Engine using oil - problem ?

bflint

Been there
Thread starter
CB1100 DX is using excessive oil I think. At OD reading 22.5K miles (last week), had dealer change oil and filter before I started touring. Toured for 6 days and 2500 miles (OD reading 25k) and check oil. Nothing registered in the oil window. Totally surprised me. Added quart and registered between low/high lines in window. On day 7 dropped in at Honda dealer and had them change oil and filter again; they filled to above high line in window. I road another 200 miles today and level registers half way between low/high lines in window. I think I have a problem but want to continue my tour (in Michigan now .. home is San Diego). FYI, first 1200 miles of tour my MPH was 85-95, 100 sometimes. Next 1200 miles was 80-90 MPH. Last few hundred miles at 75-80 MPH (since getting last oil change). First thought is just to keep adding oil and keep touring. ANY THOUGHTS?
 
Wow first I've hear of any CB 1100 using oil. You do seem to be running it kind of hard IMO, but not sure that would have much bearing on the oil loss. I would keep touring and just check it nightly. Use a V shaped strip of torn /folded cardboard for a funnel and carry a bottle of Honda oil with you.
 
Strangely just changed my oil on 2014. It drained about 3.75qts. Added 4 qts and line is above the high mark now. Weird. Thought it held 4.1 qts?
 
For my oil level checks, I use the start and idle 3 to 5 minutes from cold, then let it sit 3 to 4 minutes before checking the oil level, as outlined in the manual. I am guessing that the oil capacity spec. in the manual is for a completely empty engine and new oil filter. It seems that there is always a little oil that does not drain from the sump, and a little more trapped on the old filter, during an oil and filter change, which may or may not be part of the difference Memphismike mentioned.
 
I agree with 2017ex. The 4.1 includes oil in the filter and you're never going to drain every drop. That being said I did my first (600 mile) change a couple of weeks ago and after I had added 4 quarts and let it run a bit the oil settled right in the middle of the two lines so I topped it off a bit to bring it close to that top line.
 
Oil in the sight glass can change quite a bit depending on the angle of the bike and how long it has sat before checking.

If you are really burning that much oil - I would think it would be visible by sight- blue when throttled.

Instead of using cardboard as a funnel- why not rig a piece of cardboard flap at the muffler output. If you are burning oil it will show (if the end of the pipe itself is not already..)

Curious to hear an end of the story- if burning, is it rings, valves, valve seals, ....
 
Thread starter
Thanks for all replies. Have had no oil/engine lights and engine still purrs so will just carry some extra 10-40w while on the trip.
 
Which brand of oil are you using and perhaps 10/40 would be better for your riding style than a 10/30.
I assume that it does not leak oil , check the plugs to see if it burns the oil.
It can NOT disappear into the cooling system !
 
Thread starter
Never asked what weight the Honda dealer services department put in. Oil level seems to be holding ok now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
My 2005 ST1300 used a quart of oil once on a trip to NC. I topped the oil off in Franklin and continued the trip. Never had any oil usage problems after that incident, strange.
 
My CB used oil one trip and I had to top it up. It’s never happened again.
 
Hi everyone , I have oil consumption on my ex model as well , after last oil change at my dealer I drove like 600 miles and there is no present of oil in check window . Also I got oil leak spots at front of my engine , not sure how you call it , rubbers probably would be the case . My bike is still on warranty but I assume my dealer will say oil consumption is totally okay with after market exhaust .(

 
I had a new R9T for a while, it didnt use a drop for the first 700 or so miles but as soon as i started to rev it out a bit more (post running in period) It used about a litre over the next few hundred miles. As soon as i noticed it i kept a close eye on the sight glass so that it didnt run too low. I figured it was just bedding itself in. 10/30 oil does seem really thin to me so i'm gonna use a good quality semi synth 10/40 in mine.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Oil in the sight glass can change quite a bit depending on the angle of the bike and how long it has sat before checking.

If you are really burning that much oil - I would think it would be visible by sight- blue when throttled.

Instead of using cardboard as a funnel- why not rig a piece of cardboard flap at the muffler output. If you are burning oil it will show (if the end of the pipe itself is not already..)

Curious to hear an end of the story- if burning, is it rings, valves, valve seals, ....
+1...if burning oil, usually valve seals could be the prime suspect, as the is the hottest spot of an engine, assuming there is no defect with other parts
 
Back
Top