Farklin the Fourteen

Thread starter
ss2wheels_imp said:
Ferrit, put a small piece of rubber hose on your spare key and it wont scratch anything, just slide it off when you need to.:idea:
Dang, why didn't I think of that? Sometimes the best solutions are the simplest. Good plan SS, one I will implement. Thanks!
 
The ferret_imp said:
Aussie easiest way if you have an air compressor is to remove bar ends weights then blow off old grips by wedging air nozzle under outside lip of grip. When you hit it with air, it will expand and pull right off..almost fly off as a matter of fact. Then start the new grip on, stick the air chuck in , kind of close the end of the grip around it and blow the new ones on. OR spray some hair spray or contact cleaner in the new grips, sling out amy excess and slide those puppies on. Be careful not to get the throttle side tight against the throttle housing which may keep the throttle from returning.

If you don't care to save the old grips and don't have air, you can always use a razor blade and slice them off. Remember there is a plastic throttle tube under the throttle grip.

Then put your bar end weights back on

( I use the air from the other end not like this guy but you get the drift)


Thanks for the tip. I don't have compressed air but the old grips came off easily with a bit of WD40 and a thin screwdriver. New grips feel good :thumbsup: Not quite the same as having a whole new bike though!
 
Ferret & Aussie, can you tell me why you've replaced the grips?
 
Thread starter
Personally, I really like the feel of the 719 Progrip. I've used them on every bike I've owned including the scooters for years. I have them on my ST and on my wife's Majesty too. The only exception was the Bonnie which had 1" bars. A little softer and stickier than the Honda grip and being a gel grip maybe that's why I don't feel the vibes thru the grips that some people speak about.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Ferret & Aussie, can you tell me why you've replaced the grips?
The OEM grips are ok; I was just looking for something a bit softer and with a bit more grip. I saw them on Ferret's bike and thought I'd give them a go.

Just installed tonight, was easy and quick. Went for a quick spin, new grips and now sans Dart. First impressions are good in terms of comfort so I'm happy.

A cheap little mod and a bit of fun allowing me to tinker around a bit... allows me to put off spending big $$ on a new seat, headers, luggage etc etc!!!
 
Ferret, Wow!, that's how to share info. Great photos, descriptions, it helps a lot. Thank you!
BTW, where can I get the shock spanner for a 2013? I need to tighten mine up a tad.
 
Thread starter
howlindaug_imp said:
Ferret, Wow!, that's how to share info. Great photos, descriptions, it helps a lot. Thank you!
BTW, where can I get the shock spanner for a 2013? I need to tighten mine up a tad.
Ill take a pic of the things in my tool kit. I got everything I needed at a little speed shop up the road that buys wrecks and redoes them ... buckets full of stock Japanese tool kit tools cheap. 25-50 cents each. You might ask at your motorcycle shop if they have any old tool kits laying around or if there is a bike junkyard nearby they would have them too. I got shock spanner, axle wrench and extender, 8 and 10 mm wrenches etc.. Everything I need to adjust shocks or chain on road for like $4
 
The ferret_imp said:
howlindaug_imp said:
Ferret, Wow!, that's how to share info. Great photos, descriptions, it helps a lot. Thank you!
BTW, where can I get the shock spanner for a 2013? I need to tighten mine up a tad.
Ill take a pic of the things in my tool kit. I got everything I needed at a little speed shop up the road that buys wrecks and redoes them ... buckets full of stock Japanese tool kit tools cheap. 25-50 cents each. You might ask at your motorcycle shop if they have any old tool kits laying around or if there is a bike junkyard nearby they would have them too. I got shock spanner, axle wrench and extender, 8 and 10 mm wrenches etc.. Everything I need to adjust shocks or chain on road for like $4
I'm still using the tool kit that came with my 1978 GS1000. Bike was totalled but I kept the tools.
 
* note.. just found another difference between 13 and 14. My 13 had a rear axle nut that requires 32 mm wrench. The 14 has a rear axle nut that requires a 27mm wrench so I have to go find a new wrench lol. [/QUOTE said:
It never ends, that's the fun of owning a bike.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Personally, I really like the feel of the 719 Progrip. I've used them on every bike I've owned including the scooters for years. I have them on my ST and on my wife's Majesty too. The only exception was the Bonnie which had 1" bars. A little softer and stickier than the Honda grip and being a gel grip maybe that's why I don't feel the vibes thru the grips that some people speak about.
Aussie_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Ferret & Aussie, can you tell me why you've replaced the grips?
The OEM grips are ok; I was just looking for something a bit softer and with a bit more grip. I saw them on Ferret's bike and thought I'd give them a go.

Just installed tonight, was easy and quick. Went for a quick spin, new grips and now sans Dart. First impressions are good in terms of comfort so I'm happy.

A cheap little mod and a bit of fun allowing me to tinker around a bit... allows me to put off spending big $$ on a new seat, headers, luggage etc etc!!!
Thank you, gentlemen. :thanks:
 
Thread starter
I'd have taken longer but it only took me 25 secs to watch CIPs video ;)
 
I haven't taken delivery of my 2014 yet so I've been scrolling through the various threads and reading about the many mods and add-ons you guys have done.
Wow, what a lot of experiences and choices - and what a great bunch of super looking bikes!! Great stuff :thumbsup:
It's going to be fun this summer fitting my bike out to suit my tastes.
 
Thread starter
CIP57_imp said:
* note.. just found another difference between 13 and 14. My 13 had a rear axle nut that requires 32 mm wrench. The 14 has a rear axle nut that requires a 27mm wrench so I have to go find a new wrench lol. [/QUOTE said:
It never ends, that's the fun of owning a bike.
It never ends, that's the fun of owning a bike.

Also the left side rear axle nut was a 27 now its a 22mm and the tightening spec has changed from iirc 85 ft lbs on the 13 down to 69 ft lbs for the 14
Of course one of my favorite farkles is my soft luggage..for my local riding this includes a small magnetic Cortech tank bag and a medium sized Cortech bungie on tail pack



[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/april10033_zps5f701796.jpg.html]

to protect the paint from damage by my zipper/belt , knees or the tank bags I will be protecting at risk areas with clear sheeting. here are my templates for the sheeting.

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/imagejpg1_zps50628425.jpg.html]
 
Back
Top