Ferret's slowing down.

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
I have ridden almost daily since 1965 and have ridden my motorcycles to 42 states, 2 provinces in Canada, and 5 countries in Europe. Hit most of the popular motorcycle roads and destinations, (and many of the unpopular ones lol). I still needed 6 states to complete the lower 48. 2 in the plains, and 4 of them on the east coast. I had planned on hitting all 6 this year on two trips. One to North & South Dakota, and one to the east coast. With my wife unable to ride long distances any more, and with this colitis I developed 2 years ago and the arthritis that developed in my throttle hand 6 months ago and the 2 bad knees that have been bad for awhile, I'm guessing my days of two week motorcycle trips are over. It was a great run...no.... it was an awesome run!

Anyhow, last week my wife and I decided to take the car and go hit the east coast states I have not ridden in (I know not the same but we do what we can do).
We took St Rt 50 from home over to Ocean City, Maryland then turned north hitting Delaware, New Jersey, Connecticut and Rhode Island, the 4 states I needed on the coast (along with a few others I had already ridden in...West Virginia, Maryland, New York, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania). BTW we drove thru New York City, across the George Washington Bridge, across the Bronx and New Jersey turnpikes and I got to say I will NEVER go that way again...car or motorcycle!!!!. Good night what a nightmare and garbage dump to boot imo. On our way back from RI, thru New York near Albany it was open, clean and gorgeous, but I knew that as I had ridden my bike in that area before when Di and I rode to Bar Harbor, Maine 9 years ago.

In my hunting days I had driven through North and South Dakota on my way to hunt black bear in Canada so with this trip I have BEEN IN all 48 lower states (also been to Alaska Caribou hunting), so the only state I need to have BEEN in all 50 now is Hawaii.

I really, really wanted to do the lower 48 by motorcycle, but it just wasn't to be. I had offers from three great friends (fellow CB1100 forum members) to tow my bike close to each state and then ride thru the states with me, and although the offer touched my heart beyond measure, and will forever be appreciated, that is just not my style. I am (or was) a long distance rider to my core. So it's either ride...or pass. Thanks anyway guys! You have no idea how much the offer meant to me.

Anyhow I am back home now,with the plan to ride short local rides while dealing with the doctors to see if they can get me road worthy again. I have my yearly Men's Fall Trip coming up in a few months with my son and brother, my son's father in law and a nephew, and a rally or two (incl the CB rally in W. Va) that will depend on if I think I am able to make the rides. We shall see. I still have my hotel reservation for the CB rally and have not missed one yet.

My goal has always been to ride until I am 70, I've said that many times before. I have 11 months to go. I think I can make it but not in the style I am used to. One day at a time fellas. One day at a time.

That's all....I'm going for a short ride now.
 
Well, that a bummer that is!! You certainly covered a lot of territory during the good years. I'm impressed!
Let's hope modern medicine can improve things for you.
You're goal is 70 so, since I'm already past 80, I guess I'll make mine 90 :rofl:
 
Ferret, you've got a '14 CB1100 DLX sitting in my garage in Evergreen, Colorado, to use at your discretion, whenever you want. It doesn't have RLETs but it does have a full tank of gas. Fly (or drive) out here anytime you like and help yourself to it. There are a lot of great day rides in the area.
 
Sorry to hear that you will miss some of your trips. You never know, you may bounce back and get these things done. Positive mental attitude and all....

Through my short time here on the forum and reading your posts there has always been a thought in the back of my head that you could perhaps be a slave (harsh word but couldn't come up with another for the time being) to riding? Quite obviously your passion for riding is tremendous, but I always wonder if one of the reasons you ride like you do because it is expected of you, whether from forum members, wife, yourself, that that is just what you do. You ride. Back when I was a bartender and had plenty of $ and time I played A LOT of golf. 4-5 times a week and I enjoyed it. If I had a slow week and only played a couple of times people would comment, "Wow, just twice this week?" Later when looking back at those years I can't help but wonder was I doing all this for me or was it just something I always did? Like somehow it was forced from time to time instead of really enjoying it for my passion of it.

Perhaps you will enjoy a little more time for your tea without having to bundle up to go ride 25 miles in freezing temperatures. Some extra time to watch the birds in the yard. Some more S2000 time.

Life is funny

Oh wait, Guth has the S2000? Maybe pick up a Miata or S2000 then?
 
Sparky has decided she's not safe on two wheels anymore and her CB1100 is up for sale. A severe neck injury from an auto accident 30 years ago led to surgery in 2009 and now arthritis in the hands and shoulder have diminished her confidence. I also am feeling like my riding days are numbered but I am keeping my CB for now. A triked Gold Wing may be in future as a way to us keep riding together.

Giving up my traditional bows after shoulder surgery a few years ago was one of the toughest times for me. I was obsessed with the sport and shot stumps and pine cones on my property almost daily. I came to grips with the loss and sold all my bows except two that are hung on the wall for old times sake.

I know my Creator will give me the grace to take life's changes in stride and savor all the splendid times of days past.

A Miata or S2000 might be just the ticket.
 
Ferret, this is a tough read, it bring reality that us baby boomers that we are aging and facing these kind of decisions. I am also dealing with Arthritis that probably will end my ability to ride .... someday. Like you, I will keep riding now, one day at a time.
When I introduced myself to this forum, I said I was a baby boomer living a dream and that is still true.
 
Getting old sucks. Ride on while you can, Ferret. Even the little rides, particularly in the country where there's no traffic to fight with are good for the spirit. At least in my opinion.
 
That's bloody bad luck, Ferret.

I'm in a sort of similar position myself. Been riding since '64, ridden in most countries in Western Europe, ridden quite a bit in USA and even into Canada (for a day!). But approaching a replacement hip operation, I had to stop riding my R100R BMW 18 months ago, and now I'm finding it really difficult to even PUSH my new CB1100 around!

Most of my trips have been longer tours/holidays, not just short day rides but I think that's over now. At 73 this year it's near the end I think...

Having seen for years, those adverts "Bike for sale, ill-health...". I think I'm pretty close to having just a few rides on the CB and Beemer and then calling it quits. I'm lucky I have my Dad's BSA C15T trials to potter about on eventually. It's been a great ride while it lasted - weeks spent for many years on the Isle of Man for TT week, starting in 1965, rides to Germany for BMWs 75th Anniversary, Holland, France, Spain and even up the Rock of Gibraltar! California, Colorado, Montana and more...

But no more. Short rides round the cute Devon lanes now. Up onto the Moors. Along the coast a little bit. And maybe on the trailer to France for some gentle Alps rides. And then... that's it. :(
 
Thread starter
Rocky I really hope you make 90 in good health. That is so awesome.

Thanks LR.

Yea I don't know Bheezy, I wonder too sometimes, then again I see golfers and joggers out the in the rain and cold and know they have the same mental issues I have lol.

Sad news about Sparky (and you too birds). BTW went bird watching at 2 wildlife refuges on the trip and saw lots of cool birds. The one in Dover Mass was fantastic.

Suhawk, getting older takes it's toll. No doubt about that, and many CB 1100 owners are in or approaching the same age category where these issues creep up. Hope you get to ride many days more.

Cormanus...yes it does and I intend to do exactly that.

Bazbro..so sad to read that, but it's sounds like it has been a fantastic ride for you as well. We have to be thankful for the time/miles and rides we did have.

Got in a nice ride today, only 38 miles but about 160 curves lol. The arthritis makes it hard to grip the throttle and then even harder to un-grip and grab the front brake lever. Also makes it hard to hold my thermos, open a jar of pickles, grip a steering wheel (so the Miata won't work.. and I doubt a Can Am would be in my future either lol) etc. My hand was stiff and painful driving the car to the east coast. This is the hand I smashed in a motorcycle wreck in 1968. it's apparently come back to haunt me. If it was the other hand I could pick up a DCT bike. As it is, it makes it kind of hard to ride. Been playing with one of those palm gizmos and that helps some (but makes it hard to get off the gas in some situations)

Talked to the Gastroenterologist this afternoon. He is going to try me on a different medication for 30 days and see if there is any improvement in that area. Also have an appt with the Ortho Doc next week about my knees. LOL
 
Ferret, your appreciation for the blessings life has given you helps put the situation into perspective. It stinks to cut back on riding, but you can look back on a riding and hunting and family life lived fully...hopefully all the great memories take away a bit of the sting.

dbarkdoll_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
The Can Am is calling you Ferret. Don't give in.
Ferret would never. :dodgy:
Ferret would never. :dodgy:
If I couldn't ride a motorcycle, I'd see if I could still pilot a big 2-wheeled scooter. If that was an iffy proposition (knees, etc.) then I'd give the Piaggio MP3 500 Sport a whirl. If that didn't work out, I'd try out the [url=https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/ryker/recreational.html]Can-Am Ryker.




There are other approaches as well. The [url=https://www.imz-ural.com/gear-up]Ural Gear Up with 4 speeds plus reverse comes to mind.

And finally, the car that thinks it's a motorcycle: the [url=https://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/3-wheeler/]Morgan 3 Wheeler with a 2000cc S&S V-Twin mated to a Mazda 5-speed.



 
Mickey, my dad felt about golf the way that you feel about riding, I think. He used to walk 18 holes a couple of times a week. When that got too much for him, he played 9. After a while, though, he couldn't walk 9 holes very well, either. He was a member of a very small country club (just 9 holes and practically a shed for a clubhouse) that was close to our house. When 9 holes was too much for him, he'd go out and play a couple of holes in the early morning, come home for breakfast, then play a couple more holes around lunch time, maybe look for lost balls in the creek next to the 3rd fairway, and come home. He seemed to enjoy those short outings in a different way than when he played 18-hole rounds, but not in a lesser way. He was still golfing and I would argue, golfing in the spirit of the origins of the game.

You are fortunate enough to live close to some great riding areas. Sure you may not be able to get out for "18" anymore, but you can still get out for a couple of holes before breakfast and, maybe with a DCT bike, you can get "9" in once in awhile, too.

Hope the medicos can relieve some of your symptoms.

Also, I think Cheryl and I may swing down your way for a weekend. If you're up for it, we'd love to go for a short ride and maybe by you dinner (the latter because boiled chicken makes you a cheap date. LOL)
 
The ferret_imp said:
I have ridden almost daily since 1965 and have ridden my motorcycles to 42 states, 2 provinces in Canada, and 5 countries in Europe. Hit most of the popular motorcycle roads and destinations, (and many of the unpopular ones lol). I still needed 6 states to complete the lower 48. 2 in the plains, and 4 of them on the east coast. I had planned on hitting all 6 this year on two trips. One to North & South Dakota, and one to the east coast. With my wife unable to ride long distances any more, and with this colitis I developed 2 years ago and the arthritis that developed in my throttle hand 6 months ago and the 2 bad knees that have been bad for awhile, I'm guessing my days of two week motorcycle trips are over. It was a great run...no.... it was an awesome run!

Anyhow, last week my wife and I decided to take the car and go hit the east coast states I have not ridden in (I know not the same but we do what we can do).
We took St Rt 50 from home over to Ocean City, Maryland then turned north hitting Delaware, New Jersey, Connecticut and Rhode Island, the 4 states I needed on the coast (along with a few others I had already ridden in...West Virginia, Maryland, New York, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania). BTW we drove thru New York City, across the George Washington Bridge, across the Bronx and New Jersey turnpikes and I got to say I will NEVER go that way again...car or motorcycle!!!!. Good night what a nightmare and garbage dump to boot imo. On our way back from RI, thru New York near Albany it was open, clean and gorgeous, but I knew that as I had ridden my bike in that area before when Di and I rode to Bar Harbor, Maine 9 years ago.

In my hunting days I had driven through North and South Dakota on my way to hunt black bear in Canada so with this trip I have BEEN IN all 48 lower states (also been to Alaska Caribou hunting), so the only state I need to have BEEN in all 50 now is Hawaii.

I really, really wanted to do the lower 48 by motorcycle, but it just wasn't to be. I had offers from three great friends (fellow CB1100 forum members) to tow my bike close to each state and then ride thru the states with me, and although the offer touched my heart beyond measure, and will forever be appreciated, that is just not my style. I am (or was) a long distance rider to my core. So it's either ride...or pass. Thanks anyway guys! You have no idea how much the offer meant to me.

Anyhow I am back home now,with the plan to ride short local rides while dealing with the doctors to see if they can get me road worthy again. I have my yearly Men's Fall Trip coming up in a few months with my son and brother, my son's father in law and a nephew, and a rally or two (incl the CB rally in W. Va) that will depend on if I think I am able to make the rides. We shall see. I still have my hotel reservation for the CB rally and have not missed one yet.

My goal has always been to ride until I am 70, I've said that many times before. I have 11 months to go. I think I can make it but not in the style I am used to. One day at a time fellas. One day at a time.

That's all....I'm going for a short ride now.
Mikey 23 years ago I went through NYC in a big truck (48' trailer) and I too did the GW bridge. Talk about a total suck fest. I'm glad that I will NEVER be doing that again.
 
I like visiting NYC by vehicle, although, it gets harder every time. Motorcycle would be the easiest, but you really need to have your bearings in your head as you go. Otherwise, your experience will be a bit manic.
 
Ferret... A "Combined Braking System" as pioneered by Honda could work for you. You might have to get a system off an old Honda or something but it would mean braking mainly by foot pedal, which also operates the front brake, relieving your hand of the job.
Here... Combined braking system - Wikipedia
Good luck, mate.
 
Sorry to hear the hand is still bothering you!

I hope you know you're a inspiration to all of us! I think of you quite often when riding, "What would ferret do?" I still make stupid decisions sometimes, but at least I'm thinking about it. Lol

You never know, if you live long enough you can get one of these self driving motorcycles and just touch the controls every once in a while or if you feel like it. ;-)

It even comes to a complete stop without putting your foot down!

YouTube is not currently available on this device.
 
Randy B_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I have ridden almost daily since 1965 and have ridden my motorcycles to 42 states, 2 provinces in Canada, and 5 countries in Europe. Hit most of the popular motorcycle roads and destinations, (and many of the unpopular ones lol). I still needed 6 states to complete the lower 48. 2 in the plains, and 4 of them on the east coast. I had planned on hitting all 6 this year on two trips. One to North & South Dakota, and one to the east coast. With my wife unable to ride long distances any more, and with this colitis I developed 2 years ago and the arthritis that developed in my throttle hand 6 months ago and the 2 bad knees that have been bad for awhile, I'm guessing my days of two week motorcycle trips are over. It was a great run...no.... it was an awesome run!

Anyhow, last week my wife and I decided to take the car and go hit the east coast states I have not ridden in (I know not the same but we do what we can do).
We took St Rt 50 from home over to Ocean City, Maryland then turned north hitting Delaware, New Jersey, Connecticut and Rhode Island, the 4 states I needed on the coast (along with a few others I had already ridden in...West Virginia, Maryland, New York, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania). BTW we drove thru New York City, across the George Washington Bridge, across the Bronx and New Jersey turnpikes and I got to say I will NEVER go that way again...car or motorcycle!!!!. Good night what a nightmare and garbage dump to boot imo. On our way back from RI, thru New York near Albany it was open, clean and gorgeous, but I knew that as I had ridden my bike in that area before when Di and I rode to Bar Harbor, Maine 9 years ago.

In my hunting days I had driven through North and South Dakota on my way to hunt black bear in Canada so with this trip I have BEEN IN all 48 lower states (also been to Alaska Caribou hunting), so the only state I need to have BEEN in all 50 now is Hawaii.

I really, really wanted to do the lower 48 by motorcycle, but it just wasn't to be. I had offers from three great friends (fellow CB1100 forum members) to tow my bike close to each state and then ride thru the states with me, and although the offer touched my heart beyond measure, and will forever be appreciated, that is just not my style. I am (or was) a long distance rider to my core. So it's either ride...or pass. Thanks anyway guys! You have no idea how much the offer meant to me.

Anyhow I am back home now,with the plan to ride short local rides while dealing with the doctors to see if they can get me road worthy again. I have my yearly Men's Fall Trip coming up in a few months with my son and brother, my son's father in law and a nephew, and a rally or two (incl the CB rally in W. Va) that will depend on if I think I am able to make the rides. We shall see. I still have my hotel reservation for the CB rally and have not missed one yet.

My goal has always been to ride until I am 70, I've said that many times before. I have 11 months to go. I think I can make it but not in the style I am used to. One day at a time fellas. One day at a time.

That's all....I'm going for a short ride now.
Mikey 23 years ago I went through NYC in a big truck (48' trailer) and I too did the GW bridge. Talk about a total suck fest. I'm glad that I will NEVER be doing that again.
I spent years living in NJ and Queens and working in Manhattan/Queens. I did the GW bridge frequently. That toll cluster in Fort Lee is horrific. Really, Manhattan is a city that just isn't meant for independant motorized vehicles anymore. I'd be happy if they shut down most of the streets and relegated it to mass transit and foot traffic only. Might go a long way to making that city a much better place. My time living and working in that world is marked by a constant need to plan my day and make sure that everything goes according to schedule, because delays were deadly and unexpected detours were catastrophic.

and you think the GW bridge is bad? try spending every day on the BQE and the Van Wyck on a motorcycle just to get to work and back. you'll be thankful for the 7 train, terrible as it was.
 
You have a lot of riding to look back on and be thankful for Ferret and you're not done yet, just waylaid a bit. Here's hoping the docs can keep you in the saddle for a good long time.
 
Back
Top