Engine guards install help

holy666diver_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I got the Honda genuine engine guards for my 2014. I went to install today and got the engine bolts loose and nut off but I could get the bolt to come out! Felt like it was stuck. Anyone have this problem? Do you need to force it out or something about to have the dealer do it.
 
I was able to do the right side, but could not get the bolt loose on the left one. I took it to the dealer; they did it in less than 10 min and charged me their minimum charge which I think was $20.00. Worth it to me!
 
holy666diver_imp said:
Wonder it I should tap the end of a bolt with a hammer. i just worry I won't be able to get it back in!!
If you loosened the bolts on both sides of the engine, it may have dropped slightly binding the bolts.

If you just do one side at a time, snugging the bolts for the new guard on one side, the engine should not drop enough to bind the bolts on the other side. Then even if you need to tap a bolt (use a rubber mallet if possible) to remove it from the other side, you should still be able to get it back in without damaging the threads.
 
Thread starter
I was doing it one side and a time. Well the dealer would charge $40 to do it. I mean it will only take 10 mins to do Uggghhh think I may try the mallet
 
Be carefull...if you can't get that bolt back in, you won't be able to ride it. I'd spend the $40...peace of mind.
Holy666diver...are you sure you're trying to remove the correct bolt?
Here's a shot of the Honda guard on my bike...it doesn't seem to be the engine mount at all.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Both of those bolts attach to the engine mount.
 
One of the rear engine mounts is rubber. This will allow the engine to drop some when you release the front bolts even if the remaining bolts are tight.
dlhmatt has the right idea with supporting the engine with a jack and a piece of wood. DO NOT USE THE OIL FILTER AS A JACKING POINT.
Adjust the jack until the bolt can be pulled out. Even with a jack you may have to "tap" the bolts a bit, which is ok in the grand scheme of things.
 
Thread starter
Got the bolt out!! Both guards on now! Just had to keep loosening it after the nut was off! Only thing that concerns me is the instructions said to torque the engine bolts to 36 lb ft which I did and to the bottom bracket to only 9 lb ft , feel like that wouldn't be tight enough. There is a little gap where the mounting backet at the bottom meets the gaurd. Thinking its normal
 
That bottom bolt that holds the clamp to the frame is pretty small so you don't want to over do it.
 
That lower mounting clamp bracket and thin bolt does seem a bit strange (possibly weak link) to me too.
Perhaps we need to keep an eye on it from time to time that it's still tight and also not slipped or deformed.
 
Thread starter
Well I redid the install this time I used blue thread lock on the bottom bracket. So glad I tried this again before letting the dealer do it.
 
Back
Top