extreme range: maximum range and poorest range

Riko_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
hi fellow riders,

main reason for me bringing this up was a facebook comment when posting my very high fuel consumption picture


Honda officialy claims 5,6L/100Km, thats about 42mpg(US) for the DLX/EX version with 17,5 liter tank capacity, thats about 4,5 gallons.

Very impressive if that were to be true...
Someone said on fb that on a full tank you could only ride 200km, thats about 124 miles.
He's kidding right.

okay, when driving like I did with that fuel consumption on the pic above, that would be the case, a worst case scenario.

But what are your experiences?
Worst case and best case range on a full tank.

When riding normally I was counting on an average range of 250km, thats 155miles.
Surely thats possible.
 
I've gone 225 miles (362 km) on my US DLX (4.7 gal tank) with 1/2 gal left in the tank. Averaging about 55-57 mpg.

Worst I ever got was 50 mpg when it was new and not broken in. Since the 2000 mile mark ( now at 18,000) I don't think I've gotten less than mid 50s and have gotten low 60's mpg.
 
My experience is similar to The Ferret. '14 DLX. Low-60's mpg is typical for me, but I'm rarely below 7000' elevation and seldom ride this bike faster than about 75 mph.
 
The official WMTC rating on the 13CB (http://www.balmerlawnhonda.co.uk/2012/11/master/) is 70.9mpg (4L/100Km) - the rating is at 37.28mph. I can agree with that completely. During the 1st 600 miles, I never went over 50, usually 30-40 and achieved upper 40s/low 50s. After "break in" and being able to do highway speeds, mpg dropped to low 40s. Again agrees with test data. Remember the 2013 does not have the 6th/overdrive that is REQUIRED! for US highway travel.

Aside from the vibes at 3.5-4.5K rpm, this is the most ardent reason to do a 18/35 sprocket mod! Because the rpms will drop from 4000 to 3400 <15%>, I expect to get apx 15% increase in mpg from 43.5 to around 50mpg. That agrees with the 2014 6th gear mpg cruising numbers. To get 55-62mpg as some have mentioned, I will assume the average speed is between 65-50mph respectively.

This engine starts sucking fuel exponentially after the rpm climbs above 2500rpm. I'm not sure how a windscreen will affect those numbers, but I will find out soon.

FYI:
2013 3.9 gallon tank @ 43.5 mpg = 170 miles til bone dry.
After mod expect 3.9 * 50 = 195.
2014 4.5 @ 50 = 225.

Prior to the ridiculous 10% ethanol here in the US, all vehicle actual mileages were 10% higher across the board. So how is 10% ethanol good for the environment - everything about it is wrong. I fill up and pay the extra $ to use non ethanol in my CB whenever possible.
 
Consistently get in excess of 50 mpg, usually closer to 55. 2013 Dlx model with a small tank.

Normally try to stop for fuel around 225 miles since I ride in rural areas, at 250 miles I make sure I'm heading to a gas station.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I don't agree 6th gear is required for highway travel. I occasionally keep mine in 5th and it does just fine.
There is no 6th on a 13 CB, I'm always in 5th - lol. The gearing is completely different on the 14+. It is not just add a 6th. You can search previous posts to get gearing.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I've gone 225 miles (362 km) on my US DLX (4.7 gal tank) with 1/2 gal left in the tank. Averaging about 55-57 mpg.

Worst I ever got was 50 mpg when it was new and not broken in. Since the 2000 mile mark ( now at 18,000) I don't think I've gotten less than mid 50s and have gotten low 60's mpg.
could it be that bikes are somewhat more thirsty in their early life? :)
mine was delivered at 2001km, thats 1243 miles
 
rbike_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
I don't agree 6th gear is required for highway travel. I occasionally keep mine in 5th and it does just fine.
There is no 6th on a 13 CB, I'm always in 5th - lol. The gearing is completely different on the 14+. It is not just add a 6th. You can search previous posts to get gearing.
That's fine, the difference is of little consequence to me. I was responding to the absurdity of the statement "6th/overdrive is REQUIRED! for highway travel in the US." I'm pretty sure it's not.
 
I would go 185 miles on my 2013 5 speed 3.7 tank, with 1/2 gallon left.

Heck I get between 45 and 50 on my 717 pound 125 HP 5 speed ST 1300.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
rbike_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
I don't agree 6th gear is required for highway travel. I occasionally keep mine in 5th and it does just fine.
There is no 6th on a 13 CB, I'm always in 5th - lol. The gearing is completely different on the 14+. It is not just add a 6th. You can search previous posts to get gearing.
That's fine, the difference is of little consequence to me. I was responding to the absurdity of the statement "6th/overdrive is REQUIRED! for highway travel in the US." I'm pretty sure it's not.
That's fine, the difference is of little consequence to me. I was responding to the absurdity of the statement "6th/overdrive is REQUIRED! for highway travel in the US." I'm pretty sure it's not.
I wont go in circles here. It is just that when I am doing 70mph, I will use the top gear - whatever it is. On a CB with 5 gears, the rpm is 4000. The 6 gear TX turns 3300 rpm at 70mph. I wonder why they made the change - simple, It is the right thing for the general US Hwy system. When I am upshifting as I accelerate onto the interstate, more than occasionally, I try to shift again before I realize I am already in 5th. I don't count. (BTW, the 13 model does not have gear indictor on the "dash", but the green Neutral is in the right spot!) I used to be able to tell from the sound of the engine on previous bikes. That's because just from the engine sound, I feel there is another gear when there isn't. That is why a "6th/overdrive is REQUIRED! for highway travel in the US." I guess I could have added, "FOR ME ONLY" to not be absurd. I am sure there are others that agree - some have already done the sprocket mod. The option to change the TX is done by getting a 14 CB, unfortunately not any TX modification - 100% possible, but not realistic financially.

Maybe if I lived where the roads go up and down and had snow and ice, I would be likely to stay in 5th at times if I had 6 gears, but it is really flat and warm here. Excitement comes with hills of 50', occasionally turns, and always tourists trying to get free hood ornaments - usually inadvertently.

Some have gone the other direction with sprocket mods - to increase acceleration vs highway performance. For them that is the correct way. I can certainly appreciate that as a good solution for them. For all of us, whatever we do is the correct way. In no way is any one opinion the correct way. That is what is good about this forum, we all benefit from other's ideas. We can take it or let it fall - each has a choice. I have modified my understood correct way based on others inputs. My thanks goes out to them always.
 
Riko_imp said:
hi fellow riders,

main reason for me bringing this up was a facebook comment when posting my very high fuel consumption picture


Honda officialy claims 5,6L/100Km, thats about 42mpg(US) for the DLX/EX version with 17,5 liter tank capacity, thats about 4,5 gallons.

Very impressive if that were to be true...
Someone said on fb that on a full tank you could only ride 200km, thats about 124 miles.
He's kidding right.

okay, when driving like I did with that fuel consumption on the pic above, that would be the case, a worst case scenario.

But what are your experiences?
Worst case and best case range on a full tank.

When riding normally I was counting on an average range of 250km, thats 155miles.
Surely thats possible.
Hi, I've never worked out mpg but I expect to get between 180-200 miles per tank full. My bike is a new model which has a slightly larger tank than the 2013 model.
 
I've had my 2013 to about 155 miles before I panicked and filled up. To be frank, I really don't pay too much attention to my bike's range because my knees and back have a range of about 150 miles.
 
My theoretical max on the Mitta Mitta trip was about 300 km (187 miles)on a tank, I did not run it dry bit of a distance between servos here, but crunched the number when I got home.

I usually start looking for a refill at 250 km on the trip meter or when the need for tea needs to be satisfied, also range limited by a decaying body.

Regards
 
I've got the latest model with the slightly larger tank and I expect to get between 180-200 miles per tank depending on riding style and conditions. All my riding is for pleasure ( day trips and touring ) so I rarely do many high speed miles on motorways.
 
2013. I don't check the MPG regularly and I generally refill around 150 miles, as that is about where the little light starts flashing. But when I have checked, my mileage has been 45-50 MPG. I think I probably start too fast and stop too fast and rev too high all the time. I'm a bad steward of our Earth. But I have a couple of Priuses (Prei?) so maybe that'll get me into heaven. :biker:
 
My '13 has gotten as bad as 48 and as high as 54 MPG. You can do the math for your tank size. I think the real problem here is you're going by the trip computer. Those things are usually not accurate; the one in my car and on my Concours 14 are always way off.
 
I have found the CB's computer (on my 14 DLX, there was none on my 13) to be extremely accurate, surprisingly so, as I always calculate by calculator as well and the computer is accurate within .2 gal and 1 mpg.

What isn't accurate is the extremely pessimistic fuel gauge.
 
Thread starter
I discovered the computer on the dash, very impressive piece of fuel info-possibilities there.
Not even the Burgman had such options.
For example the very last screen that shows the current consumption while riding is a very nice and welcome feature.

I had alot around the 4,.. and 5,..L/100km while driving normally BUT under medium to agressive acceleration I saw figures like 26L/100km and (if i'm not mistaken) 88L/100km :dodgy:

26L/100km is about the equivalent of 9 mpg
88Ll/100km is about 2,60mpg

:D

of course this showed up only for a second or 2 LOL
 
Back
Top