Engine warning light after fitting Arrow Exhaust and TSR Intake Funnel

Thread starter
I got round to fittings the Arrow Exhaust and TSR Intake Funnel today and all went well untill I took it for a spin. Ran fine and in the short run I had it pulled well, although being in town, I couldn't open it up. I do however have the engine lamp lit on the clocks.

I already had a PCV fitted and when I removed the RH pipe I found that the O2 Sensor was disconnected from the loom. When I removed the LH Pipe, it's a 2014 EX, I found that the O2 Sensor from that pipe was still connected. I disconnected it and carried on.

I'm wondering if this is the reason for the warning light. I thought that when fitting the PCV they disconected the O2 Sensor. A tuning shop fitted it.

Any ideas? And any ways to solve it?

Also, on another topic, when I removed the hose from the PAIR Valve, there was already a Cap Bolt in there! I've had the bike from new and I'm sure I never fitted it. If I did then I really am loosing it!! ;-)

Anyone else found that? Wondering if in some regions they stop it up as it's not required.... Find it a bit hard to belive tho. Seems a bit amatuer for Honda.

Any ideas appreciated...

Ta
Kev
 
beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:
I got round to fittings the Arrow Exhaust and TSR Intake Funnel today and all went well untill I took it for a spin. Ran fine and in the short run I had it pulled well, although being in town, I couldn't open it up. I do however have the engine lamp lit on the clocks.

I already had a PCV fitted and when I removed the RH pipe I found that the O2 Sensor was disconnected from the loom. When I removed the LH Pipe, it's a 2014 EX, I found that the O2 Sensor from that pipe was still connected. I disconnected it and carried on.

I'm wondering if this is the reason for the warning light. I thought that when fitting the PCV they disconected the O2 Sensor. A tuning shop fitted it.

Any ideas? And any ways to solve it?

Also, on another topic, when I removed the hose from the PAIR Valve, there was already a Cap Bolt in there! I've had the bike from new and I'm sure I never fitted it. If I did then I really am loosing it!! ;-)

Anyone else found that? Wondering if in some regions they stop it up as it's not required.... Find it a bit hard to belive tho. Seems a bit amatuer for Honda.

Any ideas appreciated...

Ta
Kev
It is disconnected, and an O2 eliminator plug is used to prevent the fault. You need to make sure that it is in place.
 
Thread starter
I reckon I've sused it. Just had a look on the Dynojet Power Commander site and there isn't a model listed for the 2014 onwards, just 2013. I reckon they pulled one sensor cable only and only fitted one O2 Eliminator, as that's what's in the kit. 2013 only having one pipe and all.... I'll order up another eliminator and see if that does it...

Any ideas if running it as is, untill the eliminator turns up will have any ill effect?

K
 
beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:
I got round to fittings the Arrow Exhaust and TSR Intake Funnel today and all went well untill I took it for a spin. Ran fine and in the short run I had it pulled well, although being in town, I couldn't open it up. I do however have the engine lamp lit on the clocks.

I already had a PCV fitted and when I removed the RH pipe I found that the O2 Sensor was disconnected from the loom. When I removed the LH Pipe, it's a 2014 EX, I found that the O2 Sensor from that pipe was still connected. I disconnected it and carried on.

I'm wondering if this is the reason for the warning light. I thought that when fitting the PCV they disconected the O2 Sensor. A tuning shop fitted it.

Any ideas? And any ways to solve it?

Also, on another topic, when I removed the hose from the PAIR Valve, there was already a Cap Bolt in there! I've had the bike from new and I'm sure I never fitted it. If I did then I really am loosing it!! ;-)

Anyone else found that? Wondering if in some regions they stop it up as it's not required.... Find it a bit hard to belive tho. Seems a bit amatuer for Honda.

Any ideas appreciated...

Ta
Kev
G'day Kev,

Mate I see you bought your bike new. If it was used (pre-loved), I would say that someone has done a PAIR valve mod on it. See this and other threads.

PAIR Valve Mod


Cheers
 
beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:
I got round to fittings the Arrow Exhaust and TSR Intake Funnel today and all went well untill I took it for a spin. Ran fine and in the short run I had it pulled well, although being in town, I couldn't open it up. I do however have the engine lamp lit on the clocks.

I already had a PCV fitted and when I removed the RH pipe I found that the O2 Sensor was disconnected from the loom. When I removed the LH Pipe, it's a 2014 EX, I found that the O2 Sensor from that pipe was still connected. I disconnected it and carried on.

I'm wondering if this is the reason for the warning light. I thought that when fitting the PCV they disconected the O2 Sensor. A tuning shop fitted it.

Any ideas? And any ways to solve it?

Also, on another topic, when I removed the hose from the PAIR Valve, there was already a Cap Bolt in there! I've had the bike from new and I'm sure I never fitted it. If I did then I really am loosing it!! ;-)

Anyone else found that? Wondering if in some regions they stop it up as it's not required.... Find it a bit hard to belive tho. Seems a bit amatuer for Honda.

Any ideas appreciated...

Ta
Kev
I would suggest that the shop that installed your PCV literally did a half-@$$ed job. By not disconnecting both O2 sensors the PCV would not have been running properly, as the remaining O2 sensor would have sent signals to negate some of the effectiveness of the PCV.

No doubt they found that it was still running lean just off idle as the PCV would not have been able to add the fuel it wanted in the zero % throttle column. They probably plugged your PAIR Valve line to prevent the decel popping resultant from running lean.

I have to ask how much of an improvement you found after the PCV installation using the stock exhaust and in what ranges. If the install had been done properly, you may have noticed greater improvement and smoother throttle response, especially at low throttle settings.
 
Thread starter
Ha! Not just me then... Your right, live and learn. After all the analogue tuning I've done, and cocked up, and done again, I thought this electronic business would just be plug and play. There's more to this than I thought....
 
You will just have to get used to the paint flaking. Mine is a 2010 model and most of the engine has paint flaking somewhere. Probably in a couple of more years I will need to drop the engine in the bead blaster and start all over again with some decent high temp silver.
At the same time I could replate the rusting oil lines on the cooler, replace the left hand mirror due to rusting stem, repaint the lower triple clamp and maybe get the fork tubes hardchromed between the triple clamps. My 73 kawa Z1 still has original chrome better than the CB.
 
Tezza_imp said:
You will just have to get used to the paint flaking. Mine is a 2010 model and most of the engine has paint flaking somewhere. Probably in a couple of more years I will need to drop the engine in the bead blaster and start all over again with some decent high temp silver.
At the same time I could replate the rusting oil lines on the cooler, replace the left hand mirror due to rusting stem, repaint the lower triple clamp and maybe get the fork tubes hardchromed between the triple clamps. My 73 kawa Z1 still has original chrome better than the CB.
Yeah, I'm having a similar experience with my 2011. The chrome is pretty second rate in my view.
 
Thread starter
I have an update....

I spoke to the Tuning Shop today and they agreed that it wasn't right, but said that the instructions from Dynojet for the PCV only mentions one O2 Sensor. Fair doo's as Dyno only specify a PCV for 2013, which only has one sensor I think, right?

All the same, there was no quibbling and they are ordering me another O2 Eliminator. They are going to re-map FOC and just charging for a Fueling Check, which I'd need with the new pipe and TSR Air Funnels and Intake. £40 all in.

Very fair I thought.

He did say that the remaining sensor would only correct the fueling to emission friendly settings and it wouldn't do the engine any harm.
They also did the PAIR valve mod. as par the course, as he said you couldn't accurately measure for the mapping if it wasn't done.
 
Beardy,

Your are correct. The 2013s have only one O2 sensor.
 
Beirdy, did you also remove and plug the O2 sensors? I may be reading it incorrectly but it appears you only disconnected the O2 sensors and left them in. You really should remove and plug them, otherwise if you ever want to reuse them in the future they will probably be fouled to the point of failure. At around $200 a pop ($400 for the pair) that is a pretty expensive repair, especially compared to a simple bolt in plug.
 
Thread starter
I did leave them in, or rather the shop did. I only just realised we had them fitted to the bike when i removed the original exhaust. If I'd known I would have had them out, top tip. I would also then have realised that one was still connected!
This is the first modern bike I've owned that has such trickery.... And I'm still learning.
 
Back
Top