Fear of death or injury

Like others have noted, on days that I *don't* have a sense of mortality, I park the motorcycle. I also get around a lot in crowded city traffic by bicycle, which IMHO is far more risky than a motorcycle since one can only stop or get out of the way because there's no 'power ahead' option.
Nowadays when I go out on a motorcycle I wear one of those off-road neck braces, a pair of those off-road rigid articulated knee braces, and road boots that have stiff ankle twist protection. None of these things will help in a high speed wreck or if I get run over, but they may save some crucial joints in a low speed or no-speed spill...
I look kind of strange in all that gear, but it's my life and limbs :-)
 
Tortuga_imp said:
wayne van horn_imp said:
The only thing you have too fear is fear itself
And being mangled by a truck.
And being mangled by a truck.
It happened around here a year or so ago, Early morning, pickup and motorcycle wreck, 18 wheeler came over a hill saw the pickup and bike, did not see the guy lying in the road and ran over him.:s
 
Thread starter
Gingersdaddy_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
wayne van horn_imp said:
The only thing you have too fear is fear itself
And being mangled by a truck.
And being mangled by a truck.
It happened around here a year or so ago, Early morning, pickup and motorcycle wreck, 18 wheeler came over a hill saw the pickup and bike, did not see the guy lying in the road and ran over him.:s
And being mangled by a truck.
It happened around here a year or so ago, Early morning, pickup and motorcycle wreck, 18 wheeler came over a hill saw the pickup and bike, did not see the guy lying in the road and ran over him.:s

Yikes! See I told ya!

Actually that's one of my worst fears, survive the fall then get squished.
 
it took a wreck for me to realize these things are VERY dangerous. It woke me up very quickly, now I ride nice & slow, and if I'm in the mood for go-fast fun I head to the track.

My fear isn't going too fast and blowing a corner in the mountains, I'm afraid of some jacka## texting and ramming me, or crossing into my lane, or blowing a red light. Since all of my fears are car-related I try to ride wayyy out of the city and get away from cars to minimize my risk.

I've always said that if you take drugs/alcohol & breaking traffic laws out of the equation bikes become much safer ("safe" being a relative term).

And I already ride 100% geared up...
 
Thread starter
12cb96vfr_imp said:
it took a wreck for me to realize these things are VERY dangerous. It woke me up very quickly, now I ride nice & slow, and if I'm in the mood for go-fast fun I head to the track.

My fear isn't going too fast and blowing a corner in the mountains, I'm afraid of some jacka## texting and ramming me, or crossing into my lane, or blowing a red light. Since all of my fears are car-related I try to ride wayyy out of the city and get away from cars to minimize my risk.

I've always said that if you take drugs/alcohol & breaking traffic laws out of the equation bikes become much safer ("safe" being a relative term).

And I already ride 100% geared up...
Would it be vulgar to ask what happened to you? (In the wreck)
 
I have 30K miles on motorcycles in 30 yrs, never occurs to me that motorcycle is dangerous in the front part of the brain, but in the back I know it is dangerous, one hit and it is merde. I ask one 71 yrs old rider what he feels about riding, he says it is not more dangerous than riding the car even he had a titanium rod in his leg from a motorcycle crash.

Last week, I see a girl almost hit a rider from behind at 35 MPH on an empty street because of unknown reason, the rider never realizes he is in close call on his Reptol CBR250.

I hone my skill freequently, dont like ride on highway except on right lane. Motorcycling is a fun outlet, not a transportation.

On highway: keep 150ft or more and don't allow tailgate. so is city riding - a safe distance. In short, don't assume anything. Keep your eyes on rear mirrors.
 
Last year, my wife and I were in a horrible hit and run car accident. Over the guard rail and into the trees. She has a permanently mangled but usable leg, and I walked away thanks to crumple zones, and no lack of amazing fortune. I will post photos of what is left of the car if anyone cares to see. The only the thing that got her through all the PT was the promise of riding the motorcycles again. Of course it is not safe, the car is not safe, but to us, it is worth it to know the freedom of the road and camaraderie of other fools like us.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I have watched the video and read all the post this sums it up
RIDE TO LIVE LIVE TO RIDE
YOU MEET THE NICEST PEOPLE ON A HONDA. :)
Michael


3 rights make a left
 
Read the post. Won't watch the video. I try to control what I can control, anticipate what I can't control, and enjoy the ride.
 
My first five years of riding brought home the realities of sharing the road with mindless cagers, and also the consequences of just doing stupid stuff on two wheels. Several high and medium speed getoffs left me with time (while healing) to think about the real risks.

While those experiences drastically changed the way I went about riding, I don't think I ever considered selling the bike and taking up basket weaving. In the risk / reward equation, riding is just too rewarding to give up. Instead, I've done everything I can do to minimize the risks, mostly by altering the way I ride. So far, so good. I ride just about every day and it's been well over 25 yrs. since I put a scratch on a bike (although cagers try to put a scratch on me at least once a week).

If I decided to sell my plane and bikes to live a low risk lifestyle, I'd be dead of boredom within a year :D
 
Riding bike is like flying fighter jets in combat. Experience and training is the key to raising your odds of survival. Second do not do stupid things, drinking, drugs, driving tired, not sure about the cell phone in helmet comm systems.

Drive like they are all out to kill you, and drive in 3 second increments for survival.

It is more dangerous now than 40 years ago when I started, no cell phones then, huge SUVs, and a lot less traffic. Also don't buy a biker bigger and more powerful than you can handle. A 750 was big then, now hard to find a bike that small and that good.

That video is full of people doing mostly stupid things, or very inexperienced. In many countries I visit there is no training for car lisences let alone motorcycles. Other countries licenses for cars and motorcycles are tough to get (Germany and Japan).

I'm not going to stop riding, if combat did not kill me, and if I fear to ride, life just is not worth living. As there are few things that give me greater joy.

Heads up, use mirrors, keep bike maintained, wits always keen. ENJOY!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Fear? death? Injury? Yes but do not dwell on it. Ive had numerous saves both on race track and real road situations and actually crashed a month ago but riding to me is a constant study in honing ones skill to stay alive and to keep it up right, I love it and it challenges me on a daily basis. I know the dangers & I know of videos on the interweb but I choose to rather watch girls on trampolines or these types

 
“I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time.”

― Jack London
 
Thread starter
Red Mist_imp said:
“I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time.”

― Jack London
How has that escaped my attention all these years? What an excellent verse!

I'm cutting that out and sticking it on my wall! No wait... :(
Elipten_imp said:
Riding bike is like flying fighter jets in combat. Experience and training is the key to raising your odds of survival. Second do not do stupid things, drinking, drugs, driving tired, not sure about the cell phone in helmet comm systems.

Drive like they are all out to kill you, and drive in 3 second increments for survival.

It is more dangerous now than 40 years ago when I started, no cell phones then, huge SUVs, and a lot less traffic. Also don't buy a biker bigger and more powerful than you can handle. A 750 was big then, now hard to find a bike that small and that good.

That video is full of people doing mostly stupid things, or very inexperienced. In many countries I visit there is no training for car lisences let alone motorcycles. Other countries licenses for cars and motorcycles are tough to get (Germany and Japan).

I'm not going to stop riding, if combat did not kill me, and if I fear to ride, life just is not worth living. As there are few things that give me greater joy.

Heads up, use mirrors, keep bike maintained, wits always keen. ENJOY!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think I know who you are;

lola_imp said:
Fear? death? Injury? Yes but do not dwell on it. Ive had numerous saves both on race track and real road situations and actually crashed a month ago but riding to me is a constant study in honing ones skill to stay alive and to keep it up right, I love it and it challenges me on a daily basis. I know the dangers & I know of videos on the interweb but I choose to rather watch girls on trampolines or these types

Holy smokes! Why didn't someone tell me bikes that good were available? Those things are 'wheelie monsters'!!

I'm selling my CB and buying one of those! :D

Now, back to my basket weaving ...
Flynrider_imp said:
My first five years of riding brought home the realities of sharing the road with mindless cagers, and also the consequences of just doing stupid stuff on two wheels. Several high and medium speed getoffs left me with time (while healing) to think about the real risks.

While those experiences drastically changed the way I went about riding, I don't think I ever considered selling the bike and taking up basket weaving. In the risk / reward equation, riding is just too rewarding to give up. Instead, I've done everything I can do to minimize the risks, mostly by altering the way I ride. So far, so good. I ride just about every day and it's been well over 25 yrs. since I put a scratch on a bike (although cagers try to put a scratch on me at least once a week).

If I decided to sell my plane and bikes to live a low risk lifestyle, I'd be dead of boredom within a year :D
Pilot, Lais c'est fiat attitude to life, this wouldn't be you, would it?
8688ce3c07ea6c89ffc2283b8684bf7d.jpg
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Red Mist_imp said:
“I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time.”

― Jack London
How has that escaped my attention all these years? What an excellent verse!

I'm cutting that out and sticking it on my wall! No wait... :(
Elipten_imp said:
Riding bike is like flying fighter jets in combat. Experience and training is the key to raising your odds of survival. Second do not do stupid things, drinking, drugs, driving tired, not sure about the cell phone in helmet comm systems.

Drive like they are all out to kill you, and drive in 3 second increments for survival.

It is more dangerous now than 40 years ago when I started, no cell phones then, huge SUVs, and a lot less traffic. Also don't buy a biker bigger and more powerful than you can handle. A 750 was big then, now hard to find a bike that small and that good.

That video is full of people doing mostly stupid things, or very inexperienced. In many countries I visit there is no training for car lisences let alone motorcycles. Other countries licenses for cars and motorcycles are tough to get (Germany and Japan).

I'm not going to stop riding, if combat did not kill me, and if I fear to ride, life just is not worth living. As there are few things that give me greater joy.

Heads up, use mirrors, keep bike maintained, wits always keen. ENJOY!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think I know who you are;

lola_imp said:
Fear? death? Injury? Yes but do not dwell on it. Ive had numerous saves both on race track and real road situations and actually crashed a month ago but riding to me is a constant study in honing ones skill to stay alive and to keep it up right, I love it and it challenges me on a daily basis. I know the dangers & I know of videos on the interweb but I choose to rather watch girls on trampolines or these types

Holy smokes! Why didn't someone tell me bikes that good were available? Those things are 'wheelie monsters'!!

I'm selling my CB and buying one of those! :D

Now, back to my basket weaving ...
Flynrider_imp said:
My first five years of riding brought home the realities of sharing the road with mindless cagers, and also the consequences of just doing stupid stuff on two wheels. Several high and medium speed getoffs left me with time (while healing) to think about the real risks.

While those experiences drastically changed the way I went about riding, I don't think I ever considered selling the bike and taking up basket weaving. In the risk / reward equation, riding is just too rewarding to give up. Instead, I've done everything I can do to minimize the risks, mostly by altering the way I ride. So far, so good. I ride just about every day and it's been well over 25 yrs. since I put a scratch on a bike (although cagers try to put a scratch on me at least once a week).

If I decided to sell my plane and bikes to live a low risk lifestyle, I'd be dead of boredom within a year :D
Pilot, Lais c'est fiat attitude to life, this wouldn't be you, would it?
8688ce3c07ea6c89ffc2283b8684bf7d.jpg
Nope. Most people think I'm a bit nuttier than that guy :P
 
Thread starter
Flynrider_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
Red Mist_imp said:
“I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time.”

― Jack London
How has that escaped my attention all these years? What an excellent verse!

I'm cutting that out and sticking it on my wall! No wait... :(
Elipten_imp said:
Riding bike is like flying fighter jets in combat. Experience and training is the key to raising your odds of survival. Second do not do stupid things, drinking, drugs, driving tired, not sure about the cell phone in helmet comm systems.

Drive like they are all out to kill you, and drive in 3 second increments for survival.

It is more dangerous now than 40 years ago when I started, no cell phones then, huge SUVs, and a lot less traffic. Also don't buy a biker bigger and more powerful than you can handle. A 750 was big then, now hard to find a bike that small and that good.

That video is full of people doing mostly stupid things, or very inexperienced. In many countries I visit there is no training for car lisences let alone motorcycles. Other countries licenses for cars and motorcycles are tough to get (Germany and Japan).

I'm not going to stop riding, if combat did not kill me, and if I fear to ride, life just is not worth living. As there are few things that give me greater joy.

Heads up, use mirrors, keep bike maintained, wits always keen. ENJOY!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think I know who you are;

lola_imp said:
Fear? death? Injury? Yes but do not dwell on it. Ive had numerous saves both on race track and real road situations and actually crashed a month ago but riding to me is a constant study in honing ones skill to stay alive and to keep it up right, I love it and it challenges me on a daily basis. I know the dangers & I know of videos on the interweb but I choose to rather watch girls on trampolines or these types

Holy smokes! Why didn't someone tell me bikes that good were available? Those things are 'wheelie monsters'!!

I'm selling my CB and buying one of those! :D

Now, back to my basket weaving ...
Flynrider_imp said:
My first five years of riding brought home the realities of sharing the road with mindless cagers, and also the consequences of just doing stupid stuff on two wheels. Several high and medium speed getoffs left me with time (while healing) to think about the real risks.

While those experiences drastically changed the way I went about riding, I don't think I ever considered selling the bike and taking up basket weaving. In the risk / reward equation, riding is just too rewarding to give up. Instead, I've done everything I can do to minimize the risks, mostly by altering the way I ride. So far, so good. I ride just about every day and it's been well over 25 yrs. since I put a scratch on a bike (although cagers try to put a scratch on me at least once a week).

If I decided to sell my plane and bikes to live a low risk lifestyle, I'd be dead of boredom within a year :D
Pilot, Lais c'est fiat attitude to life, this wouldn't be you, would it?
8688ce3c07ea6c89ffc2283b8684bf7d.jpg
Nope. Most people think I'm a bit nuttier than that guy :P
Nope. Most people think I'm a bit nuttier than that guy :P
Lol, what are you like eh? :clap:

So.. Can you loop the loop on your CB11 yet?
 
Back
Top