False neutral?

HikerToo_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Anyone ever have this happen?
Come to a stop, in first gear, clutch pulled in.
Shift in to neutral, neutral light is on
Put the kick stand down
Let out the clutch
And the bike starts to lurch forward, like its in gear still !

Then I came back to bike later, turn key on, neutral light is on
Press starter button and bike lurches forward off of sidestand....
caught it just in time, but it almost fell over.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Anyone ever have this happen?
Come to a stop, in first gear, clutch pulled in.
Shift in to neutral, neutral light is on
Put the kick stand down
Let out the clutch
And the bike starts to lurch forward, like its in gear still !

Then I came back to bike later, turn key on, neutral light is on
Press starter button and bike lurches forward off of sidestand....
caught it just in time, but it almost fell over.
I am trying to remember if I ever had any Honda motorcycle that didn't have this, um, characterstic.

6 of them over 4 decades, they all did this..
CB1100 is #7, I guess it's matter time before it gives me the false neutral 'welcome' :-)
 
I haven't had that happen yet. But I'll be on the lookout now!
 
Yep , I have. One must be vigilant. It "feels" different on my bike when it goes into a false neutral, so I am used to it and recognize it in time. it does get better with miles.........
Besides, who wants a perfect bike??
 
Had a bike for quite a while that used the left hand to operate the side stand so that put me in the habit of finding neutral and letting go of the clutch first.
 
I don't consider that a characteristic, I consider that a serious flaw. Thankfully I've not had that happen, and I've got 800 miles on mine.
 
I haven't had it yet...or at least I don't think so. What I have noticed is coming up from first trying to get into N, it occasionally traverses into 2nd but a light tap down (as in just resting your foot on the shifter) puts it into N, or so the flickering light says. Since my last bike had a heck of a time finding Neutral, I don't really trust it when that happens and have been programmed for a bit of a thunk signifying disengagement. However, this bike is starting to reprogram me, so it sounds like I better not get too lazy.
 
No false neutrals here but Im a pretty deliberate shifter.
 
terrydlargo_imp said:
I don't consider that a characteristic, I consider that a serious flaw. Thankfully I've not had that happen, and I've got 800 miles on mine.
It is not a 'characteristic', it is an 'um, characteristic'.

Big difference !
 
You mean it didn't shut off?! Mine if it is anywhere near a gear and I try to put the side stand down the bike shuts off. I was shown that feature at the dealership... plus it happened to me one day getting to work. I put the side stand down before the bike was shut down and the bike turned off...

Wonder if there is a switch out of sync that is why it is showing to be in neutral but actually in some gear or another...
 
I put my stand down all the time and leave the bike running. I also start it up with the bike on the stand.

I'm out of town and thus don't have access to the owners manual, but there is some discussion in there about the stand and the clutch and being in gear. Sombody look it up for us!!
 
Very weird! I read this post yesterday and I had never heard of that happening before.

Fast forward to this afternoon on my CB750. I pulled up to a long light and after plenty of cars had stopped behind me, I decided to shift into neutral to give my clutch hand a rest. I shifted up, the neutral light came on and when I started to release the clutch lever, the bike started moving forward. Imagine my surprise! Just for fun I put the sidestand down and the bike kept running. It really thought it was in neutral.

One thing I can verify was that the false neutral was the result of a half-hearted attempt to shift up to neutral. I already had my foot on the ground and just picked it up quickly to make the shift. It didn't feel quite right, but since the neutral light came on i didn't give it a second thought.

So, I'll confirm it's possible to do this, but it's the first time it has happened to me and I've been riding that bike for 17 yrs. I think there may be a spot where the neutral light and safety switch are triggered, but the tranny did not quite make it out of 1st gear.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I put my stand down all the time and leave the bike running. I also start it up with the bike on the stand.

I'm out of town and thus don't have access to the owners manual, but there is some discussion in there about the stand and the clutch and being in gear. Sombody look it up for us!!
If the bike is in neutral w/ the stand deployed the engine will keep running. If you try to shift into gear w/ the stand still down the engine will shut off.
 
oldyaler_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I put my stand down all the time and leave the bike running. I also start it up with the bike on the stand.

I'm out of town and thus don't have access to the owners manual, but there is some discussion in there about the stand and the clutch and being in gear. Sombody look it up for us!!
If the bike is in neutral w/ the stand deployed the engine will keep running. If you try to shift into gear w/ the stand still down the engine will shut off.
If the bike is in neutral w/ the stand deployed the engine will keep running. If you try to shift into gear w/ the stand still down the engine will shut off.
The same thing if you are in gear and put the side stand down it will shut off.



Regarding the one rider who has the CB750, not sure if that was a feature with that bike or not with shutting it down when in gear and putting the side stand down.
 
dBuster_imp said:
oldyaler_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I put my stand down all the time and leave the bike running. I also start it up with the bike on the stand.

I'm out of town and thus don't have access to the owners manual, but there is some discussion in there about the stand and the clutch and being in gear. Sombody look it up for us!!
If the bike is in neutral w/ the stand deployed the engine will keep running. If you try to shift into gear w/ the stand still down the engine will shut off.
If the bike is in neutral w/ the stand deployed the engine will keep running. If you try to shift into gear w/ the stand still down the engine will shut off.
The same thing if you are in gear and put the side stand down it will shut off.



Regarding the one rider who has the CB750, not sure if that was a feature with that bike or not with shutting it down when in gear and putting the side stand down.
Yep. CB750 has the same switch setup as the CB11. If you're in neutral, bike will start and run, stand up or down. If you shift into gear from neutral with the sidestand down, the bike dies. If you put down the sidestand while in gear, the bike dies.
 
Back
Top