Engine clicking/ticking metallic noise! WTF?

Tortuga_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Ok, so my bike's only got 350 miles on when I take it for a ride tonight, and notice when I rev it up a bit at some traffic lights some nasty noises. Sounds like a metallic 'ting ting' which I'm imagining to be huge lumps of swarf destroying my engine.

It's when I stopped and checked it seems to be when I open the throttle from idle as in 'blipping the throttle' that this nasty noise eminates.

I've read the other threads concerning fuel injectors etc, but WHY would mine only start making these noises after 350 plus miles?

P.s checked the oil sight glass after 5 mins stationary at a pub I stopped at and couldn't see any line at all..looked solid, and yes I wiped the glass.

Help!:-/
 
Seems all Hondas I've ever owned came from the factory overfilled. I no longer worry about it, but will probably drain mine this weekend and refresh out of principal, but I wouldn't be afraid to run mine to the 600 mile service. I'm halfway there already. Drain some if it makes you feel better.

The ticking noise we have identified as injectors seems to be loudest when accelerating just after shifting into second gear, but it is there all the time, just loudest when under load, thats why many of us unfamiliar with injector noises thought it was pre detonation from too low of a grade of fuel.

If you think it might be something more ominous, I suggest you swing by the shop where you bought the bike and let them listen to it.
 
On my noisy bike thread you can hear the ticks I believe, along with the bad noise. The ticks though are there and normal. If you think it is different do a video and share so we all can hear.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Ok, so my bike's only got 350 miles on when I take it for a ride tonight, and notice when I rev it up a bit at some traffic lights some nasty noises. Sounds like a metallic 'ting ting' which I'm imagining to be huge lumps of swarf destroying my engine.

It's when I stopped and checked it seems to be when I open the throttle from idle as in 'blipping the throttle' that this nasty noise eminates.

I've read the other threads concerning fuel injectors etc, but WHY would mine only start making these noises after 350 plus miles?

P.s checked the oil sight glass after 5 mins stationary at a pub I stopped at and couldn't see any line at all..looked solid, and yes I wiped the glass.

Help!:-/
Hey Tortuga,

I think I know which sound you're talking about. The most noticable of the ticking sounds is under hard acceleration. It's a rhythmic ticking that starts when the throttle is opened substantially.

On the ticking thread last year, I also noted that there is a similar ticking when you blip the throttle at idle. This one is not rhythmic and only consists of one or two ticks when you open the throttle, then one or two when you close it. I believe these ticks have the same source as the "wide open throttle" ticking. It appears to be switches or relays in FI system responding to the change in throttle position. Mine has been doing it since new.

I think the problem is that these bikes are so quiet, you can easily hear all of the electro mechanical noises that are usually covered up by a noisier bike.
 
Thread starter
You guys are all my heroes!:thanks:

You've consoled me that my bike isn't going to explode any second now. I will keep an ear out and maybe drop the oil as a precaution.

I forgot to mention, since my bike was a year old when I got it but had only covered 104 miles, the dealership serviced it for me (supposedly) before I picked it up, so if it is overfilled it is their fault rather than the japs who made it.

I also doubt they put the prescribed 10-30W oil in as I envisage a bulk tank of 10-40W in the corner of the workshop and a mechanic who couldn't care less what oil he uses!

Maybe I'm getting cynical in my old age (early forties) lol.

:cool:
 
I agree with dealer bulk tank, we have a Nissan Murano that came with "free" oil changes, the oil cap and manual said to use 5-30, when I specified they use that weight they said it would be extra because that is special...so essentially they were offering free oil only in the wrong weight, if I wanted the recommended weight, I had to pay....I switched dealers regardless of free or not.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
I agree with dealer bulk tank, we have a Nissan Murano that came with "free" oil changes, the oil cap and manual said to use 5-30, when I specified they use that weight they said it would be extra because that is special...so essentially they were offering free oil only in the wrong weight, if I wanted the recommended weight, I had to pay....I switched dealers regardless of free or not.
That's absurd. Not using the specified oil can void the warranty. Of course you switched dealers.
Don't anyone wear earplugs? I wouldn't hear the noise if it was there, which it ain't.
 
That's absurd. Not using the specified oil can void the warranty.
[/QUOTE]

So when my dealership did my first service and they did not use the recommended 10w30 they voided my warranty!?



Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
dBuster_imp said:
That's absurd. Not using the specified oil can void the warranty.

So when my dealership did my first service and they did not use the recommended 10w30 they voided my warranty!?



Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE]
What did they use? Fish oil?:rofl:
Don't they show that on the work order?

"4 quarts Cod Liver Oil"
"1 Cotton Wad Filter"

I service all my own bikes and keep records of the purchases of oil, filters, and other items. So I know for sure what was poured in. My bikes only have a one-year warranty anyway and one of 'em is up, the others will be up soon. So if they break after that it's on me anyway.

But back to the car...if the guy had a deal for free maintenance (many dealers do this now for at least two years) then they gotta use the oil recommended by the manufacturer, not whatever they have layin' around, or whatever's convenient. So that ain't right and the guy was smart to find another dealership. And he'd have had a good case to make to Nissan Corporate about this.

And anyhoo it's just plain stoopid for a service department to say they would refuse to use the oil that is clearly recommended on the oil filler cap!
 
dBuster_imp said:
That's absurd. Not using the specified oil can void the warranty.

So when my dealership did my first service and they did not use the recommended 10w30 they voided my warranty!?



Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE] That's absurd. Not using the specified oil can void the warranty.
So when my dealership did my first service and they did not use the recommended 10w30 they voided my warranty!?



Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE]

dBuster, I can't claim any familiarity with US consumer law, but I'd be surprised. Are they authorised Honda dealers? What they are likely to have done is assume all responsibility for any problems arising from their failure to do the job to spec. How easy it might be to make that stick is another matter altogether!
 
Reminds me of when I started hearing a little popping noise when accelerating on my VFR, turned out to be normal...pair solenoid or something like that

Strange Popping Noise

It's funny, I never listened much to the CB because it runs so well and so quietly, now I'm reading these threads I'm listening out for all these different 'sounds' I missed before...:)
 
Aussie_imp said:
Reminds me of when I started hearing a little popping noise when accelerating on my VFR, turned out to be normal...pair solenoid or something like that

Strange Popping Noise

It's funny, I never listened much to the CB because it runs so well and so quietly, now I'm reading these threads I'm listening out for all these different 'sounds' I missed before...:)
Me too, and I bought a new helmet at the time this started which changed what I hear quite a bit. Most alarming!:(
 
Thread starter
Aussie_imp said:
Reminds me of when I started hearing a little popping noise when accelerating on my VFR, turned out to be normal...pair solenoid or something like that

Strange Popping Noise

It's funny, I never listened much to the CB because it runs so well and so quietly, now I'm reading these threads I'm listening out for all these different 'sounds' I missed before...:)
Cormanus_imp said:
Aussie_imp said:
Reminds me of when I started hearing a little popping noise when accelerating on my VFR, turned out to be normal...pair solenoid or something like that

Strange Popping Noise

It's funny, I never listened much to the CB because it runs so well and so quietly, now I'm reading these threads I'm listening out for all these different 'sounds' I missed before...:)
Me too, and I bought a new helmet at the time this started which changed what I hear quite a bit. Most alarming!:(
Me too, and I bought a new helmet at the time this started which changed what I hear quite a bit. Most alarming!:(
So have you guys heard the 'tick tick tick' sounds under acceleration yet?

I can get it to do it at idle, every time. Just crack her open a little and rev it, there it is, a metallic tick.
 
^^^
No I haven't specifically heard that noise, that doesn't mean that it's an issue per se. This is just my anecdotal view, but the bike 'feels' better and smoother to ride now I've done 10000 kms. I'll have a specific listen when I go for a ride tomorrow..
 
Aussie_imp said:
^^^
No I haven't specifically heard that noise, that doesn't mean that it's an issue per se. This is just my anecdotal view, but the bike 'feels' better and smoother to ride now I've done 10000 kms. I'll have a specific listen when I go for a ride tomorrow..

See post 2 in this thread. When you hear the ticking do not be alarmed it is fuel injectors clicking, but sounds very much like the pre detonation from low grade fuel on a carbed model motorcycle or car when under load.
 
I think everybody is tripping out over nothing, air cooled engines make more noise because there out in the open and not cover up and water cooled which can hide the noise.
 
wayne van horn_imp said:
I think everybody is tripping out over nothing, air cooled engines make more noise because there out in the open and not cover up and water cooled which can hide the noise.
I agree, mine's done this from the beginning, I'm wringing it to redline quite often. The noise comes and goes.

We had a thread about this same noise last summer. Never amounted to anything.:beerchug:
 
Mine made funny noises after it sat a month, a definite clicking during warm up. It went away after couple of rides.

But in other cases, like when I installed an air funnel or K&N filter or new exhaust or PCV I thought I heard funny noises, Those were probably caused by a bit of fear and uncertainty that creap into my subconsious, making me super sensitive to perceived wierd sounds.

I agree the air cooled engine is by nature an animal of many different noises. One suggested cure is to install a louder set of headers and exhaust. :)
 
Back
Top