Fellow CB1100 rider accident - be careful out there!

That's not a pretty picture Rebel73! Bike size obviously doesn't matter on impact. I am very glad to hear your friend will be ok. I've policed a few where human injury and bike damage just don't match. It's apparent from the bike damage shown in your picture that your friend won the mismatch.

I also saw another deluxe hit the classified in my neck of the woods so a bit of a drive for your friend but here it is nonetheless. Praying your friend has a fast recovery.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/mcy/6073996786


The Great Lakes, great people and a great bike
 
Ugh, that photo hurts.

That really bites - I'm so tired of these cagers not paying attention! Really glad your friend (and you) are ok. Like you said, hopefully there isn't any unseen, long-term damage to his body, so best of luck to him. A shiny new bike should help too - 2017 RS or EX perhaps?
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Sorry to hear this. Glad he is OK. That is by far the most important part. Even though you weren't in the accident yourself- it takes a mental toll as well.

Can always buy and build another bike. Shame as his bike looked pretty cool- hate to see the K&H seat eat pavement.

Looks like he had a gopro. Did it catch the infraction? What was the kids response / attitude towards what happened?

Also- what did you guys use to white letter your tires and how is it holding up?
There are permanent white paint pens that are used on tires. A few sellers on eBay have them for like $4 or $5.

You can also get similar at an art supply store.
 
stateboy_imp said:
That's not a pretty picture Rebel73! Bike size obviously doesn't matter on impact. I am very glad to hear your friend will be ok. I've policed a few where human injury and bike damage just don't match. It's apparent from the bike damage shown in your picture that your friend won the mismatch.

I also saw another deluxe hit the classified in my neck of the woods so a bit of a drive for your friend but here it is nonetheless. Praying your friend has a fast recovery.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/mcy/6073996786


The Great Lakes, great people and a great bike
Apropos the mismatch between injury and damage, I came across this study into ABS brakes which, amongst other things, makes the observation that, "... the evidence in this study suggests that the injury outcome appears to be nearly random, or rather it is dependent on circumstances other than speed". I suspect that circumstances rather than consistently specific factors may also dictate the level of damage to bikes.

Hope Garcia's doing OK. And you, too, Rob.
 
Life-changing events can happen in seconds or fractions of a second...thankfully this wasn't one of those moments for your friend.

As a rider, it's hard to maintain that constant "Spidey-sense" of imminent danger. A line of parked cars with entrances in between is one of those situations that sets me tingling. The mental "game" I play with cagers is "You don't see me...but I see you!" I look for them...because they are definitely not looking for me.
 
Glad you came through in one piece, Diego. Hope you get back on the road with another CB1100 soon!

The picture of your bike laying on the pavement is an eye opener.
 
Thread starter
Stichill_imp said:
Life-changing events can happen in seconds or fractions of a second...thankfully this wasn't one of those moments for your friend.

As a rider, it's hard to maintain that constant "Spidey-sense" of imminent danger. A line of parked cars with entrances in between is one of those situations that sets me tingling. The mental "game" I play with cagers is "You don't see me...but I see you!" I look for them...because they are definitely not looking for me.
I like the Spidey-sense analogy. Also, as a martial artist, I like to pretend I am a samurai on his horse in the state of "mushin" - heightened awareness and concentration. I try not to lose that, no matter how long I've been riding. Complacency can prove disastrous to a biker.
lola_imp said:
hope your friend still goes to the hospital to have things checked out but glad to hear you guys are still ok.
He did go get himself checked out - no broken bones or concussion or anything like that. Thanks.
 
Glad your friend is ok. I took a look at the residential areas down the mountain from Crystal Lake. Ones with cars and blind driveways. On those roads, as in FL where my brother lives, anything that moves in my vision is suspect. I'm riding along thinking, "yeah they WILL". It should be illegal to park on those streets. - If I lived in Cali, I'd have a BIG OL yellow helmet. Likely a yellow jacket too. In Mass. we have tons of nice quiet roads with trees. Driveways too but not like Covina, for example. I googled one side street and it was HORRIBLE for a motorcycle. Driveways blocked by cars in the street. In Mass., they SEE me, but I am yellow and red and white. I look like a carnival coming down the road. The looks I get in Harley dealers! LOL.
 
Thread starter
Agreed, nhawk, a row of parked cars in a residential zone is a recipe for trouble, and I ASSUME the worst. Unfortunately, a yellow helmet wouldn't have helped my friend in this case. Maybe a screaming siren? Even then, who knows?
 
Yeah a lot of people in cars are simply not in the moment. There mind is many other places. Today I saw a car pull left in front of another car and both were quite damaged. If they can't see another car coming, or think they'll just make it if they try hard enough...

Rebel73_imp said:
Agreed, nhawk, a row of parked cars in a residential zone is a recipe for trouble, and I ASSUME the worst. Unfortunately, a yellow helmet wouldn't have helped my friend in this case. Maybe a screaming siren? Even then, who knows?
 
Rebel73_imp said:
So last Saturday morning my buddy, Diego, who also rides a CB1100 (2013 STD) and is a member of this forum(not very active, though) and I rode up to Crystal Lake, a nice local mountain road, and had a very nice ride. It was super chilly up there, but nice nonetheless.

Well, anyhow, on our way back we were traveling through a residential area. Diego was in front, with me following not far behind, when suddenly a car pulls out of a driveway from behind a row of parked cars. At this point, everything felt like it transpired in slow motion. Diego clipped the corner of the front driver's side bumper, ejecting him from the motorcycle and onto the street, where he rolled several times before coming to a stop. He got up almost immediately and walked over to the curb. His CB was laying in the street on its left side, a sad sight indeed. After making sure he was ok, I had a local resident help me get the bike upright and to the side of the road. It was difficult as it couldn't be steered due to the damage. Fortunately Diego didn't have any broken bones, but who knows what other injuries could manifest themselves later on, as he was complaining of hip pain. The good thing is that we were only going ~20mph. It could've been much worse.

To sum things up, the bike is a total loss. It was valued at around $6,600 and the repair costs are in excess of 7K. He's working on getting everything sorted out asap, but he will soon be in the market for a new bike, hopefully another CB. He really loved his bike and had quite a lot of mods on it. The cage driver was some young kid. A motor cop responded to my 911 call and talked to all the parties involved. He seemed sympathetic to our side and even lectured the kid about not just pulling out blindly like that.

It's sad but these bikes don't hold their value very well compared to say, Triumphs. Obviously the demand isn't there. I don't care. They are still superior in just about every way.

I've included a pic that we took at the top of the mountain. His bike is the one on the right...RIP.. :(


Sorry about your buddies bike, it could have easily been a very different story involving road blocks, helicopters and trauma centers.

On a happier, less morbid, note, I had not seen your bike with the two tone paint and polished rims, it looks really awesome! :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
bigsheep_imp said:
So that CB1100 Thruxton is a write off? Shame, glad your buddy was able to get on his feet right away.
Yup. She's a goner. But on a more positive note, he just picked up a black 14 STD with only 7k on the clock.
 
Interesting that he's stuck with the CB and not thought about a change.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Interesting that he's stuck with the CB and not thought about a change.
He test rode some Triumphs - a Scrambler and a T120. He still felt the CB was the superior machine. Also, he's happier now the 6 spd.
 
The T 120 is a great bike, no doubt about it. My brother owns one and I get to ride it fairly often. Problem is they are really expensive (like almost twice as much) compared to what you can get a used or left over 14 CB for, and in almost all respects the CB is still the superior machine.

 
Back
Top