Engine dies when I put in 1st gear (yes, clutch is engaged)

13cb1100_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Frustrated! Hope someone has an idea...

Bought a new 2013 CB1100, now have 375 miles on it. Bike was dealer showroom for almost 2 years. Everything stock.

Start bike...starts instantly after sitting all day at my work, outside. Pull clutch in, put in 1st gear, engine dies. Many times I've done this, put in neutral, re-start engine, pull in clutch, 1st gear, dies. However, once I turn the key off, wait a minute, try again, it works fine.

If this was a neutral safety switch, I'd think the bike would not start, or not recognize its in neutral when starting. However, it seems the clutch does not engage...like I'm putting it in gear w/o the clutch. Yes, i adjusted the knob on the clutch lever but did not matter. My search here yielded nothing.

This has happened twice, 2 days in a row...both times after riding to work, sitting 8 hours (both me and the bike...hehe!), then starting it for ride home (15 miles each way).

Ideas? I'm stumped. :dodgy:
 
Side stand safety switch is the most likely culprit. Make sure it is adjusted properly with the stand up.
Make sure the stand is going all the way up as well. I've had the exact same situation only to find the stand did not go up all the way.
 
It sure does sound like the kickstand safety switch. Wire the switch hot for a few days and see if you can duplicate the problem. If all is fine it's probably either the spring on your kickstand for the switch is bad
 
I somewhat hate that switch. I know it's for safety and I know it's easy to bypass, but all my old bikes never had these and I still get caught out doing my ingrained habit of kicking it into gear, putting the stand up and riding away.
 
I have a self imposed ban on giving mechanical advice anymore! :) But they sure do sound right! It happens on dual sport bikes too when you get a bunch of mud and muck stuck around the side stand switch. Good luck!
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the replies....didn't know it had that. I'll check it out and let you know. Frustrating to be at work, dozens and dozens walking by you as you keep killing the bike trying to put in gear! At least the helmet and sunglasses somewhat hid who I was....sort of.

By the way, it did it again just 30 mins ago. Will check it out.
 
Not to be obvious, but you 'did' have the kickstand actually up before putting it in gear, right? If not, this is exactly what happens...
 
kennyw_imp said:
Side stand safety switch is the most likely culprit. Make sure it is adjusted properly with the stand up.
Make sure the stand is going all the way up as well. I've had the exact same situation only to find the stand did not go up all the way.
YES.

The tendency, on many bikes including the CB, is for the side-stand to not always flop up to completely retracted. It'll hang up halfway, especially if there's dirt or road muck or if the pivot is dry and needs grease.

Make sure it's up.

If that's not it: Can you put it in 2nd and not kill the engine? If you cannot, probably it's a bad or misadjusted side-stand safety switch.
 
Hey... What ever was the result here?
 
What!? Technical stuff on the agenda too?
 
How ate up is it when you wonder the outcome of members issues while on vaca?
 
Mate, it's tragic. But then you're in a car not on a bike. A man of your sensibilities will be getting all the vicarious hits he can!
 
13cb1100_imp said:
Frustrated! Hope someone has an idea...

Bought a new 2013 CB1100, now have 375 miles on it. Bike was dealer showroom for almost 2 years. Everything stock.

Start bike...starts instantly after sitting all day at my work, outside. Pull clutch in, put in 1st gear, engine dies. Many times I've done this, put in neutral, re-start engine, pull in clutch, 1st gear, dies. However, once I turn the key off, wait a minute, try again, it works fine.

If this was a neutral safety switch, I'd think the bike would not start, or not recognize its in neutral when starting. However, it seems the clutch does not engage...like I'm putting it in gear w/o the clutch. Yes, i adjusted the knob on the clutch lever but did not matter. My search here yielded nothing.

This has happened twice, 2 days in a row...both times after riding to work, sitting 8 hours (both me and the bike...hehe!), then starting it for ride home (15 miles each way).

Ideas? I'm stumped. :dodgy:
My bike too is a 2013 with 375 miles. While riding today, bike lost power to engine while riding up in the mountains. Stopped, pointed bike downhill, and coasted for 100 ft. Put bike into into neutral it started, put it into gear it died. Tried again in neutral and starts, then shift to 2nd, and it keeps running so I head home. Get home everything is OK, does not exhibit symptoms from 30 minutes earlier. I am stumped.
 
Only 385 mile! If switch is not the issue, put some Tecron in the tank with pure fresh gas, and get yourself some yeeha.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
redbirds_imp said:
gossman_imp said:
check the kickstand switch
Second that.
Second that.
To: Electronic experts
Help

Can I just bypass it altogether? If so, how?
Would ride more, but ruptured two discs in upper back so riding has been limited. Good news is that it is feeling much better.
 
aschem_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
gossman_imp said:
check the kickstand switch
Second that.
Second that.
To: Electronic experts
Help

Can I just bypass it altogether? If so, how?
Would ride more, but ruptured two discs in upper back so riding has been limited. Good news is that it is feeling much better.
I would guess that it is a normally open switch and to bypass would require splicing two wires together at the switch. I don't have a service manual in front of me to verify though.
 
Back
Top