engine oil change time interval in kilometers CB1100 EX 2015

Alfgaxatico_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
friends ; my CB1100 EX 2015; The user manual asks me to change the engine oil at 6000 km; but I see that the CB1100 EX 2018; with the same engine, exactly, it asks for it every 12,000 kms in its User Manual. is it some error ????? in the case of my CB1100 ex 2015
 
No. Honda changed the service interval.
 
There was plenty of discussion on this forum when the interval changed in 2017. It used to be 6,000 kms; then it changed to 12,000 kms (I think) in 2017. The information came from the user manual.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
There was plenty of discussion on this forum when the interval changed in 2017. It used to be 6,000 kms; then it changed to 12,000 kms (I think) in 2017. The information came from the user manual.
Thanks, appreciate !
 
Many of the other Honda mid-size+ models also have long oil service intervals that coincide with the CB1100 change.

I reckon Honda is pretty confident in their engine technology.
 
Thread starter
Thanks my friends.
Then ... I must change oil ; to 12000 kms (or 1 year) ?????
- is not problem at 9.000 kms or 10.000 kms .. -
Yesterday ; i had the 24000 kms ; and I did the 24000 km service and changed the spark plugs, oil (10 40w synthetic repsol) and 2 filters - air and oil -. Monday I will change front suspension fork oil ... and wheels: metzeler roadtec z8 Interact.
 
Alfgaxatico_imp said:
Thanks my friends.
Then ... I must change oil ; to 12000 kms (or 1 year) ?????
- is not problem at 9.000 kms or 10.000 kms .. -
Yesterday ; i had the 24000 kms ; and I did the 24000 km service and changed the spark plugs, oil (10 40w synthetic repsol) and 2 filters - air and oil -. Monday I will change front suspension fork oil ... and wheels: metzeler roadtec z8 Interact.
Sounds generally sound. However, keep in mind the interval recommendations are typically based on "average" load and environment conditions. That is, if for example you ride daily in profuse heat and dusty conditions, the maintenance interval should be shorter (i.e. more frequent).
 
Thread starter
my use in spain / zaragoza city; it is daily city; even to go buy bread. rain or get very hot (35 degrees C. in summer). in spring etc I go out with my wife; but without field dust or desert ... the truth is that in 12 months I do about 9,000 kms; With which ; I am glad that the times of the series 2014-2106 have changed to the 2017-2019; which is logical since it is the same engine, cooling system, injection, compression ... etc. (just change the slipper clutch). good for sling.
 
I have not been clear. :( Apologies.

The service interval for 2010-16 CB1100s remains 6,000 kms. For 2017- bikes it has increased.
 
Thread starter
I don't mind changing the 6000 km (high quality 10 40w Repsol synthetic oil); but I don't understand how: same engine; identical; all the same regarding the engine / gearbox ... suddenly the 2017 models the changes are at 12,000 kms .... I really don't understand it since there is nothing different about the engine. but nothing ....
 
Alfgaxatico_imp said:
I don't mind changing the 6000 km (high quality 10 40w Repsol synthetic oil); but I don't understand how: same engine; identical; all the same regarding the engine / gearbox ... suddenly the 2017 models the changes are at 12,000 kms .... I really don't understand it since there is nothing different about the engine. but nothing ....
It might be possible Honda has improved the cylinder wall and/or ring surface treatment technology. This may not be something they would advertise on later model CBs, but just an evolution of tiny improvements.

Or maybe Honda did nothing, but realized they were too conservative on their user's manual recommendation.

Nevertheless, the lump is quite devine and common maintenance practice that we best know still applies.
 
It's a Honda, Alfgaxatico. You could probably change the oil and filter every 12,000 kms with no worries at all. I choose not to, but that's mostly because I'm not confident I know enough about it to make the call. Maybe you could compromise and change the oil etc every 9,000 kms.
 
Alfgaxatico_imp said:
I don't mind changing the 6000 km (high quality 10 40w Repsol synthetic oil); but I don't understand how: same engine; identical; all the same regarding the engine / gearbox ... suddenly the 2017 models the changes are at 12,000 kms .... I really don't understand it since there is nothing different about the engine. but nothing ....
Consider the possibility of difference in materials used for the internals of the engine.
And this 6000km is actually 6400, 12800, 19200 and so on because in miles it would be 4000, 8000, 12000 and so on (or every 6 months)
Filter is changed every second oil change. So overall it's not a huge investment. How much is a quart of this Repsol oil you are using?
I normally use Motul or Liqui Molly on all my bikes, and a heavier grade (10w50) as we ride in excessive heat for the better part of the year, and it never gets cold, and I found that buying a 2x4l canisters saves me around 60$ - not much but one can get a lot of beer for that

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Could it be the change on service interval had more to do with environmental concern rather than the longevity of the engine (change more = more waste oil)? Or because of the lubricant and fuel technology advancement?
As far as I know, operating the CB1100 in hot, dusty and dirty area would have the the oil cook up pretty bad even before 5000km. Most of modern bike sold in my country are listing 10k km service interval, but non of the dealer ever recommend it. Its dusty, high humidity, raining all the time, and always high temperature (>35C) here. High reving engine's oil rarely last more than 5k km before the engine oil drop below the minimum line. And anything used more than 3000 km and you'll start to feel the engine smoothness being affected.
Nonetheless, with green supporter pushing for less and less carbon burning engine, the longevity of the engine is no longer an important factor. Look at all the targeted No fossil fuel vehicle timeline..
 
Alfgaxatico_imp said:
I don't mind changing the 6000 km (high quality 10 40w Repsol synthetic oil); but I don't understand how: same engine; identical; all the same regarding the engine / gearbox ... suddenly the 2017 models the changes are at 12,000 kms .... I really don't understand it since there is nothing different about the engine. but nothing ....
In my opinion, use full-synthetic oil and change oil and filter once a year and you'll be fine.
 
Thread starter
gracias amigo . el aceite repsol; 10 40w sintetico cuesta 16 € / litro. y aqui en zaragoza, norte se españa en verano es unos 30 grados y lleva mi CB1100 ex 2014; 23700 kms. conduzco siempre maximo 2500 rpm (en 1a y 2a velocidad) muy suave (soy ya viejo 55 años).
 
I would call that 1st 2nd gear riding more stressful for the engine oil (I could be wrong), frequent accelerating and slowing down, frequent gear changes, and going slow doesn't give a lot of airflow for cooling the engine, so I think probably stick to the 6000 interval. And 16€ is a standard price for good quality oil at least here in Dubai

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Back
Top