Electrical-Tape Issue

Wildbeard_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Today I noticed near the intake and on the clutch wiring harness that the finish was done in electrical tape. Has anyone else noticed usage of electrical tape on their CB1100? I find it hard to believe the electrical engineers at Honda designed this bike to be delivered to the customer with electrical tape on it, but alas, that's what my dealer is telling me. Apparently they have seen the issue on other CB1100's and Honda says that is how they are delivering the bikes.

Am I crazy or is this bad workmanship?
 
Can you post a picture? Not sure where you are talking about.
 
I've got four Honda's. Pretty sure I've seen electrical tape used on all of them.

Is this a bad thing? What's the alternative?
 
My Suzuki had lots of factory-applied tape on the wiring. It lifted in a couple exposed places, but I just re-wrapped it with better tape. Really no big deal.
 
The item that Deanohh referenced. I fixed mine with that silicone tape that isn't really sticky, but sticks to itself. Its used, at least, in Naval avaition but is available at Home Depot, and other places. Comes in a small roll, black or clear. It has a clear plastic strip that you peal off and then wrap the stuff, pulling it some to stretch it and it sticks to itself.

It doesn't get sticky when it gets hot as there is no adhesive like on regular electricians tape.

I just can't remember what it is called. Some help huh? I can look when I get home if needed.
 
Ok went put and tried to figure out what wildbeard was talking about. Two rubber covered snap connectors just forward of the clutch lever assy and below the clutch master cylinder. I believe thats for the clutch interlock so that you can be in gear, pull the clutch in and start it. Mine is electrical taped too. Funny thing is my top blade connector was almost off its post. I had to push it back on. Thanks wildbeard for mentioning it. I might not have seen that otherwise.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Ok went put and tried to figure out what wildbeard was talking about. Two rubber covered snap connectors just forward of the clutch lever assy and below the clutch master cylinder. I believe thats for the clutch interlock so that you can be in gear, pull the clutch in and start it. Mine is electrical taped too. Funny thing is my top blade connector was almost off its post. I had to push it back on. Thanks wildbeard for mentioning it. I might not have seen that otherwise.
The clutch interlocks on VStroms are notorious for coming loose, especially after a tipover. Every month someone will post on Stromtrooper.com that their bike won't start, and its almost always that the wires came loose at the clutch lever.
 
Here's the spot wildbeard is referring to. I stuck another piece of electrical tape on there for my piece of mind.

 
The ferret_imp said:
Ok went put and tried to figure out what wildbeard was talking about. Two rubber covered snap connectors just forward of the clutch lever assy and below the clutch master cylinder. I believe thats for the clutch interlock so that you can be in gear, pull the clutch in and start it. Mine is electrical taped too. Funny thing is my top blade connector was almost off its post. I had to push it back on. Thanks wildbeard for mentioning it. I might not have seen that otherwise.
Same here, although it was both connectors backed off. Obviously, something that will need monitoring.
 
Inline4_imp said:
OMG! Look at your master cylinder! The grime, the bugs, the humanity! :D

You should see my leather jacket. Wife won't hug me bye if I'm wearing it lol

I tend to ride a lot more than I wash. I depend on the rain for that most often.
 
I looked at my bike and on the bars, the clutch side is taped and the brake side is not. Could use it though, I'll take care of that.

The stuff I used on the purge valve is Nashua Tape Products Stretch & Seal, silicone sealing tape. I got it at Home Depot.

I love that the packege says NEW, but I was in the Navy in the '70s and we used it then on aircraft and it still is used. It came in a nice little round tin can back then. I have one dated 11/77 and although the label is kinda messed up, it says: something(label tore here), Tape, Electrical Type II.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I looked at my bike and on the bars, the clutch side is taped and the brake side is not. Could use it though, I'll take care of that.

The stuff I used on the purge valve is Nashua Tape Products Stretch & Seal, silicone sealing tape. I got it at Home Depot.

I love that the packege says NEW, but I was in the Navy in the '70s and we used it then on aircraft and it still is used. It came in a nice little round tin can back then. I have one dated 11/77 and although the label is kinda messed up, it says: something(label tore here), Tape, Electrical Type II.

Yep, noticed that. Going to tape that up too. Thanks for the reminder popgun!
 
Ferret,

You are welcome.

And thank you for the 600 mile check procedure. I'll be using it later today. I ride mine about every dry day, but I just hit 600 miles. Its supposed to rain most of the rest of the weekend so I figure today is a good day to do the check, change the oil and all.
 
My pleasure popgun.

Got my brake side taped up, also taped up where a wire comes out of the left side engine cover whatever that is. My only fear is water getting in to those places and causing a short. Probably never happen, but I have a whole roll of black tape, so it doesn't cost me any more to tape things up lol
 
Back
Top