Fear of death or injury

Tortuga_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
DAC_imp said:
Wendy must have used 10W-40. Shoulda known better.

(J/K. A very unsafe post - living in the now.)
Now that was funny!
Cormanus_imp said:
Good thread Tortuga. One of the reasons this is such a great forum is people's willingness to discuss these other issue.

As we get older the list of things that might kill or incapacitate us soon—vehicle accidents, disease, age, dementia, etc etc—gets longer or the moment gets closer or both. Seems to me it gets more important to try to do as many of the things that give you pleasure as possible even if that involves risk.

I choose not to watch the spills videos. Probably because ignorance is bliss and constant reminders of how vulnerable one is might lessen the pleasure. I wear safety gear, take the best care I can and try to become a better rider. I know I'm not as good as many others and always try to ride within my abilities.

I'm glad I got back into it. It is a great source of pleasure, risk or no risk.

By the way, Pterodactyl, I endorse your sentiments about the nanny state and latte, but there's nothing wrong with a fine Chardonnay. Nothing at all.
Although I prefer a nice chilled Pinot Grigio, I agree on the other points. Why worry your ever decreasing life away, when you can end it in one spectacular motorbike crash? :D make sure you get it on camera though, so the YouTubers can learn from it (or chuckle/gasp depending on mental state).

I think when you're young "death or glory" resonates with you, past 40 it's more "I'll just take the glory, if I may?"
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Cormanus, Sounds good to me. And my humble apologies to those members who like dressing gowns/slippers/sitcoms or even camomile tea and ride like hell on wheels.

Cheers :beerchug:
Yeah, but no Chardonnay remember, you poofters! :D
Did the Australian series Kath and Kim screen in the UK?
Did the Australian series Kath and Kim screen in the UK?
I don't know. I've not heard of it.
Red Mist_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
Red Mist_imp said:
I just realized that I have more fear of death or injury putting this bike on the centerstand than I do when riding it!:rofl:
What centre stand ? :shy:
What centre stand ? :shy: The one sitting in a storage box in my garage.:beerchug:
What centre stand ? :shy: The one sitting in a storage box in my garage.:beerchug:
I've heard they are pretty gnarly beasts to operate, so it's for the best you've removed 'The Widow Maker'.
Did the Australian series Kath and Kim screen in the UK?
I don't know. I've not heard of it.
It's about a mother (Kath) and daughter (Kim) who are not very well educated and living in a large and ghastly suburb on the edge of Melbourne. The sort of folk who reinforce many English prejudices about Australians. :)

There's a wonderful episode where they go to the races and Kim gets as full as a London Tube carriage in peak hour and keeps demanding "card-on-nay". A helpful chap says to her, "It's shard-on-ay". She says, "It's cardonay, you shunt."
Did the Australian series Kath and Kim screen in the UK?
I don't know. I've not heard of it.
It's about a mother (Kath) and daughter (Kim) who are not very well educated and living in a large and ghastly suburb on the edge of Melbourne. The sort of folk who reinforce many English prejudices about Australians. :)

There's a wonderful episode where they go to the races and Kim gets as full as a London Tube carriage in peak hour and keeps demanding "card-on-nay". A helpful chap says to her, "It's shard-on-ay". She says, "It's cardonay, you shunt."
Loll. You bloody Aussies! :D

I remember driving past the cricket ground at Edgbaston a while ago and seeing huge billboard posters all round Birmingham saying "Pro's v Cons" or something similar.
bubblerboy64_imp said:
Risk??? Life is full of it. Anyone who minimizes it is ignoring reality but good points are made. I ride a motorcycle some and I accept the risk perhaps foolishly (that's the real debate isn't it) but I over eat and don't exercise much and that's 100 times more likely to get me then the bike.

When people talk about motorcycles and risk I never minimize it and if they are non riders I don't even discuss it with them because they have no reference. I'd sooner try to teach my dog to do calculus. If they do ride I'd get into it with them.

There is no doubt when you are on the hospital bed as a result of the FOOLISH things you've done there will be regrets. BUT motorcycles is down the list a ways for many of us.

So be careful on the bike and be careful with your fork and glass and you guys that smoke? Well what's the point of even going there.

Simply stated we are not self preservationist personality types. Read up on self preservationists.

Ever watch the Isle of Man TT races. Now those guys are NUTS.
Yes, I knew an ex rider there, he's dead now. R.I.P Ian 'Gus' Scott. Legend.
That's excellent. Sport really brings out the brutal in people. I remember an America's Cup yacht race between Australia and New Zealand when the Australian boat broke in half and sank. Quickly. In the Australian newspaper next day there was a full page picture of the yacht sinking and a slogan saying "There's only one thing that goes down faster than a Steinlager". Steinlager's a kiwi beer and they were sponsoring the boat.

Call me unpatriotic, but I still chuckle when I remember that ad.
 
I don't watch crash videos or watch plane crashes on that Mayday TV program. I don't need those images in my head. I love bikes and I love flying. I'm an adult; I know the risks, but life is full of risks. I do what I do and I do the best I can to reduce those risks. You can't tiptoe through life fearing everything that may be around the next corner. You educate yourself, use quality equipment and plan for the unseen as best you can. That's called "enjoying life."
In the meantime, I'm going to ride until the day comes when creaky old bones tell me I can't :P
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
DAC_imp said:
Wendy must have used 10W-40. Shoulda known better.

(J/K. A very unsafe post - living in the now.)
Now that was funny!
Cormanus_imp said:
Good thread Tortuga. One of the reasons this is such a great forum is people's willingness to discuss these other issue.

As we get older the list of things that might kill or incapacitate us soon—vehicle accidents, disease, age, dementia, etc etc—gets longer or the moment gets closer or both. Seems to me it gets more important to try to do as many of the things that give you pleasure as possible even if that involves risk.

I choose not to watch the spills videos. Probably because ignorance is bliss and constant reminders of how vulnerable one is might lessen the pleasure. I wear safety gear, take the best care I can and try to become a better rider. I know I'm not as good as many others and always try to ride within my abilities.

I'm glad I got back into it. It is a great source of pleasure, risk or no risk.

By the way, Pterodactyl, I endorse your sentiments about the nanny state and latte, but there's nothing wrong with a fine Chardonnay. Nothing at all.
Although I prefer a nice chilled Pinot Grigio, I agree on the other points. Why worry your ever decreasing life away, when you can end it in one spectacular motorbike crash? :D make sure you get it on camera though, so the YouTubers can learn from it (or chuckle/gasp depending on mental state).

I think when you're young "death or glory" resonates with you, past 40 it's more "I'll just take the glory, if I may?"
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Cormanus, Sounds good to me. And my humble apologies to those members who like dressing gowns/slippers/sitcoms or even camomile tea and ride like hell on wheels.

Cheers :beerchug:
Yeah, but no Chardonnay remember, you poofters! :D
Did the Australian series Kath and Kim screen in the UK?
Did the Australian series Kath and Kim screen in the UK?
I don't know. I've not heard of it.
Red Mist_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
Red Mist_imp said:
I just realized that I have more fear of death or injury putting this bike on the centerstand than I do when riding it!:rofl:
What centre stand ? :shy:
What centre stand ? :shy: The one sitting in a storage box in my garage.:beerchug:
What centre stand ? :shy: The one sitting in a storage box in my garage.:beerchug:
I've heard they are pretty gnarly beasts to operate, so it's for the best you've removed 'The Widow Maker'.
Did the Australian series Kath and Kim screen in the UK?
I don't know. I've not heard of it.
It's about a mother (Kath) and daughter (Kim) who are not very well educated and living in a large and ghastly suburb on the edge of Melbourne. The sort of folk who reinforce many English prejudices about Australians. :)

There's a wonderful episode where they go to the races and Kim gets as full as a London Tube carriage in peak hour and keeps demanding "card-on-nay". A helpful chap says to her, "It's shard-on-ay". She says, "It's cardonay, you shunt."
Did the Australian series Kath and Kim screen in the UK?
I don't know. I've not heard of it.
It's about a mother (Kath) and daughter (Kim) who are not very well educated and living in a large and ghastly suburb on the edge of Melbourne. The sort of folk who reinforce many English prejudices about Australians. :)

There's a wonderful episode where they go to the races and Kim gets as full as a London Tube carriage in peak hour and keeps demanding "card-on-nay". A helpful chap says to her, "It's shard-on-ay". She says, "It's cardonay, you shunt."
Loll. You bloody Aussies! :D

I remember driving past the cricket ground at Edgbaston a while ago and seeing huge billboard posters all round Birmingham saying "Pro's v Cons" or something similar.
bubblerboy64_imp said:
Risk??? Life is full of it. Anyone who minimizes it is ignoring reality but good points are made. I ride a motorcycle some and I accept the risk perhaps foolishly (that's the real debate isn't it) but I over eat and don't exercise much and that's 100 times more likely to get me then the bike.

When people talk about motorcycles and risk I never minimize it and if they are non riders I don't even discuss it with them because they have no reference. I'd sooner try to teach my dog to do calculus. If they do ride I'd get into it with them.

There is no doubt when you are on the hospital bed as a result of the FOOLISH things you've done there will be regrets. BUT motorcycles is down the list a ways for many of us.

So be careful on the bike and be careful with your fork and glass and you guys that smoke? Well what's the point of even going there.

Simply stated we are not self preservationist personality types. Read up on self preservationists.

Ever watch the Isle of Man TT races. Now those guys are NUTS.
Yes, I knew an ex rider there, he's dead now. R.I.P Ian 'Gus' Scott. Legend.
That's excellent. Sport really brings out the brutal in people. I remember an America's Cup yacht race between Australia and New Zealand when the Australian boat broke in half and sank. Quickly. In the Australian newspaper next day there was a full page picture of the yacht sinking and a slogan saying "There's only one thing that goes down faster than a Steinlager". Steinlager's a kiwi beer and they were sponsoring the boat.

Call me unpatriotic, but I still chuckle when I remember that ad.
That's excellent. Sport really brings out the brutal in people. I remember an America's Cup yacht race between Australia and New Zealand when the Australian boat broke in half and sank. Quickly. In the Australian newspaper next day there was a full page picture of the yacht sinking and a slogan saying "There's only one thing that goes down faster than a Steinlager". Steinlager's a kiwi beer and they were sponsoring the boat.

Call me unpatriotic, but I still chuckle when I remember that ad.
Like that In Zid humour. Their Prime Minister (the Honourable Mr "Piggy" Muldoon) was known to say that for every Kiwi that emigrated to Australia, the IQ of both countries went up. How can you not laugh :")

Cheers
Hey tortuga, are the Pros still in grief counselling?

Cheers
 
Thread starter
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
DAC_imp said:
Wendy must have used 10W-40. Shoulda known better.

(J/K. A very unsafe post - living in the now.)
Now that was funny!
Cormanus_imp said:
Good thread Tortuga. One of the reasons this is such a great forum is people's willingness to discuss these other issue.

As we get older the list of things that might kill or incapacitate us soon—vehicle accidents, disease, age, dementia, etc etc—gets longer or the moment gets closer or both. Seems to me it gets more important to try to do as many of the things that give you pleasure as possible even if that involves risk.

I choose not to watch the spills videos. Probably because ignorance is bliss and constant reminders of how vulnerable one is might lessen the pleasure. I wear safety gear, take the best care I can and try to become a better rider. I know I'm not as good as many others and always try to ride within my abilities.

I'm glad I got back into it. It is a great source of pleasure, risk or no risk.

By the way, Pterodactyl, I endorse your sentiments about the nanny state and latte, but there's nothing wrong with a fine Chardonnay. Nothing at all.
Although I prefer a nice chilled Pinot Grigio, I agree on the other points. Why worry your ever decreasing life away, when you can end it in one spectacular motorbike crash? :D make sure you get it on camera though, so the YouTubers can learn from it (or chuckle/gasp depending on mental state).

I think when you're young "death or glory" resonates with you, past 40 it's more "I'll just take the glory, if I may?"
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Cormanus, Sounds good to me. And my humble apologies to those members who like dressing gowns/slippers/sitcoms or even camomile tea and ride like hell on wheels.

Cheers :beerchug:
Yeah, but no Chardonnay remember, you poofters! :D
Did the Australian series Kath and Kim screen in the UK?
Did the Australian series Kath and Kim screen in the UK?
I don't know. I've not heard of it.
Red Mist_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
Red Mist_imp said:
I just realized that I have more fear of death or injury putting this bike on the centerstand than I do when riding it!:rofl:
What centre stand ? :shy:
What centre stand ? :shy: The one sitting in a storage box in my garage.:beerchug:
What centre stand ? :shy: The one sitting in a storage box in my garage.:beerchug:
I've heard they are pretty gnarly beasts to operate, so it's for the best you've removed 'The Widow Maker'.
Did the Australian series Kath and Kim screen in the UK?
I don't know. I've not heard of it.
It's about a mother (Kath) and daughter (Kim) who are not very well educated and living in a large and ghastly suburb on the edge of Melbourne. The sort of folk who reinforce many English prejudices about Australians. :)

There's a wonderful episode where they go to the races and Kim gets as full as a London Tube carriage in peak hour and keeps demanding "card-on-nay". A helpful chap says to her, "It's shard-on-ay". She says, "It's cardonay, you shunt."
Did the Australian series Kath and Kim screen in the UK?
I don't know. I've not heard of it.
It's about a mother (Kath) and daughter (Kim) who are not very well educated and living in a large and ghastly suburb on the edge of Melbourne. The sort of folk who reinforce many English prejudices about Australians. :)

There's a wonderful episode where they go to the races and Kim gets as full as a London Tube carriage in peak hour and keeps demanding "card-on-nay". A helpful chap says to her, "It's shard-on-ay". She says, "It's cardonay, you shunt."
Loll. You bloody Aussies! :D

I remember driving past the cricket ground at Edgbaston a while ago and seeing huge billboard posters all round Birmingham saying "Pro's v Cons" or something similar.
bubblerboy64_imp said:
Risk??? Life is full of it. Anyone who minimizes it is ignoring reality but good points are made. I ride a motorcycle some and I accept the risk perhaps foolishly (that's the real debate isn't it) but I over eat and don't exercise much and that's 100 times more likely to get me then the bike.

When people talk about motorcycles and risk I never minimize it and if they are non riders I don't even discuss it with them because they have no reference. I'd sooner try to teach my dog to do calculus. If they do ride I'd get into it with them.

There is no doubt when you are on the hospital bed as a result of the FOOLISH things you've done there will be regrets. BUT motorcycles is down the list a ways for many of us.

So be careful on the bike and be careful with your fork and glass and you guys that smoke? Well what's the point of even going there.

Simply stated we are not self preservationist personality types. Read up on self preservationists.

Ever watch the Isle of Man TT races. Now those guys are NUTS.
Yes, I knew an ex rider there, he's dead now. R.I.P Ian 'Gus' Scott. Legend.
That's excellent. Sport really brings out the brutal in people. I remember an America's Cup yacht race between Australia and New Zealand when the Australian boat broke in half and sank. Quickly. In the Australian newspaper next day there was a full page picture of the yacht sinking and a slogan saying "There's only one thing that goes down faster than a Steinlager". Steinlager's a kiwi beer and they were sponsoring the boat.

Call me unpatriotic, but I still chuckle when I remember that ad.
That's excellent. Sport really brings out the brutal in people. I remember an America's Cup yacht race between Australia and New Zealand when the Australian boat broke in half and sank. Quickly. In the Australian newspaper next day there was a full page picture of the yacht sinking and a slogan saying "There's only one thing that goes down faster than a Steinlager". Steinlager's a kiwi beer and they were sponsoring the boat.

Call me unpatriotic, but I still chuckle when I remember that ad.
Like that In Zid humour. Their Prime Minister (the Honourable Mr "Piggy" Muldoon) was known to say that for every Kiwi that emigrated to Australia, the IQ of both countries went up. How can you not laugh :")

Cheers
Hey tortuga, are the Pros still in grief counselling?

Cheers
That's excellent. Sport really brings out the brutal in people. I remember an America's Cup yacht race between Australia and New Zealand when the Australian boat broke in half and sank. Quickly. In the Australian newspaper next day there was a full page picture of the yacht sinking and a slogan saying "There's only one thing that goes down faster than a Steinlager". Steinlager's a kiwi beer and they were sponsoring the boat.

Call me unpatriotic, but I still chuckle when I remember that ad.
Like that In Zid humour. Their Prime Minister (the Honourable Mr "Piggy" Muldoon) was known to say that for every Kiwi that emigrated to Australia, the IQ of both countries went up. How can you not laugh :")

Cheers
Hey tortuga, are the Pros still in grief counselling?

Cheers
Dunno mate, cricket's my dad's bag, not mine.

I since birth have found it to be the most un-engaging activity known to man....


(Dare I say on a par with baseball) :-/
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Has to be better than golf :rolleyes:
Oh god yeah, how did I forget Golf??

As Robin Williams once said "golf is the only game where a white man can dress like a black pimp and not look bad!"

Cretins, the lot of them!

(My father in law is a golfist) :D
 
Or as Happy Gilmore said " if I dressed like that, I'd have to kick my own A**"
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Or as Happy Gilmore said " if I dressed like that, I'd have to kick my own A**"
Lol.

Over here they all drive Jaguars, Range Rovers or worst of all and definitely a 'Golfist's Chariot'..the nasty Lexus...:dodgy:
 
I have been riding for 42 years and just recently had my first "major" get-off. I was lucky to be within 25 miles of the only Level One Trauma Center in Nevada. I spent a day and a half there getting taped to a board, then tested, probed and braced. (My friend and I had just spent most of a week in some of the most remote areas of the Southwest so it could have been a whole lot worse.)
Here's what I have concluded:
1) I am an ATGATT guy. I slid through the desert at 60 mph and had zero road rash. ATGATT kept me from getting hurt worse. The cop and EMTs were impressed with the lack of road rash.
2) Crashing is no fun...trust me. The older we get the more it hurts and the longer it takes to recover.
3) I recently read a set of statistics about fatalities by vehicle type. Motorcycles fatalities were 30 times more likely per mile traveled than automobiles. They were the highest category in deaths/mile.
4) I am going to continue to ride. I probably won't do cross-country or international bike trips any more, but I can't quit all together despite the facts in numbers 2 and 3 above.
I have told people for decades "If the risks of motorcycling scare you then maybe you shouldn't ride." It is up to each individual to determine the risk/reward ratio for them. I hope this helps.
Keep the rubber side down.
 
Holy Crap..what happened Dale? Glad you are here to relate the tale.
 
lol one can imagine. well at least the CB should fare a little better in off road excursions. At least one would hope.
 
Thread starter
eladoppel_imp said:
I have been riding for 42 years and just recently had my first "major" get-off. I was lucky to be within 25 miles of the only Level One Trauma Center in Nevada. I spent a day and a half there getting taped to a board, then tested, probed and braced. (My friend and I had just spent most of a week in some of the most remote areas of the Southwest so it could have been a whole lot worse.)
Here's what I have concluded:
1) I am an ATGATT guy. I slid through the desert at 60 mph and had zero road rash. ATGATT kept me from getting hurt worse. The cop and EMTs were impressed with the lack of road rash.
2) Crashing is no fun...trust me. The older we get the more it hurts and the longer it takes to recover.
3) I recently read a set of statistics about fatalities by vehicle type. Motorcycles fatalities were 30 times more likely per mile traveled than automobiles. They were the highest category in deaths/mile.
4) I am going to continue to ride. I probably won't do cross-country or international bike trips any more, but I can't quit all together despite the facts in numbers 2 and 3 above.
I have told people for decades "If the risks of motorcycling scare you then maybe you shouldn't ride." It is up to each individual to determine the risk/reward ratio for them. I hope this helps.
Keep the rubber side down.
Aren't most accidents supposed to happen within a 3 mile radius of your home?

Maybe touring's the key to survival? Stay clear of that 3 mile 'danger zone'!
 
I don't know what ATTGATT is. I don't know what any acronyms are because they're too hard to remember.

I appreciate all the instructors coming up with all these acronyms, but acronyms (pilots, please help me out here) are only useful when you have time to check off each item, such as when flying a plane.

If a rider has to try to remember all kinds of tricks and gimmicks to ride safely and skillfully, in my opinion there's a problem.

In flying, we have checklists for certain phases of flight. But when the stick-and-rudder skill really come into play, as during a takeoff once we get permission to roll, or during the landing phase after we start to lower the flaps and adjust power, nobody's reciting acronyms. We are flying the plane.

The contrast here is that while you're riding a motorcycle, you are ALWAYS landing. There's not time for checklists and gimmicks. It's ALWAYS stick-and-rudder time, so to speak.

The best place to get your skill levels cranked up is on some kind of closed course, whether it be the Advanced Rider Course, a track day/riding school, or some other venue. Our reactions have to be instantaneous. No one ever learned to ride a motorcycle in a classroom.

You want to keep riding? Do one of these skill-building options.
 
Thread starter
Red Mist_imp said:
I don't know what ATTGATT is. I don't know what any acronyms are because they're too hard to remember.

I appreciate all the instructors coming up with all these acronyms, but acronyms (pilots, please help me out here) are only useful when you have time to check off each item, such as when flying a plane.

If a rider has to try to remember all kinds of tricks and gimmicks to ride safely and skillfully, in my opinion there's a problem.

In flying, we have checklists for certain phases of flight. But when the stick-and-rudder skill really come into play, as during a takeoff once we get permission to roll, or during the landing phase after we start to lower the flaps and adjust power, nobody's reciting acronyms. We are flying the plane.

The contrast here is that while you're riding a motorcycle, you are ALWAYS landing. There's not time for checklists and gimmicks. It's ALWAYS stick-and-rudder time, so to speak.

The best place to get your skill levels cranked up is on some kind of closed course, whether it be the Advanced Rider Course, a track day/riding school, or some other venue. Our reactions have to be instantaneous. No one ever learned to ride a motorcycle in a classroom.

You want to keep riding? Do one of these skill-building options.

I'm English so I'd never heard of it either, but rather like my clever ancestors at Bletchley Park during the war, I decoded it.

Brace yourself Red, it's a goodun!

All The Gear, All The Time.

I once succeeded in a job interview by creating a rather cheesy acronym which was intended to be 'tongue in cheek' to test the water.

As it happened the company (American owned) went on to print a good few thousand heavy promotional folders for the annual conference, with my cheesy acronym plastered over the back cover.

When jokes go bad, eh!

I could have died when the UK Sales Director called me up to the front to 'thank' me for my wonderful creativity. Oh the joy of a thousand scornful stares. Lol.:(
 
Tortuga_imp said:
eladoppel_imp said:
I have been riding for 42 years and just recently had my first "major" get-off. I was lucky to be within 25 miles of the only Level One Trauma Center in Nevada. I spent a day and a half there getting taped to a board, then tested, probed and braced. (My friend and I had just spent most of a week in some of the most remote areas of the Southwest so it could have been a whole lot worse.)
Here's what I have concluded:
1) I am an ATGATT guy. I slid through the desert at 60 mph and had zero road rash. ATGATT kept me from getting hurt worse. The cop and EMTs were impressed with the lack of road rash.
2) Crashing is no fun...trust me. The older we get the more it hurts and the longer it takes to recover.
3) I recently read a set of statistics about fatalities by vehicle type. Motorcycles fatalities were 30 times more likely per mile traveled than automobiles. They were the highest category in deaths/mile.
4) I am going to continue to ride. I probably won't do cross-country or international bike trips any more, but I can't quit all together despite the facts in numbers 2 and 3 above.
I have told people for decades "If the risks of motorcycling scare you then maybe you shouldn't ride." It is up to each individual to determine the risk/reward ratio for them. I hope this helps.
Keep the rubber side down.
Aren't most accidents supposed to happen within a 3 mile radius of your home?

Maybe touring's the key to survival? Stay clear of that 3 mile 'danger zone'!
Statistics is a very strange way to count. They can turn your brain to mush if you're not careful. Statistically, your very existence is impossible.

Turns out most accidents occur where you happen to be at the time.
 
Thread starter
Greg_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
eladoppel_imp said:
I have been riding for 42 years and just recently had my first "major" get-off. I was lucky to be within 25 miles of the only Level One Trauma Center in Nevada. I spent a day and a half there getting taped to a board, then tested, probed and braced. (My friend and I had just spent most of a week in some of the most remote areas of the Southwest so it could have been a whole lot worse.)
Here's what I have concluded:
1) I am an ATGATT guy. I slid through the desert at 60 mph and had zero road rash. ATGATT kept me from getting hurt worse. The cop and EMTs were impressed with the lack of road rash.
2) Crashing is no fun...trust me. The older we get the more it hurts and the longer it takes to recover.
3) I recently read a set of statistics about fatalities by vehicle type. Motorcycles fatalities were 30 times more likely per mile traveled than automobiles. They were the highest category in deaths/mile.
4) I am going to continue to ride. I probably won't do cross-country or international bike trips any more, but I can't quit all together despite the facts in numbers 2 and 3 above.
I have told people for decades "If the risks of motorcycling scare you then maybe you shouldn't ride." It is up to each individual to determine the risk/reward ratio for them. I hope this helps.
Keep the rubber side down.
Aren't most accidents supposed to happen within a 3 mile radius of your home?

Maybe touring's the key to survival? Stay clear of that 3 mile 'danger zone'!
Statistics is a very strange way to count. They can turn your brain to mush if you're not careful. Statistically, your very existence is impossible.

Turns out most accidents occur where you happen to be at the time.
Statistics is a very strange way to count. They can turn your brain to mush if you're not careful. Statistically, your very existence is impossible.

Turns out most accidents occur where you happen to be at the time.

I read somewhere once that 82% of statistics were made up! :-/
 
Red Mist_imp said:
I don't know what ATTGATT is. I don't know what any acronyms are because they're too hard to remember.

I appreciate all the instructors coming up with all these acronyms, but acronyms (pilots, please help me out here) are only useful when you have time to check off each item, such as when flying a plane.

If a rider has to try to remember all kinds of tricks and gimmicks to ride safely and skillfully, in my opinion there's a problem.

In flying, we have checklists for certain phases of flight. But when the stick-and-rudder skill really come into play, as during a takeoff once we get permission to roll, or during the landing phase after we start to lower the flaps and adjust power, nobody's reciting acronyms. We are flying the plane.

The contrast here is that while you're riding a motorcycle, you are ALWAYS landing. There's not time for checklists and gimmicks. It's ALWAYS stick-and-rudder time, so to speak.

The best place to get your skill levels cranked up is on some kind of closed course, whether it be the Advanced Rider Course, a track day/riding school, or some other venue. Our reactions have to be instantaneous. No one ever learned to ride a motorcycle in a classroom.

You want to keep riding? Do one of these skill-building options.
Good call Red Mist, if you take the training you know not only your limitations but also your capabilities. Knowledge is the power that dispels the fear of the unknown. Turning hard into a corner the mind's focus should be on entry point, line, looking through, exiting etc., not being distracted by the fear brought about by "@&$: I hope I can make this". Most of us old farts learnt the hard way, by watching yourself or your mates riding the roads of triumph or despair, or on a very few occasions, tragedy. Any new rider, once comfortable with the bike, (that is being able to get it on to the centre stand :dodgy: ) , should take an appropriate level of Advanced Rider Course. Anyone returning to riding would also be well advised to do so. After all, you ain't eighteen any more. I returned to riding in '93 and it was '05 before I decided, out of curiosity, to do an instructed track day. I learnt things that day that would have stood me in good stead over the previous 12 years. Shoulda done it earlier. They didn't run them in '62.

Quote:In flying, we have checklists for certain phases of flight. But when the stick-and-rudder skill really come into play, as during a takeoff once we get permission to roll, or during the landing phase after we start to lower the flaps and adjust power, nobody's reciting acronyms. We are flying the plane.
Nice simile and I get your point. However, sigh, the world of aviation is full of acronyms or mnemonic acronyms. The simple PTO mnemonic acronym of GUMPS or the other, more complex pure acronym TTMPFFIHHC* get the light aircraft pilot airborne. The modern Airbus (or Boeing) pilot has to be familiar with many, many acronyms ranging from ADIRU, through FMGES, all the way to VαPROT. There are hundreds to choose from if you want to operate in that world. It's like talking bloody Swahili!

Cheers

*Trims Tighten (throttle friction) Mixture Propellor Fuel Flaps Instruments Hatches Harness and Controls. It pisses me off that that is still there from 1966 but I don't remember where I parked the CB (on centre stand) twenty minutes ago.
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Greg_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
eladoppel_imp said:
I have been riding for 42 years and just recently had my first "major" get-off. I was lucky to be within 25 miles of the only Level One Trauma Center in Nevada. I spent a day and a half there getting taped to a board, then tested, probed and braced. (My friend and I had just spent most of a week in some of the most remote areas of the Southwest so it could have been a whole lot worse.)
Here's what I have concluded:
1) I am an ATGATT guy. I slid through the desert at 60 mph and had zero road rash. ATGATT kept me from getting hurt worse. The cop and EMTs were impressed with the lack of road rash.
2) Crashing is no fun...trust me. The older we get the more it hurts and the longer it takes to recover.
3) I recently read a set of statistics about fatalities by vehicle type. Motorcycles fatalities were 30 times more likely per mile traveled than automobiles. They were the highest category in deaths/mile.
4) I am going to continue to ride. I probably won't do cross-country or international bike trips any more, but I can't quit all together despite the facts in numbers 2 and 3 above.
I have told people for decades "If the risks of motorcycling scare you then maybe you shouldn't ride." It is up to each individual to determine the risk/reward ratio for them. I hope this helps.
Keep the rubber side down.
Aren't most accidents supposed to happen within a 3 mile radius of your home?

Maybe touring's the key to survival? Stay clear of that 3 mile 'danger zone'!
Statistics is a very strange way to count. They can turn your brain to mush if you're not careful. Statistically, your very existence is impossible.

Turns out most accidents occur where you happen to be at the time.
Statistics is a very strange way to count. They can turn your brain to mush if you're not careful. Statistically, your very existence is impossible.

Turns out most accidents occur where you happen to be at the time.

I read somewhere once that 82% of statistics were made up! :-/
And 93.7% of people believe them :D

Speaking of acronyms, I just finished a 4 day class on Internet and mainframe security procedures. I don't think I have uttered an acronym-free sentence since last Sunday.
 
Back
Top