Electrical plug contact cleaning and maintenance

curlyjoe

Road warrior
Thread starter
I'd like to do some preventative maintenance to prevent corrosion of metal electrical contacts in the 2P, 3P and 4P plug connectors for the various sensors including TPS, EOT, IACV, etc. I'm thinking, rightly or wrongly, that some of the low/high idle issues seen by some CB owners could be due to some corrosion on the leads in the plug connectors resulting in intermittent electrical connection problems to and from the ECU.

I'm thinking of unplugging the connector and using an electronics cleaner such as this product from CRC to clean the contacts and then perhaps adding a bit of dielectric grease before reconnecting the plug.

Sound reasonable? If not, other suggestions for products and/or methods to use would be welcome.
 
I'm a big fan if dielectric grease.
When I restored my two vintage bikes I used dielectric grease in every electrical connection on new wiring harnesses.
99.9% of those connections have not been apart in 38 years combined (except for battery removal for winter storage) and both bikes and electrical systems run perfectly.
 
Deoxit cleaner is the product that us BMW old motorcycle riders swear by. And then the dielectric grease. No need to apply so much that it oozes out. Just cover the pins.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Elipten_imp said:
Deoxit cleaner is the product that us BMW old motorcycle riders swear by. And then the dielectric grease. No need to apply so much that it oozes out. Just cover the pins.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agree, a little does the job and no need to make a big mess.
 
I use "tuner" cleaner and contact burnisers to restore old connectors and then apply a small amount of dielectric grease. Never has failed me.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top