Exhaust system/slip-on

johnny_elpino_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Hey guys, first post here!

I'm pretty sure this question was asked multiple times but cant seem to find a easy option.

I've had my CB for 9 years now and I'm looking into changing a bit the feel of it.
I'm looking for a new sound and feel. Any suggestions on what kind of exhaust or slip-on I should be looking for?
 
There have been tons of options.

What style are you wanting? There is great variance.

4-1
4-2
4-4

and then old school early 70's,

or late 70's / early 80's

Or modern

stainless steel? Titanium? Carbon fiber?
 
CB1100 with titanium anything is a unique look that should probably not get light thought.

I do like the weight savings and low maintenance aspects though.
 
Radiant Cycles Shorty GP Exhaust Motorcycle Slipon Short Muffler Pipe for 2013-2014 Honda CB1100 BLACK Amazon.com

If you're willing to take the center stand off like you do for alot of slip ons... I frigging LOVE this exhaust tip. It actually has a small glass pack in it and I will occasionally repack it.

Eliminates the giant muffler, looks really streamlined because the exhaust just comes out of the bottom right of the bike so no interference with bags or anything.

It sounds awesome and didn't cost much at all until I eventually get a full system.

I got the chrome one but that link is for black. The one for a Rebel 500 is 45$ check if we use the same diameter outlet at the collector. Maybe its the same size and just marketed for a different bike for cheaper. The same one for the rebel has 350 5 star reviews if that helps.
d07cb99c2ed434e2253f8328a43c8d6e.jpg
a9692766b26308fe5e9a6e16556fa24c.jpg


2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
There have been tons of options.

What style are you wanting? There is great variance.

4-1
4-2
4-4

and then old school early 70's,

or late 70's / early 80's

Or modern

stainless steel? Titanium? Carbon fiber?
Im looking for something 4-1 or 4-2 stainless.

Id like to respect the aesthetic of the bike.
And also I want a better sounding bike but not something too loud since I live in a residential area and don't want all my neighbors to hate me!

Thanks a lot guys for taking your time to answer my question!
 
Ok.

So- what is your bike? It is possible to convert from a 4-1 into 4-2 but to do it right (proper center stand, proper left side step) is expensive.

If you have a standard bike- a 4-1, in my opinion the best 'respect the aesthetic' with good refined sound is the Staintune slip on- but it is discontinued. You will need to keep an eye on the classifieds or Ebay.

Example-

75ed201afdab12384b0df91f6b93a3b4.jpg





Here are some other options. There used to be a lot more just 2-3 years ago.

HONDA CB1100: Slip-On Exhaust - Webike

HONDA CB1100: Full Exhaust System - Webike
 
I recently installed the arrow slip on with arrow headers and I love it. Sounds super throaty but quiet at idle.
 
I don't have a dog in the fight, since I have a factory muffler. But, when I first looked at my CB1100, the original owner had installed a GPR slip-on. Since we haggled on the price of the bike and I didn't pay asking price, he gave me a choice of either the GPR or the factory muffler. The GPR looked very nice and complimented the looks of the bike. And it sounded very nice. In the end, I erred on the side of my neighbors, since I come and go at odd hours.

But, if I had to pick an aftermarket muffler, I'd take that GPR.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2712263073...EUyBik7YaSIvVQi3CfaFDfHAV0bSov1IaAm9wEALw_wcB
 
I always thought the GPR looked like a carp feeding on the surface of a pond. :rofl:

Not saying it isn't a good slip on or that it doesn't sound good, I just always thought the way the end is cut, it looked a little like a fish feeding.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I don't have a dog in the fight, since I have a factory muffler. But, when I first looked at my CB1100, the original owner had installed a GPR slip-on. Since we haggled on the price of the bike and I didn't pay asking price, he gave me a choice of either the GPR or the factory muffler. The GPR looked very nice and complimented the looks of the bike. And it sounded very nice. In the end, I erred on the side of my neighbors, since I come and go at odd hours.

But, if I had to pick an aftermarket muffler, I'd take that GPR.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2712263073...EUyBik7YaSIvVQi3CfaFDfHAV0bSov1IaAm9wEALw_wcB
It certainly looks streamlined. I have seen worse on the CB1100.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I always thought the GPR looked like a carp feeding on the surface of a pond. :rofl:

Not saying it isn't a good slip on or that it doesn't sound good, I just always thought the way the end is cut, it looked a little like a fish feeding.
9f78387b14be9ce5da0a1717b2b34c0f.png
810e09bcff8a20b1fb764fb2cf40bd61.png
now that you said they I cannot unsee it

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
johnny_elpino_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
There have been tons of options.

What style are you wanting? There is great variance.

4-1
4-2
4-4

and then old school early 70's,

or late 70's / early 80's

Or modern

stainless steel? Titanium? Carbon fiber?
Im looking for something 4-1 or 4-2 stainless.

Id like to respect the aesthetic of the bike.
And also I want a better sounding bike but not something too loud since I live in a residential area and don't want all my neighbors to hate me!

Thanks a lot guys for taking your time to answer my question!
Im looking for something 4-1 or 4-2 stainless.

Id like to respect the aesthetic of the bike.
And also I want a better sounding bike but not something too loud since I live in a residential area and don't want all my neighbors to hate me!

Thanks a lot guys for taking your time to answer my question! Sounds like Delkevic might be a good option for you. They have an assortment of mufflers and make headers without the restrictive Cat like our factory ones. I think you can get a full exhaust from them for about 450 pending what muffler you pick.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
I am seriously thinking of painting or coating the header pipes black, but leaving the can chrome. I just don't like that hot pipe look, and polishing them seems to be a fool's errand. Do I need some type of high-temp paint?
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
I am seriously thinking of painting or coating the header pipes black, but leaving the can chrome. I just don't like that hot pipe look, and polishing them seems to be a fool's errand. Do I need some type of high-temp paint?
Yes you need a high temp paint. Any auto zone,Advanced auto parts, pep boys etc will have different High temp paint in the spray paint section. I've even seen them at Home depot.

They are rated for different Temps so there's ones for Caliper paint, Header paint, Engine Paint, BBQ paint, etc. Usually you can just Google what the average operating temperature range is for a specific item you're painting and make sure the paint meets or exceeds that temp.

Just do your prep and take it slow. Lots of thin coats are better than 2 heavy coats. You also need to do a "Bake" so the back of the can will basically tell you but usually you need to run the motor/heat the paint for say 10 minutes. 2 or 3 times to get it to "Cure".

I've done it to many different items and it came out great. I've done calipers, motorcycle headers, Valve covers, etc. All with shaker cans.
VHT is the brand I use mostly but I believe rustoleum also has a high temp line.

https://www.autozone.com/paint-and-...xefDEsaHvh6bArhoCq4AQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds


2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Thanks, mvk24 - I would guess that the product container would spell out what kind of prep is required. I don't want to disassemble the pipes and would prefer to apply it with a brush, if possible.
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
Thanks, mvk24 - I would guess that the product container would spell out what kind of prep is required. I don't want to disassemble the pipes and would prefer to apply it with a brush, if possible.
I would definitely reccomend taking the pipes off. It would be alot harder honestly to do good prep work, tape off the front of the bike, get an even coat on all parts of the surface. Etc with the pipes on the bike.


Its really not a hard task at all if you can remove the battery you could remove the pipes. Its 2 bolts per head pipe and 2 to release the cat and muffler from the frame.

Once its off it will be so much easier to prep and spray without worrying about getting paint on the bike.

BUT if you do really want to use a brush you'd have to do some research on the topic. I've never seen the high heat paints come in a tin for use with a brush.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
mvk24_imp said:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
Thanks, mvk24 - I would guess that the product container would spell out what kind of prep is required. I don't want to disassemble the pipes and would prefer to apply it with a brush, if possible.
I would definitely reccomend taking the pipes off. It would be alot harder honestly to do good prep work, tape off the front of the bike, get an even coat on all parts of the surface. Etc with the pipes on the bike.


Its really not a hard task at all if you can remove the battery you could remove the pipes. Its 2 bolts per head pipe and 2 to release the cat and muffler from the frame.

Once its off it will be so much easier to prep and spray without worrying about getting paint on the bike.

BUT if you do really want to use a brush you'd have to do some research on the topic. I've never seen the high heat paints come in a tin for use with a brush.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
I would definitely reccomend taking the pipes off. It would be alot harder honestly to do good prep work, tape off the front of the bike, get an even coat on all parts of the surface. Etc with the pipes on the bike.


Its really not a hard task at all if you can remove the battery you could remove the pipes. Its 2 bolts per head pipe and 2 to release the cat and muffler from the frame.

Once its off it will be so much easier to prep and spray without worrying about getting paint on the bike.

BUT if you do really want to use a brush you'd have to do some research on the topic. I've never seen the high heat paints come in a tin for use with a brush.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca

I think you're probably right about that.
 
Back
Top