Engine Paint

shahyaan_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Heya

I just bought the CB1100RS used and noticed a few chips on the engine fins. I want to fill them in before corrosion lifts of the paint around it.

The engine is a dark grey colour. Any ideas as to the closest paint match to fill these in?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I have a similar issue on my bike as well. Its CB1100EX from 2015. Past owner lived close to the sea. Dont know if this along with regular karchers chipped of the paint.
I wash my bike with a regular garden hose and dish washing liquid.

What kind of paint should I use to recoat this area ? Any particular method ? Or precaution ?
ee2c8c5808b814607fcee48c559f740b.jpg


Envoyé de mon SM-G930F en utilisant Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Yours looks to be the lighter engine colour which might just be lacquer based on the looks around this forum


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
shahyaan, welcome to the forum. Back in 2013-14 when the CB1100 first went to the UK, there was an UK-based CB1100 forum. It died from lack of interest, although I think that was a lack of interest in the forum rather than the CB1100.

Anyway, there were many reports on that forum of what members called 'fin rot' which seemed to be more of a problem in the UK than the US. Maybe it was because the early bikes had the paler coloured engine of N4RN's bike. We have that colour in Australia and my bike has many a chip on the engine; mostly, I suspect, because I ride it more than I maintain it and flying rocks and debris will have their way.

Search is your friend on this forum. Somewhere there is a post by Pterodactyl on restoring a scratched engine part. I thought it was this thread , but alas it was not. I can't find it, but you could search. As I recall, he painted the part with a high-temperature resistant paint and baked it in the oven for a while to cure it.
 
Thread starter
Hi Cormanus

Thanks for the reply. Been searching around for a while just couldn’t find anything specially for the darker engine. I may have come across that thread or a reference to it at least in my searches.

Just need something to touch up the fin edges which are as you say most likely chipped from debris. I don’t think it’s the rot as is only on the leading edges on the outer fins


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I should have been clearer that there was no rot as such. It was just the term used to describe it, although some of the cases seemed quite extensive.

I guess you just need a matching enamel paint than can sustain the temperatures reached by the engine. I've had a reasonable hunt and I can't find Pterodactyl's post. Maybe he just told me about it over a beer. Anyway, I'm sure one of the things he had to do was to cure the paint at a high temperature and he did it in the oven. Whether just running the engine for a while will do the job, I don't know.
 
Thread starter
That makes sense. Was thinking never heard of rot in paint. I might pop to the Honda dealer here and see if they have the paint pens. It’s such a small area. Wouldn’t mind a can if I could get the right colour.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Interesting that the exposed material is brown in colour.

Nevertheless, isn't the cylinder head cast aluminum? If you take a small metal file, can you remove the brown material to expose new aluminum? I realize new aluminum will oxidize immediately when exposed to air, however, it should settle down to a grey or whitish-grey finish - which should stop oxidizing. I do not know if further reactions occurs due to exposure to a salt-water environment. Is that the reason it is called "rot"?

In terms of high heat paint, silver-grey spray can high-heat paint has been readily available for decades with some tolerating the 1400F temperature range. That should be more than enough margin.
 
I use high heat paint to restore the engine painting of my 2013 CB. But it doesn't solve the problem of a bad primer Honda used with this model. My attempt to better the former good but after a while vanishing because oxidated ugly outlook of the engine is not lasting. I have to redo it over and over again once it looks bad again. It is a shame that Honda wasn't able to do a better work with the finish.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the reply guys. I just hope it doesn’t get too bad. What a shame that it’s an issue


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Not sure if the color is a match but i had good results with duplicolour DE1615 aluminium on my cb550.
Just removed oil etc. with thinners and sprayed one layer over the half flaked off paint, this is 5 years later, the ceramic duplicolour is on the engine casing and the cylinder, the generator cover is clear laquer;



No special cure, i just rode the bike to a gentle heat as described in the instructions and repeated at hotter temps a few times, i found it adheres very well just without primer;



You may want to use a brush or mask the area, practice on something else first and the paint stays soft until it has been baked
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Interesting that the exposed material is brown in colour.

Nevertheless, isn't the cylinder head cast aluminum? If you take a small metal file, can you remove the brown material to expose new aluminum? I realize new aluminum will oxidize immediately when exposed to air, however, it should settle down to a grey or whitish-grey finish - which should stop oxidizing. I do not know if further reactions occurs due to exposure to a salt-water environment. Is that the reason it is called "rot"?

In terms of high heat paint, silver-grey spray can high-heat paint has been readily available for decades with some tolerating the 1400F temperature range. That should be more than enough margin.
The term "fin rot" used on the now-closed UK forum was no more than a slang term. It was how the members described the paint flaking off their engines for no apparent reason. It's what Wisedrum identifies as Honda's poor choice of primer.

There was no reason or other strange phenomenon occurring. It was just a bit of vernacular.
 
Good luck shahyaan. If adhesion is successful (with or without heat tolerant primer), then maybe the colour will match or blend in over time.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Good luck shahyaan. If adhesion is successful (with or without heat tolerant primer), then maybe the colour will match or blend in over time.

Thanks will need it
75f753e1d4d3efc74145f35ee1144634.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
shahyaan_imp said:
Thanks for the reply guys. I just hope it doesn’t get too bad. What a shame that it’s an issue


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I met a German CB owner a few years ago, who made an heavy issue out of it, in a way it is and is not and got the flaked parts of the engine changed by Honda into new ones within warranty. After a while the flaking, the oxidating started again. He was very disappointed because nothing has really changed.

I don't like to open a well running machine. Not even by Honda mechanics. So I live with this cosmetic fault and enjoy my Honda for other reasons. Nothing is overall and totally perfect. Not even a Honda. But it comes close. So what.
 
Wisedrum_imp said:
shahyaan_imp said:
Thanks for the reply guys. I just hope it doesn’t get too bad. What a shame that it’s an issue


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I met a German CB owner a few years ago, who made an heavy issue out of it, in a way it is and is not and got the flaked parts of the engine changed by Honda into new ones within warranty. After a while the flaking, the oxidating started again. He was very disappointed because nothing has really changed.

I don't like to open a well running machine. Not even by Honda mechanics. So I live with this cosmetic fault and enjoy my Honda for other reasons. Nothing is overall and totally perfect. Not even a Honda. But it comes close. So what.
I met a German CB owner a few years ago, who made an heavy issue out of it, in a way it is and is not and got the flaked parts of the engine changed by Honda into new ones within warranty. After a while the flaking, the oxidating started again. He was very disappointed because nothing has really changed.

I don't like to open a well running machine. Not even by Honda mechanics. So I live with this cosmetic fault and enjoy my Honda for other reasons. Nothing is overall and totally perfect. Not even a Honda. But it comes close. So what.
Like a well-aged soul.
 
Thread starter
Ok so tried out the VHT paint mentioned above. Seems to be a good match on the RS engine colour.

Applied with a paint brush and allowed the engine to warm up. Will see what it looks like after curing tomorrow.

Need to bring it out into the cloudy skies of the lovely uk.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
shahyaan_imp said:
Ok so tried out the VHT paint mentioned above. Seems to be a good match on the RS engine colour.

Applied with a paint brush and allowed the engine to warm up. Will see what it looks like after curing tomorrow.

Need to bring it out into the cloudy skies of the lovely uk.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you can, take a few photos and post then once you've tried the VHT. I might have to have a go with that one myself if it looks ok...
 
Back
Top