(End of) Winter Storage

Wagonpeddler_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Only had my 2014 CB for a week. Haven't driven it yet...still winter here. Preparing previous bikes for winter storage, I would always put a little oil in each cylinder. With about 4-6 weeks left before riding season starts, should I add some oil to the cylinders?
Thanks
 
I stopped doing that back in 1985. But also since then, I find opportunities to ride during the winter. Not completely sure about the CB1100 lump, but modern Honda engine cylinder wall engineering is not our grandfather's motorcycle.
 
My bikes sit in an unheated garage from November to early May. I keep them on a battery tender with Stabil in the gas and they never fail to start immediately. You can add some fogging oil to yours but I really don’t think it’s necessary for such a short period of non-use.
 
I don't store mine, but if I did I would follow LongRanger's method. I would also put it on the centerstand, make sure the tires are aired and put a piece of cardboard under the front tire.
 
"....With about 4-6 weeks left before riding season starts, should I add some oil to the cylinders?"

I have never done this for seasonal storage. If it were for a couple years or longer, especially if to be in an unconditioned garage where it would condensate, I might spray a bit of WD40 in the cylinders as well as wipe it down with. Hopefully we'll be able to get them out to occasionally ride starting in a few weeks.
 
With the warmup coming this week I plan to get my CB out. I can handle 55 degrees or so for modest distances. I like to keep the storage time as short as possible, even though it will be a handful of months in WI.

I have my battery topped off, will do the tire psi check & lube the chain too.
 
Wednesday-Thursday, +10-15*C respectively...may pull my horses out and ride them or one of them
:biker:
 
I got this battery, wanted to order it before my last work trip. I’ll put it in tomorrow, rather we’ll charged on arrival, Walmart.

I’m not saying it’s good or not, reviews seem ok. My picture is to big, ‘Mighty Max’ blue battery.
 
sourdough44_imp said:
I got this battery, wanted to order it before my last work trip. I’ll put it in tomorrow, rather we’ll charged on arrival, Walmart.

I’m not saying it’s good or not, reviews seem ok. My picture is to big, ‘Mighty Max’ blue battery.
The LiFePO4 offering looks kinda blue too.

I probably would have tried for the lithium if the specs were a fit.
 
I don't know if this actually works, but when my bike hasn't been started in weeks I give it full throttle while hitting the starter button. The starter will turn the engine without starting. I think this feature allows you to unload a flooded engine. I do it to pump oil up into the engine before starting after long periods of storage. It always starts as soon as I start it with throttle off. I do the same for my CB1000R. I have no idea if oil actually pumps up to the valves etc... with this technique.
 
Searcher_imp said:
I don't know if this actually works, but when my bike hasn't been started in weeks I give it full throttle while hitting the starter button. The starter will turn the engine without starting. I think this feature allows you to unload a flooded engine. I do it to pump oil up into the engine before starting after long periods of storage. It always starts as soon as I start it with throttle off. I do the same for my CB1000R. I have no idea if oil actually pumps up to the valves etc... with this technique.
Interesting, indeed.

To get oil upstairs, the starter would have to work quite a bit to push that cold, ol' sittin' sludge by way of engine motion.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Searcher_imp said:
I don't know if this actually works, but when my bike hasn't been started in weeks I give it full throttle while hitting the starter button. The starter will turn the engine without starting. I think this feature allows you to unload a flooded engine. I do it to pump oil up into the engine before starting after long periods of storage. It always starts as soon as I start it with throttle off. I do the same for my CB1000R. I have no idea if oil actually pumps up to the valves etc... with this technique.
Interesting, indeed.

To get oil upstairs, the starter would have to work quite a bit to push that cold, ol' sittin' sludge by way of engine motion.
Interesting, indeed.

To get oil upstairs, the starter would have to work quite a bit to push that cold, ol' sittin' sludge by way of engine motion.

I do it on a warmer day. I hit the starter about 10 seconds with full throttle. I wait a minute for it to cool down and hit the starter again with throttle off. It starts instantly
 
First ride of the year today (actually, since last November, so the bike sat for five months). Unplugged the Battery Tender, topped off the tires, and the bike started immediately and ran perfectly. Oh how I’ve missed it!
 
LongRanger_imp said:
First ride of the year today (actually, since last November, so the bike sat for five months). Unplugged the Battery Tender, topped off the tires, and the bike started immediately and ran perfectly. Oh how I’ve missed it!
Excellent. And that is how it should be with a Honda.
 
Does LongRanger even have a Honda?
 
Back
Top