Fall Smokey Mtn Trip

Chapomis_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
The Mrs & I left the Cape at 6am this morning on our way to visit the grand babies in Raleigh. For our overnight stopping point we chose Berlin, MD. What a beautiful historic town...and its bike week/fiddle week. Will post pictures later. Next week we head to Asheville, then onto Murphy for a week. Blue Ridge Pky time :banana:
 
BRP? I hear thats a beautiful road. Have fun Chapomis and keep us informed as to how it's going.
 
You on the CB this time, Chapomis? I hope so. Love the BRP.
 
Thread starter
4 Paws_imp said:
I live at mm199 on the BRP (Hwy 52) if you want any local info.
Thanks 4 Paws, I do have a question. At some point we will be crossing the mountains to go to Knoxville. We are driving a big car and towing a short, but wide trailer and I definitely want to avoid crossing via the Dragon (I don't like holding up traffic). The question is if the 441 out of Cherokee would be good or is it better to go a few miles further and cross on Interstate 40 ?
Cormanus_imp said:
You on the CB this time, Chapomis? I hope so. Love the BRP.
No......brought the Spyder with us this time. I do plan on trailering the CB for the next Rally and I will most likely bring my son along. ACK has a trailer now as well, he threatening to be there as well.
 
Thread starter
Awesome Chapomis and great pics! Just look at those mountains.
 
Great photos. The weather looks superb. Shame about Eric's mirror. That's a good looking machine you have there. Looks to be about a 1500mile round trip. A good ride. Stay safe and enjoy. I will look forward to more.

Cheers
 
Chapomis_imp said:
The Mrs & I left the Cape at 6am this morning on our way to visit the grand babies in Raleigh. For our overnight stopping point we chose Berlin, MD. What a beautiful historic town...and its bike week/fiddle week. Will post pictures later. Next week we head to Asheville, then onto Murphy for a week. Blue Ridge Pky time :banana:
Chapomis... question. I see that your wife rides with you on the CamAm, which is great. But does she ride with you on any other regular motorcycle? Your CB or any other one you might have? My wife, who used to ride with me back when we were 'kids'... on my Kawasaki H1 no less, won't ride with me anymore. She told me that if I would buy a CanAm, she'd probably do it. Is that why you have the CanAm? So she'll ride with you? Because obviously you can handle a regular bike... Just curious. I don't need 4 bikes... so if I bought one, one of the others would have to go. Not the CB! And probably not the KLR... but I like my Harley too and for real highway travel, that is my bike of choice.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Lovely photos Alan. Your post brings back many pleasant memories of last May's trip.
Hear, hear.
 
Thread starter
ride4now_imp said:
Chapomis_imp said:
The Mrs & I left the Cape at 6am this morning on our way to visit the grand babies in Raleigh. For our overnight stopping point we chose Berlin, MD. What a beautiful historic town...and its bike week/fiddle week. Will post pictures later. Next week we head to Asheville, then onto Murphy for a week. Blue Ridge Pky time :banana:
Chapomis... question. I see that your wife rides with you on the CamAm, which is great. But does she ride with you on any other regular motorcycle? Your CB or any other one you might have? My wife, who used to ride with me back when we were 'kids'... on my Kawasaki H1 no less, won't ride with me anymore. She told me that if I would buy a CanAm, she'd probably do it. Is that why you have the CanAm? So she'll ride with you? Because obviously you can handle a regular bike... Just curious. I don't need 4 bikes... so if I bought one, one of the others would have to go. Not the CB! And probably not the KLR... but I like my Harley too and for real highway travel, that is my bike of choice.
Chapomis... question. I see that your wife rides with you on the CamAm, which is great. But does she ride with you on any other regular motorcycle? Your CB or any other one you might have? My wife, who used to ride with me back when we were 'kids'... on my Kawasaki H1 no less, won't ride with me anymore. She told me that if I would buy a CanAm, she'd probably do it. Is that why you have the CanAm? So she'll ride with you? Because obviously you can handle a regular bike... Just curious. I don't need 4 bikes... so if I bought one, one of the others would have to go. Not the CB! And probably not the KLR... but I like my Harley too and for real highway travel, that is my bike of choice.
Yes and no. The Mrs. Feels super safe on the Spyder, especially on the highway, but will ride pretty much any bike I offer her a ride on, but last year we decided if we wanted to spend more than 3 to 4 hours riding that a trike would suit us better. I test rode a Harley first, but other than the sound I wasn't impressed. We found a place that had a demo Spyder and we both fell in love with it within the first mile, awesome all day 2up ride! Buy in the late fall, hugh discounts. I bought the demo for 5k under sticker. With the CB in the stable, my Harley hardly gets out any more.
Today we sought out some waterfalls. We headed to Franklin via mostly highway from Cherokee, but they were twisty highways :) Then on to Highlands on US 64/ NC 28. The stretch between Franklin and Highlands is excellent ! It follows a river uphill the whole way to Highlands and the curves rivaled Dragons, but much more picturesque in that there a 4 different sets of waterfalls along the way. We did a lot of pull offs for picture taking and arrived in Highlands just in time for lunch. Nice town with a lot to offer.

This is "Dry Falls"



Stopped at Bridal Veil Falls.....the Mrs was po'd. Said it should be renamed "Dribble Falls"

[url=http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/aswreed/media/6096E870-39B9-4172-9835-CF587275A797_zps2n10hmjn.jpg.html]

Lunch

[url=http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/aswreed/media/59BD4CC0-2C11-49D2-9491-69424CF76BB8_zpsuuk6cqvi.jpg.html]
I really enjoyed the ride back down and no stops and no traffic in front of me :clap:

Suppose to rain for the next 2 days so we are headed over to Asheville to hang out at the Biltmore....stopping at Wheels Through Time on the way, cheers :beerchug:
 
Chapomis_imp said:
ride4now_imp said:
Chapomis_imp said:
The Mrs & I left the Cape at 6am this morning on our way to visit the grand babies in Raleigh. For our overnight stopping point we chose Berlin, MD. What a beautiful historic town...and its bike week/fiddle week. Will post pictures later. Next week we head to Asheville, then onto Murphy for a week. Blue Ridge Pky time :banana:
Chapomis... question. I see that your wife rides with you on the CamAm, which is great. But does she ride with you on any other regular motorcycle? Your CB or any other one you might have? My wife, who used to ride with me back when we were 'kids'... on my Kawasaki H1 no less, won't ride with me anymore. She told me that if I would buy a CanAm, she'd probably do it. Is that why you have the CanAm? So she'll ride with you? Because obviously you can handle a regular bike... Just curious. I don't need 4 bikes... so if I bought one, one of the others would have to go. Not the CB! And probably not the KLR... but I like my Harley too and for real highway travel, that is my bike of choice.
Chapomis... question. I see that your wife rides with you on the CamAm, which is great. But does she ride with you on any other regular motorcycle? Your CB or any other one you might have? My wife, who used to ride with me back when we were 'kids'... on my Kawasaki H1 no less, won't ride with me anymore. She told me that if I would buy a CanAm, she'd probably do it. Is that why you have the CanAm? So she'll ride with you? Because obviously you can handle a regular bike... Just curious. I don't need 4 bikes... so if I bought one, one of the others would have to go. Not the CB! And probably not the KLR... but I like my Harley too and for real highway travel, that is my bike of choice.
Yes and no. The Mrs. Feels super safe on the Spyder, especially on the highway, but will ride pretty much any bike I offer her a ride on, but last year we decided if we wanted to spend more than 3 to 4 hours riding that a trike would suit us better. I test rode a Harley first, but other than the sound I wasn't impressed. We found a place that had a demo Spyder and we both fell in love with it within the first mile, awesome all day 2up ride! Buy in the late fall, hugh discounts. I bought the demo for 5k under sticker. With the CB in the stable, my Harley hardly gets out any more.
Today we sought out some waterfalls. We headed to Franklin via mostly highway from Cherokee, but they were twisty highways :) Then on to Highlands on US 64/ NC 28. The stretch between Franklin and Highlands is excellent ! It follows a river uphill the whole way to Highlands and the curves rivaled Dragons, but much more picturesque in that there a 4 different sets of waterfalls along the way. We did a lot of pull offs for picture taking and arrived in Highlands just in time for lunch. Nice town with a lot to offer.

This is "Dry Falls"



Stopped at Bridal Veil Falls.....the Mrs was po'd. Said it should be renamed "Dribble Falls"

[url=http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/aswreed/media/6096E870-39B9-4172-9835-CF587275A797_zps2n10hmjn.jpg.html]

Lunch

[url=http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/aswreed/media/59BD4CC0-2C11-49D2-9491-69424CF76BB8_zpsuuk6cqvi.jpg.html]
I really enjoyed the ride back down and no stops and no traffic in front of me :clap:

Suppose to rain for the next 2 days so we are headed over to Asheville to hang out at the Biltmore....stopping at Wheels Through Time on the way, cheers :beerchug:

Oh mate, I would never ever have picked you as a bomb thrower. :)

Cheers
And very, very nice falls photo. Lucky you, when Cormanus and I were on that road we had to put up with a fair amount of (slow) tourist type traffic.

Cheers again.
 
Thread starter
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Chapomis_imp said:
ride4now_imp said:
Chapomis_imp said:
The Mrs & I left the Cape at 6am this morning on our way to visit the grand babies in Raleigh. For our overnight stopping point we chose Berlin, MD. What a beautiful historic town...and its bike week/fiddle week. Will post pictures later. Next week we head to Asheville, then onto Murphy for a week. Blue Ridge Pky time :banana:
Chapomis... question. I see that your wife rides with you on the CamAm, which is great. But does she ride with you on any other regular motorcycle? Your CB or any other one you might have? My wife, who used to ride with me back when we were 'kids'... on my Kawasaki H1 no less, won't ride with me anymore. She told me that if I would buy a CanAm, she'd probably do it. Is that why you have the CanAm? So she'll ride with you? Because obviously you can handle a regular bike... Just curious. I don't need 4 bikes... so if I bought one, one of the others would have to go. Not the CB! And probably not the KLR... but I like my Harley too and for real highway travel, that is my bike of choice.
Chapomis... question. I see that your wife rides with you on the CamAm, which is great. But does she ride with you on any other regular motorcycle? Your CB or any other one you might have? My wife, who used to ride with me back when we were 'kids'... on my Kawasaki H1 no less, won't ride with me anymore. She told me that if I would buy a CanAm, she'd probably do it. Is that why you have the CanAm? So she'll ride with you? Because obviously you can handle a regular bike... Just curious. I don't need 4 bikes... so if I bought one, one of the others would have to go. Not the CB! And probably not the KLR... but I like my Harley too and for real highway travel, that is my bike of choice.
Yes and no. The Mrs. Feels super safe on the Spyder, especially on the highway, but will ride pretty much any bike I offer her a ride on, but last year we decided if we wanted to spend more than 3 to 4 hours riding that a trike would suit us better. I test rode a Harley first, but other than the sound I wasn't impressed. We found a place that had a demo Spyder and we both fell in love with it within the first mile, awesome all day 2up ride! Buy in the late fall, hugh discounts. I bought the demo for 5k under sticker. With the CB in the stable, my Harley hardly gets out any more.
Today we sought out some waterfalls. We headed to Franklin via mostly highway from Cherokee, but they were twisty highways :) Then on to Highlands on US 64/ NC 28. The stretch between Franklin and Highlands is excellent ! It follows a river uphill the whole way to Highlands and the curves rivaled Dragons, but much more picturesque in that there a 4 different sets of waterfalls along the way. We did a lot of pull offs for picture taking and arrived in Highlands just in time for lunch. Nice town with a lot to offer.

This is "Dry Falls"



Stopped at Bridal Veil Falls.....the Mrs was po'd. Said it should be renamed "Dribble Falls"

[url=http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/aswreed/media/6096E870-39B9-4172-9835-CF587275A797_zps2n10hmjn.jpg.html]

Lunch

[url=http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/aswreed/media/59BD4CC0-2C11-49D2-9491-69424CF76BB8_zpsuuk6cqvi.jpg.html]
I really enjoyed the ride back down and no stops and no traffic in front of me :clap:

Suppose to rain for the next 2 days so we are headed over to Asheville to hang out at the Biltmore....stopping at Wheels Through Time on the way, cheers :beerchug:

Oh mate, I would never ever have picked you as a bomb thrower. :)

Cheers
And very, very nice falls photo. Lucky you, when Cormanus and I were on that road we had to put up with a fair amount of (slow) tourist type traffic.

Cheers again.

Oh mate, I would never ever have picked you as a bomb thrower. :)

Cheers
And very, very nice falls photo. Lucky you, when Cormanus and I were on that road we had to put up with a fair amount of (slow) tourist type traffic.

Cheers again.
I'm a de-fenistrator from way back, just not in my own neighborhood:)

[url=http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/aswreed/media/Motorcycles/39FFEDCC-12A4-4131-BDA9-C9E236BD129B_zpsfqaqxsiw.jpg.html]
redbirds_imp said:
Looking forward to seeing you and Sparky next May. Going to drag my CB down along with my son and his T100.
 
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
Leaving FL. this Sat. the 26th for a week in the mtns.
I think there's 8 bikes going. Should be about 2,200 mile round frip.
Hoping for good weather ;)
Enjoy the ride and be good, or if you can't, be careful. Keep us posted.

Cheers
 
Well, I guess I'm too late to answer the question about 441 v. 40.
The rain for the next couple of days will change your trip a bit but it sure looks like you guys had great weather and got some good riding in for the first part. Hope you enjoyed it as much as it looks like you did. Enjoying the ride along.
Asheville is a great area to visit and the booming brewery and food scene is fueling an amazing growth.While you're wander the Asheville region check out neighboring Lake Lure area too.

My wife bought a Can-Am a while back, won't ride with me at all now. Fantastic machines, good fit and finish. My 3 wheel fix is a sidecar rig, concessions to Father Time come in many flavors.
 
Back
Top