fork cap). After riding the bike for a week, it was clear to me that the forks felt too harsh when going over bumps.

I weigh 145-150 lbs.
IF your CB feels harsh like that of mine, here's something that can be done for free.

I backed out my fork spring preloaders all the way out (4 lines showing) and the rear spring preload ring positioned on the first, or lowest setting to allow the rear spring to lengthen all the way out.
by doing this, not only has my suspension softened up when hitting those irregular bumps on the road, but once I'm seated, the bike did lower just a tad closer to the ground (1/2", maybe? just guessing). I'm still on my toes, but now it's mid-toes, not tip-toes.
Also noticed you have a Sena 20S comm attached to your helmet. Nice!
I've owned mine for over a yr now...still haven't learned all the features
built into that tiny little device.

That little windscreen...it's a Fly windscreen, right? Looks really good on the bike. Doesn't change the classic looks of the bike at all. I just may have to get one.
 
Beautiful bike. Heated gloves or grip heaters make those chilly rides easier to deal with.

I have yet to find a bike that I cannot flat foot but I pay for it on the other end having trouble finding a bike that I can fit long legs onto comfortably.

I know I've seen posts on small things that helped lower the bike a bit like moving the fork tubes up in the triple tree and using rear shocks from a Bonneville or something like that.
 
Thread starter
jedd_imp said:
Congrats on finally picking up your beautiful bike!
I'm 5'5" also, 29" inseam.
I know what you mean about having to prop up the bike on your toes.
It's just one of those things we 5'5" folks learn to live with.

When I first got mine, the original owner rotated the handlebar back a little, and the rear spring preload was set in the middle (#3 of 5), and the fork preload adjuster was set in the middle range as well (w/ 2 lines of the adjustment post showing above the top surface of the fork cap). After riding the bike for a week, it was clear to me that the forks felt too harsh when going over bumps.

I weigh 145-150 lbs.
IF your CB feels harsh like that of mine, here's something that can be done for free.

I backed out my fork spring preloaders all the way out (4 lines showing) and the rear spring preload ring positioned on the first, or lowest setting to allow the rear spring to lengthen all the way out.
by doing this, not only has my suspension softened up when hitting those irregular bumps on the road, but once I'm seated, the bike did lower just a tad closer to the ground (1/2", maybe? just guessing). I'm still on my toes, but now it's mid-toes, not tip-toes.
Also noticed you have a Sena 20S comm attached to your helmet. Nice!
I've owned mine for over a yr now...still haven't learned all the features
built into that tiny little device.

That little windscreen...it's a Fly windscreen, right? Looks really good on the bike. Doesn't change the classic looks of the bike at all. I just may have to get one.
Forks feel fine for me, but then again I'm very careful when going over bumps because, well, new bike. I only weigh about 120 so perhaps it's the weight discrepancy.

Yeah the Sena is awesome - great audio quality. Still have no idea how it works. I can listen to music and hear my google maps, so that's all I care about.
kennyw_imp said:
Beautiful bike. Heated gloves or grip heaters make those chilly rides easier to deal with.

I have yet to find a bike that I cannot flat foot but I pay for it on the other end having trouble finding a bike that I can fit long legs onto comfortably.

I know I've seen posts on small things that helped lower the bike a bit like moving the fork tubes up in the triple tree and using rear shocks from a Bonneville or something like that.
I don't really want to mess with the suspension. I really like how the bike rides right now, hence lots of expensive Japanese accessories :)
jedd_imp said:
Congrats on finally picking up your beautiful bike!
I'm 5'5" also, 29" inseam.
I know what you mean about having to prop up the bike on your toes.
It's just one of those things we 5'5" folks learn to live with.

When I first got mine, the original owner rotated the handlebar back a little, and the rear spring preload was set in the middle (#3 of 5), and the fork preload adjuster was set in the middle range as well (w/ 2 lines of the adjustment post showing above the top surface of the fork cap). After riding the bike for a week, it was clear to me that the forks felt too harsh when going over bumps.

I weigh 145-150 lbs.
IF your CB feels harsh like that of mine, here's something that can be done for free.

I backed out my fork spring preloaders all the way out (4 lines showing) and the rear spring preload ring positioned on the first, or lowest setting to allow the rear spring to lengthen all the way out.
by doing this, not only has my suspension softened up when hitting those irregular bumps on the road, but once I'm seated, the bike did lower just a tad closer to the ground (1/2", maybe? just guessing). I'm still on my toes, but now it's mid-toes, not tip-toes.
Also noticed you have a Sena 20S comm attached to your helmet. Nice!
I've owned mine for over a yr now...still haven't learned all the features
built into that tiny little device.

That little windscreen...it's a Fly windscreen, right? Looks really good on the bike. Doesn't change the classic looks of the bike at all. I just may have to get one.
i actually planned on taking off the fly screen! do you want it?
 
LMNOP,

Keep in mind that the headlight mounting brackets are part of the Dart screen (or at least come with it for mounting). The originals are different and you will have to acquire them. Or someone will have to acquire Dart ones :)
 
Popgun I think all she would need is the 2 headlight mounting bolts wouldn't she?

The dart screen for the DLX is different than for a 13
 
Well, I would say that's all she would need. And the Dart brackets look pretty cool to me. But whoever she gives it to will need to get some Dart brackets to fit it on the bike properly.
 
the dart bracket replace the original ears I suppose? best to swap somebody out off season I would think.
 
Back
Top