Finally got one! (after 8 years)

willsmith_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Well I think i can claim the record for the most number of years between joining the forum (05-04-2013) and when purchasing a Honda CB1100 (10-17-21)-- eight! I used to ride a CB 250, then had nothing at all for 7 years, until yesterday...

Yesterday, I finally did it. Found a great deal on Facebook Marketplace here in Atlanta GA, met up wth the guy and paid 5k for a gently used 2014 black standard CB1100 with 8k miles! Its got some nice aftermarket parts such as the Sato racing rear set, OEM Heated grips, and T. rex engine guards. Condition is near perfect. And to celebrate, i just bought the knurled oil cap from Greg on this forum.

I look forward to meeting up with you in real life to ride. Thank you for all of the contributions and advice over the years!
 
willsmith' pid='307985' dateline='1634570807 said:
Well I think i can claim the record for the most number of years between joining

_________________________________________

Congratulations! Beautiful bike. Well worth waiting for. Thanks for sharing this great photo, too.
 
willsmith_imp said:
Well I think i can claim the record for the most number of years between joining the forum (05-04-2013) and when purchasing a Honda CB1100 (10-17-21)-- eight! I used to ride a CB 250, then had nothing at all for 7 years, until yesterday...

Yesterday, I finally did it. Found a great deal on Facebook Marketplace here in Atlanta GA, met up wth the guy and paid 5k for a gently used 2014 black standard CB1100 with 8k miles! Its got some nice aftermarket parts such as the Sato racing rear set, OEM Heated grips, and T. rex engine guards. Condition is near perfect. And to celebrate, i just bought the knurled oil cap from Greg on this forum.

I look forward to meeting up with you in real life to ride. Thank you for all of the contributions and advice over the years!
Youre going to get a big opportunity on August 28, 2022. the Eastern CB1100 forum rally is to be held in Maggie Valley NC.
 
willsmith_imp said:
Well I think i can claim the record for the most number of years between joining the forum (05-04-2013) and when purchasing a Honda CB1100 (10-17-21)-- eight! I used to ride a CB 250, then had nothing at all for 7 years, until yesterday...

Yesterday, I finally did it. Found a great deal on Facebook Marketplace here in Atlanta GA, met up wth the guy and paid 5k for a gently used 2014 black standard CB1100 with 8k miles! Its got some nice aftermarket parts such as the Sato racing rear set, OEM Heated grips, and T. rex engine guards. Condition is near perfect. And to celebrate, i just bought the knurled oil cap from Greg on this forum.

I look forward to meeting up with you in real life to ride. Thank you for all of the contributions and advice over the years!
That's pretty cool... I think my join date to purchase was about 3 years, but 8 is great! Hope you enjoy your '14 Standard Beauty!
 
Congrats Will! Nice bike.
 
Nice and congrats. That's a long time to anticipate. Hope it's worth it lol
 
Congratulations, Will. Hope you enjoy it.
 
Thread starter
Thanks everyone. Ok I have some first impressions to share, in relation to my CB 250 nighthawk experiences:

500 lb vs 300 lb is significant when walking the bike around manually but not when riding. the narrow tank and close handlebars feel similar in maneuverability when riding.

the construction quality is higher (gauges, assembly fit/finish, part thickness, but maybe some of this is attributable to power difference

power difference. obviously the acceleration is incomparable. with the 250 i basically had the throttle fully open on accelerations. most notably, on a 15 mile interstate ride yesterday i did not feel like the 1100's engine was going to explode like on the 250, so i felt less anxiety and vulnerability.

seating position very similar, accessibility of controls, including little features like the helmet lock are similar and easy

the visual impression is significantly different. the 250 has a lot of space around the engine where you can see clear through the bike to the other side. the 1100 engine is bulky and muscular in relation. if fills the space in width and length. seems longer and higher and wider all around but maybe thats just emotional

maintenance might be just a little more complex but not much. 250 only had gas and oil... mechanical clutch, brakes.... 1100 still air cooled, but now add 3 hydraulic reservoirs, replaceable oil filter,..... ?

riding 2 up is not a problem.... the 250 would really strain accelerating and near top speed with 2 people, but 1100 seems to not even notice.

id appreciate your thoughts!
 
Maintenance is easy on this bike. Change the brake and clutch fluids every 2 years and adjust the chain when needed. And the bike is a tad picky about chain adjustment.

Changing the oil and filter is so easy even Ferret can do it :)

The big pain will be adjusting the valves. Checking them- not so bad. Adjusting—the cams have to come out.
 
Just letting the Padawan get used to his new ride PB :)
 
Pace yourself, now you need a 2nd one. Probably red. :D

Dang. I have yet to change the clutch and brake fluids. :P I really suck at that bit.
 
Thanks for the reminder. I need to polish the balls on the ends of my clutch and brake levers. Nothing better than smooth, polished balls.
 
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Thanks for the reminder. I need to polish the balls on the ends of my clutch and brake levers. Nothing better than smooth, polished balls.

4137d29c41c8f39e6872d6d19bc5d1b8.gif



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Thanks for the reminder. I need to polish the balls on the ends of my clutch and brake levers. Nothing better than smooth, polished balls.

4137d29c41c8f39e6872d6d19bc5d1b8.gif



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

79ff2b58672968e862d8ae7b66e97756.gif



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lol - Almost looks like RLETs were just installed.
 
Back
Top