Emgo fairing

I didn't trim at the horns. It does touch though. I should double check and see if it should be trimmed.

For the turn signals, I put the center of the half circle at 1.5 inches below the centerline of the mounting slot. This ended up being too high and I had to expand the notch. It was probably closer to 1.75 inches as seen in picture 7.
 
Kenny, thanks again, I'll measure closely. Another friendly chap on the forum here named captwb sent me some good go-by's too.

Quick question, what is the material you put in between your gauges and the windshield? It looks like some foam tape of some type?

kennyw_imp said:
I didn't trim at the horns. It does touch though. I should double check and see if it should be trimmed.

For the turn signals, I put the center of the half circle at 1.5 inches below the centerline of the mounting slot. This ended up being too high and I had to expand the notch. It was probably closer to 1.75 inches as seen in picture 7.
 
It's camper tape. Foam tape with adhesive only on one side. I had it laying around.
 
Finally got off my lazy behind and finished installing mine and taking a road test.

I'm still impressed at how nice it looks and is built considering the price. Was rock steady at speed unlike my Road Comet which flexed a bit especially when I had the 'touring' windscreen with the flip on the end. Helps that the Emgo rests against the back of the instruments on some silicone weather stripping that I had laying around.

I would say it raises the comfortable cruising speed from 60 MPH up to 70 MPH compared to the Dart Flyscreen I just removed. Can run a steady 80 MPH now. Airflow does hit me about shoulder height, clean air hitting my visor.

I sat up straight to raise my helmet to compare with clean airflow above the fairing and didn't notice any difference so I think the airflow off the Emgo windscreen is pretty smooth.

Don't think this would replace a bigger windshield for touring purposes but it works well as a warm weather wind deflector ..... plus it looks so dang cool!

If you really wanted to boost that airflow over your helmet, I think the Laminar Lip might kick it up high enough. Saving that experiment for some day in the future when I run out of other things to play with on the CB11.

Aloha,
Huladog
 
I went back and did a bit more trimming to clear the horns. Turns out I was pressing up against them making them sound funny. Now I have a little extra clearance at the gauges.

a104e63153e9ef4196fbf484ec7ebd63.jpg


I also added a washer between the fairing and headlight bracket and changed the bolts out for black finished button heads left over from my Honda rear rack hardware kit.

347a9a8b03a8e0ec91d034c1080a41d9.jpg


bdfb9fd6b3431bd1213cdfcc5b0f6b2d.jpg
 
treytexag_imp said:
Kenny, thanks again, I'll measure closely. Another friendly chap on the forum here named captwb sent me some good go-by's too.

Quick question, what is the material you put in between your gauges and the windshield? It looks like some foam tape of some type?

kennyw_imp said:
I didn't trim at the horns. It does touch though. I should double check and see if it should be trimmed.

For the turn signals, I put the center of the half circle at 1.5 inches below the centerline of the mounting slot. This ended up being too high and I had to expand the notch. It was probably closer to 1.75 inches as seen in picture 7.

you dont need to trim at the horns. just loosen the nut, take a channel locks and bend the horn bracket tab down (not the whole bracket, but just the part that doesnt allow the horns to be rotated down, you'll see) then rotate the horns down a bit and tighten the nut back down.
this tab




not sure if you can tell but my horns are closer together than yours...


and now that im looking at it i need to adjust mine because theyre a bit crooked....
 
I like having the horns tucked in and less visible. I did bend the brackets back slightly before getting serious about trimming.
 
If I wanted to paint mine before I fit it, what would you recommend? I've never painted plastic before. I've painted steel and aluminum, and of course wood, but never plastic. Is there a special brand / type of spray paint I should use? Also, color - flat black, or gloss black like the outside?

MMC_imp said:
One thing I wish I did was to paint inside black before installing.....

Sent from me......
 
Just look for a plastic specific paint of any brand if you use a spray can. The important point is that the paint needs to remain flexible after it cures so it doesn't crack and flake off.
 
kennyw_imp said:
Just look for a plastic specific paint of any brand if you use a spray can. The important point is that the paint needs to remain flexible after it cures so it doesn't crack and flake off.
Ahh YES . . . . I wasn't considering the flexible part. That is critical. I'll paint it with a spray can, guess I'll head to my hardware store and see what they have there.
 
ryanschillinger_imp said:
Krylon Fusion is for plastic. Otherwise, use an adhesion promoter as directed before spraying normal paint on plastic.
Thanks, that's what I just recently ran across, the Krylon. :thumbsup:

My Emgo should be here just after the holiday, now to look into headlight screw size/length, and grommet options in preparation.
 
Hello All,

great pics and info given for this screen. Does anyone know if it will fit the 2013? Did I read somewhere the 2014 Black's instruments are slightly different sized or shaped that 2013s?
 
buckwheat_imp said:
Hello All,

great pics and info given for this screen. Does anyone know if it will fit the 2013? Did I read somewhere the 2014 Black's instruments are slightly different sized or shaped that 2013s?
I have one on my '13. Easy peasey.
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
buckwheat_imp said:
Hello All,

great pics and info given for this screen. Does anyone know if it will fit the 2013? Did I read somewhere the 2014 Black's instruments are slightly different sized or shaped that 2013s?
I have one on my '13. Easy peasey.
I have one on my '13. Easy peasey.
Thanks bro. I'm a little rusty on my bike specs. I'm just browsing through the forums to see any new gear, ideas, posts. Even old posts too. Lol
 
The only downside is this screen is difficult to find now.
 
Back
Top