Engine Died

postoak_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I was stopping -- almost stopped -- when my engine stopped. I put in neutral and turned the ignition off and on and went inside the store I was visiting. When I came out the bike started okay but after driving 50 yards to a stop sign it stopped again and now won't restart. Any ideas?

Not a CB but a honda.
It was the kill switch. I flipped it off and back on then gently toward the off position. It doesn't have to move even a mm. before it kills the engine. So perhaps I bumped it getting it out of the garage and then vibration moved it just enough to kill the engine.
 
Those kill switches get a lot of people, that and side stand switches lol. GLad it wasn't anything serious.
 
Ha Ha! Glad I never did that on my ST on I95 going 75 in heavy 4th of July traffic:P

Oh yeah, that was fun :rolleyes:
 
Thread starter
It's interesting that both times it happened I was coming to a stop. Perhaps the force of my inertia on the bars moved the switch just that tiny bit required to kill the engine. (?)
 
Thread starter
It turns out this is a known problem with 1800s. Some recommend using the kill switch every time you ride to prevent the sensitivity. Others recommend spraying contact cleaner in it without disassembling. Still others had theirs replaced under warranty. I'm going to start using mine.
 
Never use mine, never have.always considered it an emergency kill switch if I ever fell over
 
In over 50 years of riding I've never had occasion to use a kill switch. For me, it's a useless device that adds one more potential electric problem source. BTW, my CB is one of those with a sensitive kill switch; touch it lightly and the engine dies.
 
Thread starter
Has anyone here opened it up to see what is going on? I suspect it is going to be about the same as the one on my 1800.
 
redbirds_imp said:
In over 50 years of riding I've never had occasion to use a kill switch. For me, it's a useless device that adds one more potential electric problem source. BTW, my CB is one of those with a sensitive kill switch; touch it lightly and the engine dies.
I'm the same way. Many years ago I used to use the kill switch to shut off the bike. Seemed like a good idea until the switch wore out and left me stranded. Now I (almost) never touch it. Almost? Well, when I was taken down by a deer a few years back, the bike started revving high as we both lay on our sides in the road. Turns out the kill switch was easily within reach and the ignition key was not. Worked as it was supposed to. I hope I never have to use it again :D
 
Pretty sure MSF training emphasizes using the kill switch all the time so that it's an automatic reflex to use it if you really need to.
 
Thread starter
Doesn't the CB1100 owner's manual say NOT to use the kill switch as a replacement for the ignition switch?

However, on the Nighthawks and CB board, it is commonly recommended to use the kill switch instead of the ignition switch because using either one will wear it out and a kill switch is much cheaper to replace than an ignition switch.
 
postoak_imp said:
Doesn't the CB1100 owner's manual say NOT to use the kill switch as a replacement for the ignition switch?

However, on the Nighthawks and CB board, it is commonly recommended to use the kill switch instead of the ignition switch because using either one will wear it out and a kill switch is much cheaper to replace than an ignition switch.
Don't you still have to turn off the ignition after shutting off the bike with the kill switch?
 
Yes unless you want to drain your battery
 
Thread starter
Flynrider_imp said:
postoak_imp said:
Doesn't the CB1100 owner's manual say NOT to use the kill switch as a replacement for the ignition switch?

However, on the Nighthawks and CB board, it is commonly recommended to use the kill switch instead of the ignition switch because using either one will wear it out and a kill switch is much cheaper to replace than an ignition switch.
Don't you still have to turn off the ignition after shutting off the bike with the kill switch?
Don't you still have to turn off the ignition after shutting off the bike with the kill switch?
Yes, but apparently the current flowing through it then is much less and I guess that is what they were saying is bad for it.
 
Back
Top