Eye Balls

gmike_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I am 72. 6 years ago was the 1st time I went for an eye exam. The Dr. said my eyes were off enough to effect my depth perception. So I got my 1st pair of prescription glasses. The 1st time on the bike after that was like seeing in 3D again. Cornering was so much clearer it is hard to describe. It made an enormous difference riding.

I just went in for another exam. Believe it or not, my eyes got slightly better and a new prescription was in order. Haven't been able to test it riding yet (weather) but driving is very clear again.

The eye exam was covered by Medicare. I had to pay an extra $36 for the prescription. Then around $125-$150 to get it filled at Walmart-Costco. Well worth it for me.

This crept up on me.

Mike
 
Don't need glasses for most things (computer, reading) but for driving, especially at night, I need them to read signs. For fine print, especially if small or if the light is low I need cheaters.

You're lucky to have lasted this long. :D
Just to add, the last two prescriptions I've had to use bifocals (I get to use progressives). Helps to keep the instrument panel in focus and see down the road.
 
Near vision has gone down hill last couple of years. Have to use 1.50 non Rx reading glasses now for computer work. I do a lot of reloading and fly fishing so for that detail work I've got 2.50. Luckily from about 2.5 feet away from my eyes to infinity I'm still solid and don't require anything to drive/ride. I seem to remember at an eye exam in my "yut" that I had 20/10 vision so I guess I had some room to 'depreciate'.
 
Thread starter
[You're lucky to have lasted this long. :D


But how long have I been riding/driving not realizing I needed distance glasses? The change was dramatic. I have been using cheaters for reading and close work since my late 50s.
 
Vision is everything and you really don't know had bad it has become until you get glasses.
I was 50-51 when I first started to use reading glasses and they made a huge difference. My work involved constant reading of files and documents and with the new glasses the words and images seemed to leap off the pages :D
That was 28 years ago so of course I've graduated to full lenses and have bi-annual checkups.
 
I remember the exact moment my eyes went bad. I was on a plane coming back from an elk hunt in Montana. Sitting in my seat, reading a book, everything was fine. I flipped the page to continue reading and noticed the page had been double printed... as had the next page, and all the rest of the pages too. Came home got an eye exam and yep needed glasses. It was amazing how it happened all at once. That was at 40. At 44 I got my first pair of bifocals. Glasses are great if you don't have naturally good vision. Now at 66, putting on my glasses is like putting on my young eyes again.
 
Well, I am coming at this from a completely different perspective. I got my first glasses at age 5 - nearsighted. The doc said I probably needed them at 3, but they caught it at 5 because that's when you start the letters and numbers thing in kindygarten.

From 5 until 27 my eyes degraded steadily - I have "Coke bottle" glasses. However, since high school it's been contacts. Vision is somewhat stable now and the massive nearsightedness held off the need for readers until about 50.
 
I never needed glasses until a sudden change at age 41. I wore glasses for years after that with a new and stronger prescription needed every year. About 5 years ago I was diagnosed with cataracts and had lens replacement surgery in both eyes. Now, at nearly 69 years I can see as well as I did at 20, just need 1.5 readers for fine print.
 
Thread starter
DAC_imp said:
Well, I am coming at this from a completely different perspective. I got my first glasses at age 5 - nearsighted. The doc said I probably needed them at 3, but they caught it at 5 because that's when you start the letters and numbers thing in kindygarten.

From 5 until 27 my eyes degraded steadily - I have "Coke bottle" glasses. However, since high school it's been contacts. Vision is somewhat stable now and the massive nearsightedness held off the need for readers until about 50.
I have a friend who went through the same type of thing. She said "until she got her glasses she thought trees were just big green fuzzy things" she was amazed of her new world.

I have been very lucky and should have known better. I have a Dr. apt in one year and will probably go biannual after that. The Dr said I do have early signs of a cataract starting in one eye.
 
gmike_imp said:
DAC_imp said:
Well, I am coming at this from a completely different perspective. I got my first glasses at age 5 - nearsighted. The doc said I probably needed them at 3, but they caught it at 5 because that's when you start the letters and numbers thing in kindygarten.

From 5 until 27 my eyes degraded steadily - I have "Coke bottle" glasses. However, since high school it's been contacts. Vision is somewhat stable now and the massive nearsightedness held off the need for readers until about 50.
I have a friend who went through the same type of thing. She said "until she got her glasses she thought trees were just big green fuzzy things" she was amazed of her new world.

I have been very lucky and should have known better. I have a Dr. apt in one year and will probably go biannual after that. The Dr said I do have early signs of a cataract starting in one eye.
I have a friend who went through the same type of thing. She said "until she got her glasses she thought trees were just big green fuzzy things" she was amazed of her new world.

I have been very lucky and should have known better. I have a Dr. apt in one year and will probably go biannual after that. The Dr said I do have early signs of a cataract starting in one eye.
I have one too in one eye, but it's well off to the side and hasn't moved. It's been there for 6-7 years. So far, so good.
 
gmike

I experienced your visual rebirth at age 18 in the service when I could see the leaves on the tree and the individual bricks on a building. Kind of a rebirth and very exciting.

You and I are entering the "honeymoon" period as cataracts begin to vex us. Our eyes will improve for a while so enjoy. Do not skip your scheduled examinations.

Welcome to the 70's.
 
Recently, we've discussed bad backs, bad hips, bad knees, knee surgery, hernia surgery, kidney stones and now cataracts. I imagine it'll be prostate issues next......
 
Thread starter
geosar_imp said:
gmike

I experienced your visual rebirth at age 18 in the service when I could see the leaves on the tree and the individual bricks on a building. Kind of a rebirth and very exciting.

You and I are entering the "honeymoon" period as cataracts begin to vex us. Our eyes will improve for a while so enjoy. Do not skip your scheduled examinations.

Welcome to the 70's.

Roger that !
 
I have worn glasses for driving for 50 years. My long range vision is improving, but my reading vision is getting worse. Probably has something to do with sitting in front of computer monitors over the last 35 years. My first home computer was an Atari 130XE in 1982.
 
Close reading is due to eye lenses getting less flexible with age so the small muscles can not pull and stretch lens to focus close for reading.

Welcome to old age as my eye doc said years back


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Elipten_imp said:
Just had TURP surgery on my prostrate 3 weeks ago tomorrow. Getting back to normal slowly.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hang in there Erik. Hope you feel better soon. I assume this precludes you from riding?

BTW according to statistics 39% of motorcycle owners in the US are between the ages of 51-69. (the same age period where you start falling apart lol)
 
I had perfect 20/10 vision for years....loved shooting guns with iron sights vs using a scope.

That changed.....

I still have excellent long range vision but I'll be darned if I can read anything anymore without glasses.

Sigh
 
I'm soon to be 55 and thinking I'm ready for a pair of cheaters. After seeing this thread I realize it's been eons since I've had an eye exam.

Have any of you considered LASIK surgery? I hear it does wonders...
 
Does not work for the reading glass issue. Only lens replacement will work and rather new surgical method.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top