Fellow CB1100 rider accident - be careful out there!

Rebel73_imp

Been there
Thread starter
So last Saturday morning my buddy, Diego, who also rides a CB1100 (2013 STD) and is a member of this forum(not very active, though) and I rode up to Crystal Lake, a nice local mountain road, and had a very nice ride. It was super chilly up there, but nice nonetheless.

Well, anyhow, on our way back we were traveling through a residential area. Diego was in front, with me following not far behind, when suddenly a car pulls out of a driveway from behind a row of parked cars. At this point, everything felt like it transpired in slow motion. Diego clipped the corner of the front driver's side bumper, ejecting him from the motorcycle and onto the street, where he rolled several times before coming to a stop. He got up almost immediately and walked over to the curb. His CB was laying in the street on its left side, a sad sight indeed. After making sure he was ok, I had a local resident help me get the bike upright and to the side of the road. It was difficult as it couldn't be steered due to the damage. Fortunately Diego didn't have any broken bones, but who knows what other injuries could manifest themselves later on, as he was complaining of hip pain. The good thing is that we were only going ~20mph. It could've been much worse.

To sum things up, the bike is a total loss. It was valued at around $6,600 and the repair costs are in excess of 7K. He's working on getting everything sorted out asap, but he will soon be in the market for a new bike, hopefully another CB. He really loved his bike and had quite a lot of mods on it. The cage driver was some young kid. A motor cop responded to my 911 call and talked to all the parties involved. He seemed sympathetic to our side and even lectured the kid about not just pulling out blindly like that.

It's sad but these bikes don't hold their value very well compared to say, Triumphs. Obviously the demand isn't there. I don't care. They are still superior in just about every way.

I've included a pic that we took at the top of the mountain. His bike is the one on the right...RIP.. :(
 
Sad to hear this and see it / experience it so often .
the way you wrote this puts the reader in an almost being there and seeing it moment .
 
That sucks. I hate to hear about a CB1100 going to the big parts lot in the sky, but at least your friend didn't get hurt too badly. Man, the last time I had a get-off I was only going about 15mph and I was sore for months. Recovery definitely is one of the things that doesn't improve with age. Hope your friend has a swift one.
 
Thread starter
skidmarkart_imp said:
That sucks. I hate to hear about a CB1100 going to the big parts lot in the sky, but at least your friend didn't get hurt too badly. Man, the last time I had a get-off I was only going about 15mph and I was sore for months. Recovery definitely is one of the things that doesn't improve with age. Hope your friend has a swift one.
Thanks. Fortunately he is on the lower end of the CB1100 rider demographics at 32, so he has that on his side. It just sucks all around.
 
Sorry to hear about your accident Diego. I hit a patch of winter (snow treatment) sand, slid off the road and hurt my CB pretty good mostly cosmetic scraps and bent bars, signals, etc). As in the old saying "I feel your pain". Waiting for the estimate to fix it.
Hope things work out for you.
 
Oh man, serious bummer, but you know he wasn't hurt and and that is a blessing. He will ride again. The good thing about low values? He can picked up a nice used one at a good price.
 
man shi**y deal
first off great to hear he's alright.
say what you want but just the little stories like that will make you a better more alert rider
every hint or tip as to what happens in these will always make ya think about what your doing out on the road
i have been over the hood of a car and dont recommend it to anyone
as it says be carefull out there
 
Diego, I'm sorry to hear about your off, but glad you are OK. While it's sad about your bike, it's the second most important item in this incident.

Sorry you had to see it Rob; must have been alarming.
 
Sorry to hear this. Glad he is OK. That is by far the most important part. Even though you weren't in the accident yourself- it takes a mental toll as well.

Can always buy and build another bike. Shame as his bike looked pretty cool- hate to see the K&H seat eat pavement.

Looks like he had a gopro. Did it catch the infraction? What was the kids response / attitude towards what happened?

Also- what did you guys use to white letter your tires and how is it holding up?
 
Sorry Diego....hope you heal quickly! I just drove in to San Pedro from Palm Springs and couldn't believe the number of riders in shorts and t-shirts....you never know when you're going to go down....
 
Sorry to hear about this.

The most important thing is your friend Diego is fine. The bike can be replaced, not Diego.

Hope things will sort out quickly. A 2017 CB1100 EX should help forgetting this bad time quickly :-)
 
Don't be too hard on the stupid, mindless, unthinking kid, he was probably too busy texting while driving, grrrrrr!!

Very glad to hear that the rider walked away from what could have been very, very serious.
Shame about the CB though.
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
Sorry to hear this. Glad he is OK. That is by far the most important part. Even though you weren't in the accident yourself- it takes a mental toll as well.

Can always buy and build another bike. Shame as his bike looked pretty cool- hate to see the K&H seat eat pavement.

Looks like he had a gopro. Did it catch the infraction? What was the kids response / attitude towards what happened?

Also- what did you guys use to white letter your tires and how is it holding up?
We used oil based silver Sharpies and they hold up quite well. I don't think his GoPro was on, but the police report is on our side. Yes, it was a scary thing to witness. I'm just thankful that my friend was not seriously hurt.
 
show him this one topstroke is selling

CB1100 Forum

BTW photobucket pic from post 1 has been deleted it says
 
Glad that Diego is OK. I hope he winds up on another CB.

At the risk of seeming like a vulture, is that a K&H high seat? If so, was it damaged in the crash? If not, might it be for sale?
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
Glad that Diego is OK. I hope he winds up on another CB.

At the risk of seeming like a vulture, is that a K&H high seat? If so, was it damaged in the crash? If not, might it be for sale?
It was included in the valuation of his settlement, so he's got to let it go. Sorry.
The ferret_imp said:
show him this one topstroke is selling

CB1100 Forum

BTW photobucket pic from post 1 has been deleted it says
Mighty strange about the pic being deleted. Wasn't me. Just changed my PW just in case. Here it is again.

 
Back
Top