GoldOxide_imp
Road warrior
" ... They call it paradise
I don't know why
You call someplace paradise
Kiss it goodbye "
I don't know why
You call someplace paradise
Kiss it goodbye "
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Haha...nice. I live next to Boring, Oregon. Guess what...it is!!!GoldOxide_imp said:" ... They call it paradise
I don't know why
You call someplace paradise
Kiss it goodbye "
You can be be forgiven, pdedse. I mean, the “p” is silent when spoken, is it not? One does not say “rasp-berry” but “rarzberry”? Actually, possibly “razberry” in the US.pdedse_imp said:Very interesting comments, thanks. From the satelite photo the lake did look a deeper than normal shade of blue...now I understand why. It seems the area is suffering through what other communities go through when the the "hidden gem-ness" factor loses the hidden part. Regardless, I think I'll put it on the map for a future motorcycle ride to enjoy the raspberries.Whoops_imp said:I have explored Utah extensively over the years and Bear Lake is a bit of a hidden gem, or used to be. I have been to Bear Lake many times. The first when I was about 8 for a Boy Scout camp. I got my lifesaving merit badge swimming in that lake while there was still ice floating during the spring thaw. It's a beautiful lake surrounded by a desert scrub. It's unusually tropical looking; a surreal blue due to the calcium carbonate in the water. The surrounding communities seem to be undergoing a gentrification (read turning into a resort town ala Jackson Hole) that is driving out people that have lived there for generations. Property values are rising rapidly in the name of second homes for out of state residents that don't stay around during the winter. As such the economy is undergoing a transition to a service industry based economy that mainly operates in the summer. That's ironic because in so doing, it is loosing the local flavor everyone presumably moved there for in the first place.pdedse_imp said:Sure. Looking West from the side of the road here...Whoops_imp said:Sure. Looking West from the side of the road here...pdedse_imp said:Whoops! That's a cool photo. Care to divulge location?
Google Maps
There is actually and you can see the road in the top left of the picture going up the side of the mountain. The road that runs West (N Ogden Canyon Rd) from those coordinates passes over those mountains that you see in the background. It's a bit twisty, but not extremely so. It does however have a very steep climb and then descent on the other side of the mountain.GoldOxide_imp said:Reminds me of a sort of "harvest valley".
Too bad a twisty doesn't wind through it?
Google Maps
...
Thanks! I rode and drove through Utah a few times, such a beautiful state. I wouldn't mind seeing more photos of your CB1100 out in the wilds, so to speak.
Your map got me exploring the area a bit. Zooming in and out, I'm drawn to bodies of water. I see Bear Lake in the NE corner. I've never even heard of it, but it looks cool from the satelite view. Ever been there?
On the bright side, the region is also known for some of the best tasting and coveted raspberries due to the cold nights and warm days. They have a very strong raspberry flavor and are a bit on the tart side. They make incredible tasting raspberry jam.
Relatedly, my wife and I are considering other areas besides Oregon for retirement. I have a riding buddy whose son lives in St. George, and he has suggested it as a place that we look at. It sure would give me the chance to explore Utah more. Difficult part is that the nearest airport is Las Vegas, just under 2 hrs away, and we would like to be nearer one. We'll see.
WAIT...is raspberry really written with a "p" in the middle of the word?! Supposedly, I'm a linguist and English major. I am shocked I just now realized the spelling of this yummie fruit. I mean, as a linguist who has studied the positions of the lips, tongue, parts of the mouth and how they work together to produce certain sounds, I can explain why the /p/ and /b/ sounds are physically so similar, but I just never realized there was a "p" in written form. Fascinating...and humbling!
... thad be Toronto.Lord Popgun_imp said:I thought they paved paradise and put up a parking lot…
Cool! That means you're not going to ban me from this phorum?Cormanus_imp said:You can be be forgiven, pdedse. I mean, the “p” is silent when spoken, is it not? One does not say “rasp-berry” but “rarzberry”? Actually, possibly “razberry” in the US.pdedse_imp said:Very interesting comments, thanks. From the satelite photo the lake did look a deeper than normal shade of blue...now I understand why. It seems the area is suffering through what other communities go through when the the "hidden gem-ness" factor loses the hidden part. Regardless, I think I'll put it on the map for a future motorcycle ride to enjoy the raspberries.Whoops_imp said:I have explored Utah extensively over the years and Bear Lake is a bit of a hidden gem, or used to be. I have been to Bear Lake many times. The first when I was about 8 for a Boy Scout camp. I got my lifesaving merit badge swimming in that lake while there was still ice floating during the spring thaw. It's a beautiful lake surrounded by a desert scrub. It's unusually tropical looking; a surreal blue due to the calcium carbonate in the water. The surrounding communities seem to be undergoing a gentrification (read turning into a resort town ala Jackson Hole) that is driving out people that have lived there for generations. Property values are rising rapidly in the name of second homes for out of state residents that don't stay around during the winter. As such the economy is undergoing a transition to a service industry based economy that mainly operates in the summer. That's ironic because in so doing, it is loosing the local flavor everyone presumably moved there for in the first place.pdedse_imp said:Sure. Looking West from the side of the road here...Whoops_imp said:Sure. Looking West from the side of the road here...pdedse_imp said:Whoops! That's a cool photo. Care to divulge location?
Google Maps
There is actually and you can see the road in the top left of the picture going up the side of the mountain. The road that runs West (N Ogden Canyon Rd) from those coordinates passes over those mountains that you see in the background. It's a bit twisty, but not extremely so. It does however have a very steep climb and then descent on the other side of the mountain.GoldOxide_imp said:Reminds me of a sort of "harvest valley".
Too bad a twisty doesn't wind through it?
Google Maps
...
Thanks! I rode and drove through Utah a few times, such a beautiful state. I wouldn't mind seeing more photos of your CB1100 out in the wilds, so to speak.
Your map got me exploring the area a bit. Zooming in and out, I'm drawn to bodies of water. I see Bear Lake in the NE corner. I've never even heard of it, but it looks cool from the satelite view. Ever been there?
On the bright side, the region is also known for some of the best tasting and coveted raspberries due to the cold nights and warm days. They have a very strong raspberry flavor and are a bit on the tart side. They make incredible tasting raspberry jam.
Relatedly, my wife and I are considering other areas besides Oregon for retirement. I have a riding buddy whose son lives in St. George, and he has suggested it as a place that we look at. It sure would give me the chance to explore Utah more. Difficult part is that the nearest airport is Las Vegas, just under 2 hrs away, and we would like to be nearer one. We'll see.
WAIT...is raspberry really written with a "p" in the middle of the word?! Supposedly, I'm a linguist and English major. I am shocked I just now realized the spelling of this yummie fruit. I mean, as a linguist who has studied the positions of the lips, tongue, parts of the mouth and how they work together to produce certain sounds, I can explain why the /p/ and /b/ sounds are physically so similar, but I just never realized there was a "p" in written form. Fascinating...and humbling!
Dang someone has a lot of leaves to pick up.pdedse_imp said:Couldn't resist one more...
![]()
Did you drag the knee going around the bend?pdedse_imp said:Couldn't resist one more...
![]()

Well, I would have had it not been for the wet leaves and the sun in my eyes.GoldOxide_imp said:Did you drag the knee going around the bend?pdedse_imp said:Couldn't resist one more...
![]()
![]()
Well, I would have had it not been for the wet leaves and the sun in my eyes.pdedse_imp said:Well, I would have had it not been for the wet leaves and the sun in my eyes.GoldOxide_imp said:Did you drag the knee going around the bend?pdedse_imp said:Couldn't resist one more...
![]()
![]()

Looks as if a gigantic troll has ripped the rider off the bike, just leaving the frozen hands and gloves stuck on the handle bar. Then the bike rolled to the side of the street and became a warning to fellow riders. Do Not Ride Here .... grrrrThe ferret_imp said:Our leaves are starting to turn but we are still a couple weeks away from peak I would say
![]()
![]()
pictures please, on and off trees ...GoldOxide_imp said:In my local region of southern Ontario, Canada - acorn production has been the highest since I can remember.
Be safe affected riders.