Engine break in test - recommended vs aggressive

Poor bloke. Interesting topic and well reported, I thought.
 
Interesting video. Can't say I was really surprised with the results. Engine technology and metallurgy have come a long way since the old days of detailed engine break-in procedures.

That said, I'll be breaking in my archaic, 4 cyl, air-cooled airplane engine next month with a very specific set of instructions for the first 25 flight hrs. (mostly running hard at max cruise power). The engine design is slightly older than I am. :D :D
 
I'll bet it will be good to be airborne again, Flyn. And thrashing it!
 
chync_imp said:
Interesting video comparing engine break in methods.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's good to get some facts backing what I thought: just being gentle during the first few (500?) miles will be enough. Just ride!

It would be interesting another comparison of warming-up methods: idle for a few minutes, then ride as hard as you want, versus riding right away just being gentle for the first few (10?) miles.

I use the second method. I think it's more efficient, more "eco-friendly", and takes less time and fuel. (I do a short commute with my bike every day, so... every little helps!)

For some reason, those in my area who like to let it idle for some minutes to warm-up, usually have exhausts that are way too loud :-/
 
jtopiso_imp said:
chync_imp said:
Interesting video comparing engine break in methods.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's good to get some facts backing what I thought: just being gentle during the first few (500?) miles will be enough. Just ride!

It would be interesting another comparison of warming-up methods: idle for a few minutes, then ride as hard as you want, versus riding right away just being gentle for the first few (10?) miles.

I use the second method. I think it's more efficient, more "eco-friendly", and takes less time and fuel. (I do a short commute with my bike every day, so... every little helps!)

For some reason, those in my area who like to let it idle for some minutes to warm-up, usually have exhausts that are way too loud :-/
The second way is the one I warm up the engines of my motorbikes too for the same reasons. Don't like to let them idle for a minute or longer after the start and then start the ride.

Wisedrum
 
Back
Top