Exhaust upgrade for riding style??

Skypilot_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hello to the forum and thanks to all the warm welcomes. I guess this will be my first legitimate post. So anybody who has read my intro post has seen that I ride about 90% of the time in town and about 10% on the highway. So of course I am already looking at possible changes to suit my riding style. The first thing that I have started looking around for is exhaust including
Yoshimura RS3 slip on $360
Arrow slip on $540
Stayintune slip on $800
Delkevic 8 inch slip on. $225

Delkevic full system $340
Yoshimura RSCV full system $1200

The question being will an aftermarket exhaust help with in town riding performance vs stock. Much of what I’ve read so far indicates no need to adjust the AFR.
Looks like most exhaust on Samurider are crazy $$$$.
 
A slip on exhaust will not require adjustment. As for performance, actual performance - neglegable, your riding attitude given your bike now sounds better than a muffled fart - much more noticeable.

I love my Arrow slip on. I like the fact that it retains the original look albeit smaller.
 
I agree with KE. You will have a negligible gain power wise (maybe 2-4 hp) and lose a few pounds (maybe 5-10 depending on which pipe you choose) however if you want more sound, then a pipe will make you happy.
 
Thread starter
I wanted quieter than my Harleys but this is like the old lady’s blow dryer. I wouldn’t mind some more growl though. The Arrow does look most like stock that I have researched. How’s the sound difference?
 
A 1/2" drill bit will give you a nice throaty growl and a slight boost in throttle response for free. Worked great for me.
 
Thread starter
Darn good price on Craigslist . Nice catch. I’m about an hour from there. Question is can I make it before I leave for Florida tomorrow night. So where abouts would I drill that 1/2 inch hole?
 
Moriwaki makes a nice slip on that looks like the original just smaller and straight through. Not Harley loud either, rated at 92 db.
 
There was an earlier post about modifying the stock exhaust.

CB1100 Forum / Honda CB1100 Discussions / Accessories/Modifications  / Stock Exhaust Mod

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
I hate to see someone modifying a stock muffler unless they just can't afford an aftermarket pipe. It's so much easier to sell a bike with an unmodified stock exhaust, and you can always sell an aftermarket pipe on the forum or on ebay and recoup some of that money
 
I'm about to go through a major exhaust and fueling mod myself, and I'll give you my rec: if it's an actual performance boost you want, you must focus on removing the catalyzed converter and having your fueling adjusted either by reflash or by power commander. anything else is just noise or icing on the cake. noise is great though.

i'll give you my personal voucher for Delkevic. i LOVE LOVE LOVE my 8" round. it's simply the absolute lightest aftermarket muffler you can get, that isn't just a shorty turnout. as for the headers...i can't say. i'm going titanium instead.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I hate to see someone modifying a stock muffler unless they just can't afford an aftermarket pipe. It's so much easier to sell a bike with an unmodified stock exhaust, and you can always sell an aftermarket pipe on the forum or on ebay and recoup some of that money
(+1)
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
I'm about to go through a major exhaust and fueling mod myself, and I'll give you my rec: if it's an actual performance boost you want, you must focus on removing the catalyzed converter and having your fueling adjusted either by reflash or by power commander. anything else is just noise or icing on the cake. noise is great though.

i'll give you my personal voucher for Delkevic. i LOVE LOVE LOVE my 8" round. it's simply the absolute lightest aftermarket muffler you can get, that isn't just a shorty turnout. as for the headers...i can't say. i'm going titanium instead.
And, if I've understood what I've read on the forum, even that will give you only a very modest performance boost.
 
I enjoy the stealthy-like sound of the factory arrangement. The catalytic converter does not need explanation and its job should be obvious. For more power I would have considered something else other than a CB1100. Maybe the CB1000R, or go stupid and consider the late generation V-Max.
 
Neither of which can hold a candle to the beautiful appearance of the CB1100. People will want their cake and want to consume said cake. Hence the never-ending search for a few ponies. $ be darned.
 
I ride a 2013 CB and just installed a Delkevic 14" round slash cut slip-on and it sounds very nice. Just enough note and not obnoxious. That is with the baffle in too! The quality, fit and finish is just outstanding. I recommend to check them out if you wish to enhance the sound of your CB.
 
cooldrum_imp said:
I ride a 2013 CB and just installed a Delkevic 14" round slash cut slip-on and it sounds very nice. Just enough note and not obnoxious. That is with the baffle in too! The quality, fit and finish is just outstanding. I recommend to check them out if you wish to enhance the sound of your CB.
Seems to be a popular reference at the Forum.
 
Thread starter
I too would like to keep the machine stock. A couple of times I modified a stock part on a bike in haste and regretted it. I’m not disappointed with the power of The CB but just considering options. Funny that you mention the VMAX. That bike has been on my list since I first saw/heard one back in the late 80s. Never panned out for me but I still plan on it.
 
Skypilot_imp said:
I too would like to keep the machine stock. A couple of times I modified a stock part on a bike in haste and regretted it. I’m not disappointed with the power of The CB but just considering options. Funny that you mention the VMAX. That bike has been on my list since I first saw/heard one back in the late 80s. Never panned out for me but I still plan on it.
I was, well still am, an admirer of the first generation Honda V65 Magna. It was lust at first sight. Then soon after came this Yamaha V-Max thing. It was mind-blowing and even more so of a "sculpted muscle". The handling sucked and the fuel economy and/or tank size was dismal. These are not makings of a practical bike, but that is probably what marketing had intended. The late generation V-Max is a bit grotesque, however, I still admire its intent. In all, the V-Max is a true [and expensive] toy. In contrast, the CB1100 provides a slice of the same fun, look good doing it, and be easy on the cost of ownership.

If you are lucky, maybe a late 80's model can be had in excellent condition at a very reasonable price. It is a legend.
 
Back
Top